Too Far You Have Taken This Dog Grooming.

MrsD

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dogs are simply much more beautiful than that, as they are. Don't need or want it.

What does a 'thing' like that cost BTW?

It would be unaffordable to groom a pet dog like this to competition level for an owner request due to the time involved. The competition dogs are mostly owned by the competitors because of all the pre work of coat growth & maintenance & pre colouring etc. The cost of the dyes and other coat enhancements is quite costly, plus the competition entry fees and the cost of travel & accommodation to get to the venue, plus the cost of pre competition maintenance grooming plus all the time involved. It adds up to be quite expensive I expect!

I really don't see the issue with it.

It takes hours to fully bath and groom my Samoyeds and Havanese and that's just normal show grooming. I fail to see how it's cruel if the dog is correctly trained to except/enjoy it.

I know at OHs work as his boss only has poodles, and we have lowchen and lakies its a limited number of classes we can enter in a comp as breeds have certain eligibility classes we tend to swap dogs around or thru the salon they source clients who have suitable dogs and in return bath and dry the dog for free in the lead up. we ask around to friends as well. I'm lucky as my boss breeds and owns a few breeds so I can source suitable dogs from the kennels.. I'm borrowing a schnauzer and my girls half sister from her :)

I know at OHs work as his boss only has poodles, and we have lowchen and lakies its a limited number of classes we can enter in a comp as breeds have certain eligibility classes we tend to swap dogs around or thru the salon they source clients who have suitable dogs and in return bath and dry the dog for free in the lead up. we ask around to friends as well. I'm lucky as my boss breeds and owns a few breeds so I can source suitable dogs from the kennels.. I'm borrowing a schnauzer and my girls half sister from her :)

What sort of creative can you do on a Schnauzer?!

I understand that a lot of the regular grooming classes a lot of groomers borrow dogs from breeders/friends/clients etc. But do people really borrow Standard and other size Poodles and Bichons etc for creative competition?

I understand that a lot of the regular grooming classes a lot of groomers borrow dogs from breeders/friends/clients etc. But do people really borrow Standard and other size Poodles and Bichons etc for creative competition?

Yep they do borrow dogs! I know someone who is doing creative competitions and can't use her own dogs (she breeds working Kelpies lol not much you can do with a Kelpie for creative grooming!) and so she is borrowing dogs from other people for the competitions.

yes people really do borrow others dogs for creative people are fully aware prior to the comp exactly what must happen and what's involved

lol my schnauzer and my lowchen are for regular classes.. the schnauzer goes into Terrier and More, and I'm putting the lowchen insalon freestyle in which im attempting to trim her up like a poodle lol! I've only been learning to groom and practicing using my bosses dogs for about the last 7-8 mths... so I go in novice class lol I'm more doing this for a confidence boost to show people I can do it... I have ideas for creative in the future but they're not nearly as extravengent and over the top as these though

There is a Class just for Poodles, all 3 sizes. People either have their own dogs or borrow/hire dogs from Clients or other people.

Any breed can be entered in a Grooming competition, even a Smooth Fox Terrier (which has won an American grooming comp)

Any breed can be used in creative. Creative is just not dying, but also incorporates carving - using clippers to carve designs.

I borrowed a client's dog and turned her in to a 'My Little Pony' a few years back for a creative grooming competition. She didn't seem concerned and she was put back in a normal pet clip after the competition.

I borrow several different breeds for the other grooming contests too as i am limited in what i can keep in my own backyard.