Kangaroo Meat

LOL Persephone. If I were to use Nature's Gift, there is no way my other dogs would eat their usual. It is bad enough that they are constantly smelling Gussy Cat's food now that I am feeding her wet food and in the house. :cry::cry: I swish out Gussy's little cans and pour the water into their food.

Visitors tomorrow, so the Crabtree & Evelyn Summer Hill Room Spray will be getting a workout.

I'm just knocking myself out worrying about these little critters of mine. :(:( I'm just so tempted to go back to canned food. My first vet (now retired) fed and feeds all his pets on canned food and they all lived to great ages.

I just hate the thought of what is in it, because I just go into paroxyms of sneezing and coughing on the very rare occasions I have weakened. :(

Thank you for all the educative suggestions. Very much appreciated and have certainly given me a lot to consider.

What I am trying to do is reduce Bunter's calorie intake, but ensure he still has all the necessary nutrition and give him low calorie bulk so he doesn't feel starved. This is why I asked about Kangaroo meat, because I know it is lean and probably would not provide all the necessary nutrients.

The last time I looked, BARF patties were about $20 a pack and, frankly, I already spend huge amounts on my dogs (I have 5) and cannot stretch to BARF patties.

I have discovered something Bunter won't eat LOL. Eggshells. I mashed a raw egg into his breakfast, but he managed to eat everything else and leave the shells. I'll have to use the blender next time. I've left them on the mat to see if he munches on them through the day :laugh:

Bunter is approximately 13 and I have had him for just over two years. He was completely blind because of cataracts, but the wonderful surgeon at Homebush Referral Hospital gave him back his sight.

BARF is a model of raw feeding, you don't need to buy registered BARF patties, you just need to follow the model and make up your own.

with eggshell, DD ..let them dry , then grind them with a pestle & mortar ..or rolling pin & mix with food :)

With old tubbies , perhaps you could use a reasonable canned product - like Nature's Gift ? All in one .. and ,plus some edible bone ... might be OK ?

I put my egg shells in the microwave for a minute or so and they become very brittle. You can then grind them very easily to a fine powder.

At 13 years of age, I'd just feed him what he likes and let him enjoy what time he has left. I don't mean take him to Macca's but I'd not be harsh on him when it comes to diet and trying to get him to lose weight.

I agree with this actually. If he has not been accustomed to raw in the past it can be a bit hard on his tummy. I would have no problem feeding a quality canned food like Natures Gift to an oldie :)

At 13 years of age, I'd just feed him what he likes and let him enjoy what time he has left. I don't mean take him to Macca's but I'd not be harsh on him when it comes to diet and trying to get him to lose weight.

I agree with this actually. If he has not been accustomed to raw in the past it can be a bit hard on his tummy. I would have no problem feeding a quality canned food like Natures Gift to an oldie :)

:) *nods*

with eggshell, DD ..let them dry , then grind them with a pestle & mortar ..or rolling pin & mix with food :)

With old tubbies , perhaps you could use a reasonable canned product - like Nature's Gift ? All in one .. and ,plus some edible bone ... might be OK ?

I put my egg shells in the microwave for a minute or so and they become very brittle. You can then grind them very easily to a fine powder.

Oh :o didn't think of M/wave! I just sit them on a window sill :) Thanks.

:) *nods*

There is no problem with feeding Bunter what he likes, because that is everything, including - eventually - the eggshells. LOL.

I am not concerned to have him lose weight although he could do with about 1.5 kilos off, I just don't want him to put on anymore LOL. I can hardly pick him up as it is :laugh:.

His poops over the past couple of days have been good, so maybe it isn't all the vegetables, maybe just normal off days like we all have when we get older. :(