Time To Go Walkies!

Not sure if this is the right forum, but here goes...

I have just begun taking Jasmine (the great big 7 month old Maremma!) on walks. Not too long and not every day.

But whenever she is not on her own home turf, she won't go to the toilet. She stops to sniff where other doggies have gone, but she doesn't do anything.

I've also taken her to my partner's footy games (now THAT is an experience!) and we could be there all day and she doesn't do anything.

Is that normal? :(

(EDIT: at home, her toilet habits are prefectly normal and regular. I thought that maybe she'd gone before we went walkies, but it doesn't seem to make a difference).

Edited by Divine Angel

It's not unusual, some dogs prefer the comfort of their own home. But perhaps teach your girl to pee on command... that way you can at least make sure she's not getting too full a bladder.

My pup tends not to go to the toilet when we are out on walks unless he's told to...my older dog on the other hand will pee on everything he can cock his leg at and will usually manage to do a poo on the return journey just so i can use up one of the bags i carry :(

Zoe will go on every walk, pee several times and also do a poo - no matter the time of day. Belle, my older kelpie cross, is the same. My parents (who look after Belle now) say that she won't poo unless on a walk - she will hold it till then so they have to walk her!

Diesel on the other hand will pee on walks, but will only poo at home.

Guest Tess32

Reilly would not pee outside his house until he was about 9/10 months old.

He still won't do number two anywhere but home.

Nat

Beck will try to hold on - asa pup he used to sit in front of you as you walked along and cry, because he needed to go home to relieve himself.

Skye feels its her duty to go anywhere she visits and will always find something inside her, she seems to have a reserve of number two's.

The "peeing on command" thing isn't happening. She still hasn't picked it up yet.

On New year's Day, we took her to the vet cos she was constipated, and even though the vet gave her an enema, she waited 45 minutes til she was home to poo. I can't imagine the tummy ache she must have had!

Taco is very much "mmm something has peed there so I better" and will wee and poo if he has to or wants to. And that usually is off the side of the bike track or he will wee on anything. Buckley on the otherhand is not really that into weeing and pooing on his walks he prepers to chase the ball, run around etc.

I think that could also be due to him being desexed early in life. They are both rescue digs and similar age and I know that Taco was desexed a few days before we got him (probably explains why he was a stray aswell) and Buckley is the same age but had already been done so maybe the urge to spread his scent around isn't as great as Taco's.

Any way back to you. I would't be concerned. At least you don't have to pick it up from somebody elses lawn or driveway! As long as she goes that's the main thing. If you are taking her out for a long period of time, maybe you could try to take her somewhere quiet and see if she will do it.

:(

koe`vu is 11 weeks old and seems to think its his right to go on just about every new corner we turn... I dont know where he holds it :D He is regular at home

tho... I think he knows i stop to pick it up... maybe he just want a break :( LOL

Bronte is the same - only goes at home, never on walks, never at the dog park. If she is really busting, she wimpers and tells you she needs to go, but won't go unless you give her the OK and even then it's only #1's.

She will go if visiting (ie: MIL's house) overnight, won't hold it in that long.

Bailey never used to wee when we went for a walk but we are getting pretty good on peeing on command so he is doing it more now!

My sister dogs hold on for a walk, your youngest Toby even does the famous walking poo!!! :(

Mel

Also wanted to add that Bailey is only 11 weeks old as well and our vet and trainer told us to walk him to get him used to cars etc. In saying that we only walk him on the footpath, and away from other dogs.........

Edited by Bailey's Mum

Oh, Atlas goes all the time.

If we are walking he will pee on anything and always does a poop.

At obedience it takes 30 mins for him to pee on all the rabbit poo before he is ready for class.. and he always does a poop.

he will ALWAYS pee in the tunnel during agility.

He will not go in the crate, or any crate. he was at the vets over night, they rung me up saying he was crying and barking and they didnt know what was wrong (he didnt bark once all day)

Told them to take him for a pee and poop and he would be fine... sure enough, he settled down when he got back :(

He still likes to try to cock his leg if in a new house, but i know his tricks and keep a very close eye on him!

Cin

Strange :( - our vet told us in no uncertain terms not to take our boy out (no beach, park or walking anywhere) until he was 18 weeks (2 weeks after his final shot) as puppies are not completely coverd until this stage.

May be the area we live in (country WA), but saying that even stray dogs use the paths.

I'd be interested to hear what others think

Edited by Sonny

Poppy is very particular about which grass she blesses with her wee wees. She won't wee on lead unless she is really desperate. She will go all day at a show without weeing. She refuses to wee on command even though she MUST know what I mean (I still say toilet and praise her when I see her go and she is nearly one! :( )

Tbone on the other hand knows that "toilet" is a command that must be obeyed. He always manages to squeeze out a few drops just to humour me. :D

Strange :( - our vet told us in no uncertain terms not to take our boy out (no beach, park or walking anywhere) until he was 18 weeks (2 weeks after his final shot) as puppies are not completely coverd until this stage.

May be the area we live in (country WA), but saying that even stray dogs use the paths.

I'd be interested to hear what others think

We are advised to keep our pups on our own property until ten days after their 12 week vaccination. Even that is no guarantee as you can have parvovirus living in your own soil. Parvo is an extremely hardy virus and will live in soil for years - and will live in the sand at the beach too.