American Staffordshire Terriers

chris001

Chris pedigree puppies cost that much because you are paying for a) all the health testing involved (none of which is cheap a $1000 for each parent is not uncommon) b) for all the time and planning that went into the puppy (breeders will research pedigrees for health and quality and breed type as well as temperament and other things and that often takes a lot of time and effort often years of time and effort!) c) the breeders care and expertise and then the papers.

Very often the price asked for puppies doesn't cover the breeders expenses especially when they use a stud dog interstate or if the bitch needs a c section. That is why they get most upset when people say they are greedy or money hungry. :) Enjoy your little chap he is a cutie no matter what he is.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't see the pictures on my computer.A few months back i met a guy walking his young Amstaff who was quite tall and slender almost Boxer like in the body.

He said he was pure bred but didn't get the chance to ask about his breeder as i was too busy getting pats and smooches from this gorgeous friendly pup.

I

Purdie, I came across exactly the same kind of youngish (wasn't yet 3 yrs) Amstaff. Same description... had a tallish, more slender look.

That, with his gorgeous colouring, made him one of the handsomest dogs I've seen recently. I had to ask the owner his breed.... because I didn't instantly pick Amstaff at all. He said he was a purebred.

Apart from the amazing good looks... this Amstaff also had a beautiful nature & was so well trained and managed.

I wonder if they are siblings.The one i met was black with white chest and socks.

** .Runs off to look at the breed pages yet again........**

The cost from a good breeder is because they test the parents (to make sure they aren't passing on any health or temperament issues that are not wanted).

The breeder will vaccinate, microchip and care for the pups before they leave for homes, chosen for the pups - good breeders, really don't sell to just anyone.

They want to know their puppies are going to good homes.

They register their pups with pedigree papers on main or limited register, so they either go to show or pet homes..

A good breeder will take back a pup that doesn't fit in or there are other issues and the new owner can't keep it.

A backyard breeder, does none of the above. They don't care who they sell to and will often charge more for a specific colour or sex..

I have seen more backyard breeders charge more for the 'rare' blue staffs (both amstaff and SBT)..

DOL was set up (please correct me if I am wrong) as a 'Pure Breed Dog Community'..

But we are all here because we love dogs and we have the opportunity to learn from the good breeders (and trainers) here, who freely give us novice dog owners so much great advice and information - to make our dogs lives just that bit better..

As a Pure Bred Dog Community, back yard breeding is frowned upon (not the dogs that come from these environments or the people that buy them and come here for advice)..

But if someone comes here, with the slightest suggestion that they have a couple of dogs and may be breeding them - you can see why some get up in arms about it.

Not saying that is what you have come here for at all Chris. I can see that you had a question about your boy and just happened to get another pup in a short space of time - a situation you seem to have remedied as best you can.

Just trying to explain why some members get funny about back yard bred dogs and those that breed them..

Stick around - I have learned so much for the health and well being and loads from the wonderful trainers we are so lucky to have on board here..

As the owner of a powerful breed of dog, it is your responsibility (just like it is mine and anyone else who owns a dog) to make sure that they are the best dog they can be..

The cost from a good breeder is because they test the parents (to make sure they aren't passing on any health or temperament issues that are not wanted).

The breeder will vaccinate, microchip and care for the pups before they leave for homes, chosen for the pups - good breeders, really don't sell to just anyone.

They want to know their puppies are going to good homes.

They register their pups with pedigree papers on main or limited register, so they either go to show or pet homes..

A good breeder will take back a pup that doesn't fit in or there are other issues and the new owner can't keep it.

A backyard breeder, does none of the above. They don't care who they sell to and will often charge more for a specific colour or sex..

I have seen more backyard breeders charge more for the 'rare' blue staffs (both amstaff and SBT)..

DOL was set up (please correct me if I am wrong) as a 'Pure Breed Dog Community'..

