Lure Coursing And Racing Dates For New Adelaide Club

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool, I was a bit worried about my husky deciding she'd rather do something else!

Thanks for that, hope I can make it along :D

Sighthounds are the same! They sometimes decide they are deaf and know you can't make them come back and so they do their own thing. I have to make sure I have cheese on me if I take the giant fluffy butt out. Somedays he just say nah mum I can smell bunnies see you!

Cool, I was a bit worried about my husky deciding she'd rather do something else!

Thanks for that, hope I can make it along :D

Sighthounds are the same! They sometimes decide they are deaf and know you can't make them come back and so they do their own thing. I have to make sure I have cheese on me if I take the giant fluffy butt out. Somedays he just say nah mum I can smell bunnies see you!

I have attended lure coursing and LGRA racing in the USA a couple of times in the last year. The amazing thing to me is they have not been held on fenced grounds, but in open parks, often with the course running within a couple of hundreds of metres of internal park roads with traffic - not much traffic , but still traffic. As one of the Saluki people there said to me, they work on recall really seriously from a really young age if they want to compete in coursing. It was pretty impressive, even though my 'zoi recall very reliably I would still think twice about those roads!

Godd luck with your new club :)

Can I ask about the muzzle - why is it one necessary ? - I'm not sure my lappie would like anything that might restrict her "talking"

When the dogs run in groups of 2 or more its standard practice. Some dogs get overly excited about the lure and take a snap at each other. It avoids fights and injury. If you look at the events in Europe the dogs are always muzzled. Greyhound muzzles are the best as they don't restrict breathing drinking etc. you can get whippet and Iggys muzzles for smaller dogs. They can bark yawn drink without restriction. Don't get a muzzle that restricts jaw movement as it affects the dogs ability to breath

Edited by OutOfSightHound

OutofSightHound

Why are the muzzles sized by dog weight? I would have thought nose/skull length or girth would be more appropriate?

Still want to train my dog to accept muzzle before asking her to run in it. Or I'm going to let her go and there's going to be a lot of rubbing face in the ground instead of chasing the lure.

Hey MRB I contacted the muzzle company that OutOfSightHound posted and asked what size they would recommend. They asked for Reggies measurement like this picture and for some pictures of her so they could get an idea of the width of her head. And have suggested one based on this.

post-22389-0-94337000-1372431416_thumb.jpg

Should be able to, I do have a sled race that afternoon.

Reckon she'll be able to do both?

Being such a high energy dog I don't doubt she could do both. I used to have working heelers and BC's and they wanted to play frisbee after a full 12 hour working day moving sheep or cattle.

She may want to, and be happy to race but I would think that her energy levels will be lower. Depends on how seriously you race I suppose and how seriously she chases the lure as to if you could/should do both.

I was thinking of doing the shorter distance race this weekend anyway.

I'll come along and then I'll see how we go :)

Last time we tried lure racing we got a bit of mad zoomies up and down the virginia slip track :o

Edited by Esky the husky