Titre Testing Costs

My boys are due for their annual vacs and I have made up my mind I am going to titre test this year instead of filling their bodies with unnecessary chemicals. So rang the vets today and got quoted $224. Nearly fell off my chair...and that's each. This is what I was told...Canine Hep needs to go to Scotland, yes you read correctly Scotland for testing, Distemper and Parvo go to WA. This seems a little far doesn't it. Why do they need to go so far, surely there are labs here in SA? What does it cost everyone else and does anyone else know labs that test cheaper?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pay $60 per dog to be tested for parvo and distemper, the blood is sent to WA. I don't know of anyone who has titred for hep, it hasn't been seen in aus for 30 years or something like that so they don't advise worrying about titre levels. Without exposure they would be expected to be quite low as the antibodies have never been needed.

$60 Per dog sounds good. If it goes to the same lab in WA why was I quoted so much more? Does anyone know how this is actually done? Do they take actual viles of blood or is it the type where you just botch a bit of blood on a test strip?

Edited by teela

$60 Per dog sounds good. If it goes to the same lab in WA why was I quoted so much more? Does anyone know how this is actually done? Do they take actual viles of blood or is it the type where you just botch a bit of blood on a test strip?

I'd say it was the Scotland part that bumped up the price. Did that include the consult fee etc?

I had someone ask me the other day if I knew anyone in SA that did titre testing at a decent price, because all the quotes they got were way more than any other state. A DOL search showed that SA seems to be a bit behind the times and oddly expensive. But there are a few SA Dol'ers that titre test, so they can probably point you in a direction that might be better.

It all depends on whether or not the vet has an account set up with vetpath in WA from what I can work out. It costs them nothing to set up an account and they can offer cheaper testing, $60 seems pretty standard. Otherwise $200 seems about average. Until I discovered the holistic vet in Canberra I was going to take the 6hr round trip to Sydney to get mine done for 60 as everyone else down here quoted me 200. Some tack a consult fee on top which adds to the price.

There was a study that showed a positive titre to distemper (pretty sure it was distemper not parvo) indicated that there was a positive response to hepatitis . For the life of me I can't find the paper right now!!

So I only tested for parvo and distemper and didn't send blood to Scotland. The WA testing was $80.

OK just found the bit of paper I was scribbling down notes on as I was talking to the vet. Distemper - $130, Parvo - $70. Don't need to bother with the Hep test in Scotland if I don't want to. But it seems to only save $24? I don't get it? And I don't know if they included a consult. I may need to ring the vet back tomorrow. They seemed surprised when I rang and asked about titre testing...the receptionist that answered the phone didn't even know what I was talking about. Seems we need to get it out there more

I think from reading the Titre thread the animal hospital (in Marion I think) does it for a really good cost. My vet quoted the same and I just went with it, they couldn't even do hep so I just got the other two, still around $200. Will definitely shop around next time!

My vet when we were still in QLD set up an account so I could send the blood to Vetpath in WA. Including the cost to take bloods and courier it was around $100 per dog for Parvo and Distemper. I didn't go for Hep either. Now with my new vet I asked him and he will do the same instead of sending it to Gribbles which is much more expensive. Perhaps if you have a good relationship with your current vet, you could ask them to do the same (set up an account with Vetpath).

My vet when we were still in QLD set up an account so I could send the blood to Vetpath in WA. Including the cost to take bloods and courier it was around $100 per dog for Parvo and Distemper. I didn't go for Hep either. Now with my new vet I asked him and he will do the same instead of sending it to Gribbles which is much more expensive. Perhaps if you have a good relationship with your current vet, you could ask them to do the same (set up an account with Vetpath).

Yep, this is exactly what I did with my vet. I also got strange looks from the receptionist but the vet was very open to discussion and was quite happy set up the vetpath account. All up cost me just over $100

My vet charges around $240 the last time I asked them. They already have an account with Vetpath and I am in WA.

Basically they don't want to do it

I got the impression my vet doesn't want to do it either. I didn't end up getting it done, being several times the cost of vaccination :eek:

Makes me sad hearing all these stories about vets making it difficult. It was so simple for us to set up a VetPath account and they supple us with all the packing, canisters etc for the courier company. It's not that much harder than sending bloods off to our regular lab really. And it's so much cheaper for the client sending direct to WA too.

Makes me sad hearing all these stories about vets making it difficult. It was so simple for us to set up a VetPath account and they supple us with all the packing, canisters etc for the courier company. It's not that much harder than sending bloods off to our regular lab really. And it's so much cheaper for the client sending direct to WA too.

The vets I rang yesterday used Vetpath in WA and the 2nd vet I rang today used Gribbles and the price was similar. And yet both so darn expensive? Why is this so? Is there a hidden profit somewhere or what? Seems to be too many differences in prices which make me suspicious, if someone here said they only paid $60 then I too want a similar price. Same thing with micro chipping...I paid $75 but have heard others paid as little as $40. Tomorrow I will ring a vet over the border(in Vic)and see what they say. Perhaps we are just behind the times here in SA.

• 3 months later...

Possibly silly question. Eek!

At what point would it be appropriate to start titre testing? Instead of 12month vaccs or after (be it 1 or 3 years, in place of the next vacc)

I'm so totally braindead today. Can't even google.