Bushwalks/ Conditioning Walks/ State Forests

leopuppy04

Hi All,

I've been doing a bit of bushwalking lately with my dogs and LOVING it! But I'm running out of 'new' places to explore. Doesn't have to be melbourne based - a couple of hours out in any direction would be fun for a full day out of adventures.

Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations to walk? Not too many dirt bikes/ horse trails, but would enjoy any or all recommendations of walks/ bush/ beach areas that allow dogs....

Thanks in advance :thanks:

Edited by leopuppy04

Nice walks to be had at Hanging Rock. Good BBQ facilities too. No off leash area though.

The You Yangs have some pretty nice walks too, and the tracks in the bush behind Anglesea to Fairhaven/Moggs Creek are nice and quiet. Both of these places you will come across mountain bike riders and the occasional horse.

Nice walks to be had at Hanging Rock. Good BBQ facilities too. No off leash area though.

The You Yangs have some pretty nice walks too, and the tracks in the bush behind Anglesea to Fairhaven/Moggs Creek are nice and quiet. Both of these places you will come across mountain bike riders and the occasional horse.

When you say you will come across - they aren't dirt bikes in full fledge are they? Given the numbers of dogs we walk with (15-20 usually!) we like to choose the quiet secluded areas so the dogs can have a good burn and our arms can have a break :).

Where is the You Yangs??

Do you have specific directions Nik? I'd like to try one of these next weekend :D

When you say you will come across - they aren't dirt bikes in full fledge are they? Given the numbers of dogs we walk with (15-20 usually!) we like to choose the quiet secluded areas so the dogs can have a good burn and our arms can have a break :).

Where is the You Yangs??

Do you have specific directions Nik? I'd like to try one of these next weekend :D

You walk 15-20 dogs at once??? :eek: I walk 4 at once and I have my work cut out for me :laugh:

Where is the You Yangs??

You walk 15-20 dogs at once??? :eek: I walk 4 at once and I have my work cut out for me :laugh:

:rofl: not just me! But the dogs outnumber the humans easily!

I usually take 4 when we go bush bashing, another friend takes 5, another 3, another 2-3, another 2-3..... as you can see it adds up quick! 3 humans and 8 dogs today though ;)

Guest Clover

You might struggle to find parks and Forrest's that will allow dogs off lead, and that many as well.

We did a walk at Le Gershe Forrest near Creswick last week, it was lovely and will be going back out this week to explore some more. On lead only though.

Where is the You Yangs??

:rofl: not just me! But the dogs outnumber the humans easily!

I usually take 4 when we go bush bashing, another friend takes 5, another 3, another 2-3, another 2-3..... as you can see it adds up quick! 3 humans and 8 dogs today though ;)

Oh ok lol. I could just imagine, serenity would not be felt :rofl:

Where is the You Yangs??

The You Yangs are halfway between Melbourne and Geelong. Just take the Geelong highway and there will be signs to the You Yangs. They're out the back of a town called Little River.

Hanging rock is near Mt Macedon, on the highway to Bendigo.

And by mountain bikes I mean push bikes. Rarely encounter dirt/motorbikes. I have walked by dogs off leash behind Fairhaven but I'm not 100% sure you're allowed to. Most of the time when I've walked there I've been the only person which is lovely.

Just be aware that school holidays start next weekend, so some of the coastal areas may be busier than usual- although it is winter so probably not as many people as in summertime.

You might struggle to find parks and Forrest's that will allow dogs off lead, and that many as well.

We did a walk at Le Gershe Forrest near Creswick last week, it was lovely and will be going back out this week to explore some more. On lead only though.

Usually state forests allow the dogs to be off leash in certain areas :). You can find them if you look hard enough :)

Where is the You Yangs??

The You Yangs are halfway between Melbourne and Geelong. Just take the Geelong highway and there will be signs to the You Yangs. They're out the back of a town called Little River.

Hanging rock is near Mt Macedon, on the highway to Bendigo.

And by mountain bikes I mean push bikes. Rarely encounter dirt/motorbikes. I have walked by dogs off leash behind Fairhaven but I'm not 100% sure you're allowed to. Most of the time when I've walked there I've been the only person which is lovely.

Just be aware that school holidays start next weekend, so some of the coastal areas may be busier than usual- although it is winter so probably not as many people as in summertime.

Great - thanks - this sounds like fun!

Have you been to Kurth Kiln in Gembrook way? Dogs are allowed in there.

Nope I have not tried that one either. Details please?

Krislin - I've only been to the warbie trail that is on footpath and near the roads.

I am ideally looking for quiet, out of the way places that are TRUE bush walks, where dogs are allowed and allowed off leash :)

have a look here ..

http://www.weekendno...acks-melbourne/

http://parkweb.vic.g...og-Brochure.pdf

and more :

http://osp.com.au/?p=3224

http://headingforthehills.com/

http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10773

I cannot understand though why someone would want to let dogs run offlead in bush areas where there are , hopefully, wildlife populations .... :o if you want to give your arms a rest .. and that's a good idea :) use a long line attached to your waist ! My Hamlet was almost always walked that way ..and it meant my hands were free for cameras, etc as well :)

Edited by persephone

I will quite happily run my dogs off-lead persephone. You don't allow them to harass wildlife and if leopuppy's kids are anything like mine they mostly stick to racing along the paths. Can't help you with your question LP but its certainly heaps of fun. I was lucky enough to take my two out on Saturday to the grounds we use for tracking trials to help plot tracks for next weekend.

Both were extremely well behaved despite the number of roos that were around and only had to go on-lead once for a little bit because I didn't want to risk it when the oldie started showing a little to much interest in the roos. Baby dog was oblivious to them :rofl:.

Have you ever tried negotiating some of the rockier/slipperier trails with an excited dog or two attached to you? As an ecological consultant I started off with a "dogs on leashes only in bush" rule, but the more adventurous we got, the less practical this rule became, and at times it is downright dangerous. I need all my balance, thanks. And it's probably better that my dogs are not trailing a long line that is getting tangled in shrubs and fallen branches and shredding small plants. We compromise with good recalls and put the dogs on leash if we do come across an animal that may be harassed or stressed by the dogs' curiosity. Echidnas, lizards, wallabies, snakes usually. Although Erik brought us a turtle once. :o We said thank you and put it back by the creek. We find most of our walking spots through Google maps. My partner is not bad at detecting trails from aerial photos. We start on fire trails and explore from there.