Moving To Brisbane!

Hey guys,

I haven't been too active on here lately, been very busy with work.. But have some big news! Hudson and I will be moving to Brisbane at the start of August.

I have been offered a position as a vet at the Animal Emergency Service at Underwood, and am really excited to be starting on a new journey in my career!

So the search is on to find a house in the southern suburbs, so will be crossing my fingers something appropriate comes up which will allow me to keep Hudson, there is no option - he is coming with me! :)

But a few things I am not sure how to go about, and wondering if anyone has any advice.

What do I do about registration with Dogs QLD? Do I wait till my membership with Dogs NSW expires, or simply start a new membership in QLD. Do I have to do anything about transferring Hudson, or does he just stay on NSW register? (Probably a silly question, but I wasn't sure!)

I am also looking at joining both an agility club and an obedience club in Brisbane. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go? I am really keen to get really stuck into agility since hudson and I both LOVE it, but need to find a club which will be able to help me with his self control and attention (aka. not running out of the ring mid run!) and not just pull me off to the sidelines. He's a great dog, just young and excitable! haha

Anything else I should know about dogs in Brisbane? I lived near St Lucia for close to 5 years while I went through Uni, but had no pets.. so this will be my first time living in Brisbane with a dog. :)

There are plenty of good suburbs near Springwood where you could live. I guess you are renting? Good place to work, as long as you like the challenge of emergency work. My daughter worked there for years.

Watching this thread with interest as I'll be moving to QLD towards the end of September.

Haven't figured out exactly where we want to look at houses yet but OH will be working near Ipswich so about half an hour from there.

have a look around Greenbank, Browns plains, creastmead, jimboomba yes they're a little far south but its more rural and you'll probably find more pet friendly places.

I lived in Jimboomba and traveled to Brisbane for work everyday it wasnt that bad, jimboomba to underwood was about a 30 min drive or so.

as for rego CCCQ or dogs Qld as they're called make everyone renew on the 31st Dec regardless of joining.. as for Hudson his number stays the same, I'm not sure if you need to physically transfer him over though I never did with my Sheltie but I think because the names matched up it was all good. just get Dogs NSW to put a note on file of change of address.

tick collars yes! and be prepared for a shock to the climate, I was stoked to get back tp nsw and the climate I was used to.

as for clubs Yes Jimboomba is brilliant as is BAD and QAJDC. I prefer Jimboomba though smaller classes, but every club up there has instructors who have different merits and forms of teaching.

Good luck and Have FUN!! inbox me if you have any questions, I actually do miss qld alot and would go back in a heartbeat..

Guest donatella

Brisbane is pretty pet friendly, I haven't had too much trouble with mine yet (but they are small), mind you I only go for units/apartments, if you're after housing you shouldn't have any problems.

You can look anywhere in the Logan shire so long as you aren't too worried about suburbs you will find a cheap, nice, pet friendly house. Failing that I would even look further down towards the Goldy (somewhere like Ormeau or Eagleby) as working on the highway you can get to springwood nah worries. Saying that though, Springwood, Rochedale, Shailer Park, Tanah Merah and Daisy hill have plenty of nice affordable housing and shouldn't be a problem with pets.

I would avoid the likes of Woodridge and Marsden. I'm sure you know the dodgy parts of town if you've lived here before. Logan has a bit of rep but I think its improving.

I always thought Slacks Creek (it's near Underwood) was a pretty awful place until I went there (to buy Daisy) and got lost, we drove around these pretty tree-lined streets and nice houses until we finally got to Daisy's ex-home. There seemed to be heaps of parks and dead end roads that ended at the creek. it looked ok to me.

Thanks guys :)

I am looking around the Coopers Plains, Mount Gravatt area at the moment, as will need to find a housemate or two to share in the rent.

Still crossing my fingers an appropriate house turns up!

I love emergency work, and I am so excited to get a position in a clinic like AES.

Thanks for the tips on agility clubs! I had not thought about Jimboomba! I really believe Hudson and I will get somewhere with the agility, we just need a little time and help in a group/club situation before we are really ready to compete. But I am glad I have put some good groundwork in with handling at home, its just the group situation which we can't get the same sort of thing here in Dubbo!

Depending on which nights I will be working will determine a little bit which clubs I will be able to join, but I am excited to check them out!

The only time I've had to go to that vet service is a couple of years back but the most scrumptious looking male vet worked there! I could've killed the receptionist for her slowness (another story).

I live down at Beenleigh (15 mins south of the vet) and I assume you will be working odd hours so highway traffic shouldn't be a problem for you wherever you look at living. During peak hour it is always a nightmare heading north in the morning and south in the afternoon.

Coopers Plains could be like 40 + mins away. Mt G is sort of spread out so it depends on whereabouts you are looking there. I'd aim for something no more than 5 mins from the motorway as driving through numerous suburbs to get to work will always take you longer than heading straight to the motorway. Your vet surgery basically backs onto the motorway at Underwood.

Thanks for the help guys! Only reason I have been looking closer to the city is that it should be easier to find a housemate, rather than convenience to work :) haha. I will be working nights/weekends so hopefully traffic won't cause too much of a problem for me.

But because to find somewhere pet freindly I need to get a house, I need to then get a housemate or two to help pay the rent! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh.. I must say, only 2 weeks left till I will be a QLDer again and this house hunt is driving me a little insane!

Almost all packed now, but still nowhere for Huddy and I to live.

Will continue the search and should have somewhere to stay temporarily.. but it is doing my head in!

Since I posted this morning I think I have found the perfect granny flat type situation in Shailer Park which is welcoming of Hudson! YAY!

It's a pretty much self sufficient little area and will only need to share the kitchen with the main house.

So excited, they are happy with my references so it will just be if they are ok with me when they meet me in just under 2 weeks time, I will have a new home!

So close to work too!

Then I can finally relax and feel like this move is going to go ok! Nervous about my new job, and Hudson fitting into a new house (please don't go digging up a plant huddy!) and finding new friends!

Such a big change, but I am so ready for it and excited all at the same time.

Fantastic news! I'll also let you know when our Peinics are on if you and Hudson want to come and hang out with a bunch of pei and meet a few other DOLers.

I'm not sure if Shailer Park is in Logan City Council or Brisbane City Council's area but you can check that out online and see what dog/offleash facilities are nearby. Although your dog owning work colleagues can probably fill you in on all that anyway.

There are some great people at AEC, and I am sure you wont have any problems making friends with some of them, they are so nice and welcoming. Good luck :) And if you love emergency work, you will fit right in.

• 3 weeks later...

So have moved and settled into my little granny flat. Turns out my work schedule is all over the place for the next month so finding it REALLY hard to find an obedience or agility club that will accept me, as I can't be available the same day every week for the 6ish week blocks they all require for beginning training!

Anyone train with clubs in brisbane that might be ok with me missing a week in a training block, or have more casual class setup which I might be able to join into? I love training with my dog.. and I am desperate to get him out and doing something! We are both going to lose our minds quickly otherwise, as we have only a very small yard, and I can't even do any training with him in the yard, only when we go for our walks.

Have you already started at the surgery? I was there about 5.30pm last Sunday picking up Stussy but the receptionist was so busy I didn't get time to ask if you had started yet. Glad you have settled in. Can't help with the agility or obedience info but hopefully someone else will!

I just started on Monday night and will be working again tomorrow night. It was great, but it is still a shock to the system so will take a few shifts to get in the swing of things!

It is just the odd hours which will be hard to get the hang of too, working late and nights does not bother me at all, but having different days each week is proving difficult with Hudson and training!