Here We Go Again, This Time Sa's Turn?

luvsdogs

This link was posted on FB. Have South Australian members heard of this proposal? & is it true?

http://m.theaustralian.com.au/news/sa-parliamentary-committee-wants-laws-to-eradicate-puppy-farms/story-e6frg6n6-1226673827209

[Quote: About 64 per cent of dogs and most cats with a permanent home are desexed.

In evidence to the committee, RSPCA Australia said pet owners who refused to desex their animals should have to pay an extra fee of $20 to $30 to become a registered breeder to combat backyard breeding.

The RSPCA also called for all dogs and cats to be desexed before 12 weeks of age unless their owner planned to breed them.

Any owner who did not desex their pet would have to register as a breeder even if they had no immediate plans to breed.

The Dog and Cat Management Board supported compulsory desexing and microchipping. Quote]

I find these points ludicrous. I'm not against desexing my dogs but will not early desex because of allowing for proper developement. I would think this would open the gates for joe public to think they had a "right" to now indiscriminately breed their non-pedigree dogs after paying the small extra fee on their council registration.

What do you think? all of this on top of the NSW Companion Animal taskforce paper.

This is ridiculous! I have absolutely no plans to breed my puppy, and he will be desexed at 9 months of age as suggested by my breeder to help with development rather than 12 weeks which can interfere with him hormonally which will affect his growth. I do agree that all pet animals should be desexed to combat backyard / puppy farm breeding, but this should be done when it is in the animal's best interest to do so. Allowing people to become a "registered" breeder with such ease is hardly combating the issue, its not exactly expensive so most puppy farmers and backyard breeders would just pay the fee to keep their "business" running.

it's already discounted for desexed dogs - I don't think charging extra to become a breeder will help at all - this might even encourage people who haven't thought about breeding to think - well - I am now a registered breeder so why not?

The responsible owners will continue to do the right thing and the uneducated, uninformed owners will continue to pump out cute puppies from their family pets for whatever reasons they choose to justify their choice.

I haven't seen this proposal. I know that the Dog and Cat Management Board were supporting compulsory desexing. (Which I protest, I have a real problem with the word compulsory, but not desexing. Use some other incentive rather than.....compulsory...and I still reckon even then there needs to be practical exemptions)

Oh, and PS....I am not a breeder, I don't plan on becoming a breeder and I have a dog I won't be desexing because I wish to show her. (Which apparently makes me a back yard breeding puppy farmer in some circles)

Your dogs your choice. No one should be able to force you to desex if you don't want to. Doesn't automatically make you a bad or uniformed person. Not rocket science to prevent pregnancy ect. So sick of all these dogooder laws gov want to bring in.

I'm waiting til the 9 months as well,

I would be quite happy to sign a council desexing contract and pay a refundable deposit and have that back when I desex, and those who don't claim it back perhaps it can be donated to shelters? I don't know what the answer is, obviously not everyone would be happy to do that, or could do that and this is purely coming from my position as someone who intends to desex our critter regardless. No idea what the answer is, but 12 week mandatory desex sounds absurd, plus the more you push something out and try quash it legally, the more it will head underground.

It's one of the new RSPCA SA CEO's pet projects... he did a lot of advocating for the same sort of thing when he was CEO of NSW AWL... *sigh*

The main flaw with the idea is that those who aren't doing the right thing now, certainly won't be doing the right thing after something like this is introduced... it will only affect those who are already compliant with current laws and regs - and negatively at that... grrr!

T.

Many things have been suggested but it doesn't mean it has happened.

No results reported yet from the Parliamentary Select Committee yet that met last December.

This is just a proposal not a law ?

Compared with most states SA is fairly sensible & flexible in its attitude. Lets hope this continues.

No results reported yet from the Parliamentary Select Committee yet that met last December.

Compared with most states SA is fairly sensible & flexible in its attitude. Lets hope this continues.

The final report of the Select Committee on Dogs and Cats was presented on 3rd July 2013. It was laid on the table in the House of Assembly and ordered to be published.

a lot of it is rubbish, and in looking at who it interviewed, very few actually breeders included in those, same as the first round table discussion here in Vic, mostly the welfare groups seemed to be the ones getting the hearing. Hopefully when the proposals come out for public comment, they have the same reaction from the SA dog & cat breeders that Vic had, which meant at least a lot of the stupid things were reconsidered. Otherwise I see a big breeder exodus

a lot of it is rubbish, and in looking at who it interviewed, very few actually breeders included in those, same as the first round table discussion here in Vic, mostly the welfare groups seemed to be the ones getting the hearing. Hopefully when the proposals come out for public comment, they have the same reaction from the SA dog & cat breeders that Vic had, which meant at least a lot of the stupid things were reconsidered. Otherwise I see a big breeder exodus

The Committee received 168 written submissions from the general public and interested bodies, and the names are listed in The Final Report.

The final report of the Select Committee on Dogs and Cats was presented on 3rd July 2013. It was laid on the table in the House of Assembly and ordered to be published.

So when & where will it be published for public viewing ?

So when & where will it be published for public viewing ?

ETA meaning when can I see it ?

I think we need to do something in SA to be more in line with the Eastern States...

Compulsory micro chipping before a dog or cat can be rehomed for money or free, would be a start, and easy to enforce.

Not sure about compulsory desexing. But I'd like all dog owners to pass a licence test - a bit like the car learners permit - so they can demonstrate they know the basic rules/laws regards owning a dog. And if they then get caught ignoring the rules, they can have their licence to own revoked, and dog rehomed - depending on what rule they broke and how much trouble resulted.

Microchipping is compulsory in quite a few states already - and, trust me, they seem to be having great difficulty enforcing it... *sigh*

T.

Yep. We've had a few interstate puppies that were sold to SA as microchipped. Only to find out at a subsequent vet visit that they weren't. Most of these were oodles.

I meant the interviews they did in March, shown in the list f documents from the committee, and listed in Hansard- there was not one other governing body other than Dogs SA, and when you read through that and see the direction of the questioning, very clear they were very happy to take the RSPCA recommendation that having 1 entire animal meant you could potentially be a breeder down the track, so that you would be required to obtain a breeder licence. What that may potentially do to people thinking "well they have a licence anyway, so why not" whereas before it may not have entered their heads. Also, was making the point that at least here in Vic, when our review was going through its stages, we had the draft review of the law occur, then public submissions- this is just the recommendations from the committee as to what they think should be done, and which of the various laws cover this should be looked at to be changed - surely that means that before these get passed as each of the laws in those items that each of those needs to undergo further public comment?