But we are all here because we love dogs and we have the opportunity to learn from the good breeders (and trainers) here, who freely give us novice dog owners so much great advice and information - to make our dogs lives just that bit better..

As a Pure Bred Dog Community, back yard breeding is frowned upon (not the dogs that come from these environments or the people that buy them and come here for advice)..

But if someone comes here, with the slightest suggestion that they have a couple of dogs and may be breeding them - you can see why some get up in arms about it.

Not saying that is what you have come here for at all Chris. I can see that you had a question about your boy and just happened to get another pup in a short space of time - a situation you seem to have remedied as best you can.

Just trying to explain why some members get funny about back yard bred dogs and those that breed them..

Stick around - I have learned so much for the health and well being and loads from the wonderful trainers we are so lucky to have on board here..

As the owner of a powerful breed of dog, it is your responsibility (just like it is mine and anyone else who owns a dog) to make sure that they are the best dog they can be..

I couldn't see the pictures on my computer.A few months back i met a guy walking his young Amstaff who was quite tall and slender almost Boxer like in the body.

He said he was pure bred but didn't get the chance to ask about his breeder as i was too busy getting pats and smooches from this gorgeous friendly pup.

I

Purdie, I came across exactly the same kind of youngish (wasn't yet 3 yrs) Amstaff. Same description... had a tallish, more slender look.

That, with his gorgeous colouring, made him one of the handsomest dogs I've seen recently. I had to ask the owner his breed.... because I didn't instantly pick Amstaff at all. He said he was a purebred.

Apart from the amazing good looks... this Amstaff also had a beautiful nature & was so well trained and managed.

I wonder if they are siblings.The one i met was black with white chest and socks.

** .Runs off to look at the breed pages yet again........**

This one was bluish black (if that makes sense)....AND white chest & socks!

It was in Brisbane. The owner was a very well presented youngish man... looked like a professional type. The two of them matched each other ... the Amstaff's colouring made him look like he was well dressed.... & the man was, too. They both had a quiet dignity.... I know I'm raving! :) I had no problem believing this man when he said his dog was a purebred Amstaff, with papers. He was the type who'd likely know what he's talking about.

And there was a great bond between them.

I think people who want to change someone over night (or within a DOL thread) might be kidding themselves a little...

Can't everybody just be glad that Chris seems to be taking advice on board? He is sticking around and continues to read and respond nicely in this thread and I don't think efforts should be made to drive him off when he might actually learn a lot from DOL in his own time. He has obviously made some statements that a DOL savvy person might not make but he does not sound advice resistant and not everybody knows what is supposed to be good form on this online forum. I actually think that Chris sounds a lot better than a lot of average Joes I have spoken to in person. How many people does everybody know in their neighbourhood whose dogs have never seen a vet, not to mention a vaccination?

Anyway, just some food for thought.

Chris, I am glad you are getting some good and helpful advice here and you are happy to take some of it. I am doubly glad that your girl puppy will be growing up separately from your boy, and I have outlined my reasons for this in my previous post. Please stick around and understand that there are many bully lovers here who simply want the best for their dogs and for their breed and some of us have become a little bit resentful over how badly these breeds are treated by backyard breeders and even the media. I don't think anybody is trying to attack you personally, the overall situation is just very frustrating for dog lovers.

Edited by BlackJaq

Well said, BJ. I have to remind myself when I get an immediate reaction to something someone's said about dogs....some years back, I might have thought that, too.

Years ago when I first came on DOL, I knew nothing about BSL, for example. I thought the BSL legislation was right because there were some breeds that just automatically would be aggressive. Then a very patient DOLer.....she was a Qld vet nurse.... spelled out the actual situation, to me, in a polite & just plain helpful post. That opened the window of accurate information for me... & I was able to then pick up more from other posts on DOL. Not long before I was the fiercest opponent of BSL... on evidence-based grounds! And remain so.

So, Chris, I hope it's the same for you, re this thread. There's excellent information from DOLers.

Edited by mita