Article: Rescue Groups Denied Access To Young Pound

http://www.youngwitness.com.au/story/1628587/rescue-groups-denied-access-to-young-pound/?cs=1540

Rescue Groups Denied Access to Young Pound

A wrangle over the fate of Young’s impounded pets has led to a stalemate between an animal rescue group volunteer and Young Shire Council.

The volunteer, Harden local Lisa Ryan, says she wants to work with council to re-home impounded animals but council says legal and budget constraints complicate the issue.

According to council’s 2011/2012 companion animal report – the latest available – Young pound euthanised 169 dogs and cats, 78 per cent of those left unclaimed.

In early March, Ms Ryan re-homed 12 dogs and nine cats from the pound in her capacity as a transporter for animal rescue groups.

She arranged a vet to come to the pound to vaccinate the animals and provided them with fresh meat and worming tablets.

But since a May meeting between herself, general manager Peter Vlatko and planning, environment and strategic services director Craig Filmer to discuss continuing the practice, she hasn’t been granted access to the pound.

Ms Ryan sent an email to Mr Filmer in June informing him a shipment of donated bedding, dog coats and worming tablets was on its way for the impounded animals.

Mr Filmer responded advising her that it was not her place to organise any operational functions of the pound.

“They’re not open to proven workable solutions that are working in Cootamundra Council down the road,” Ms Ryan said.

Ms Ryan said she received no thank you for her efforts and was disappointed by what she called their “entrenched” attitude on the issue.

She said as weeks went by animals were potentially being euthanised.

Mr Vlatko told The Witness the issue was on hold until a re-homing report was presented to council.

“What we said to her was she doesn’t have any rights until council works out its policy,” he said.

Mr Vlatko said the onus for the care of the animals should be on the owners in the first place and questioned why council should pick up the costs for their irresponsibility.

Ms Ryan said this was an outdated argument and council was responsible for the animals in their care.

“Revenue received by council for the care and management of impounded animals must be used as intended, including education, not blaming their community,” she said.

Ms Ryan claimed the conditions at the pound weren’t up to standard and that a canine parvovirus – commonly known as parvo – outbreak was present during the times she visited.

“It broke my heart seeing four beautiful dogs die,” she said.

Mr Filmer said parvovirus was common in pounds and that council had a thorough sanitation process to deal with it.

He said spending $100 to $200 on vaccinations to prevent parvovirus was pointless when most of the animals would be destroyed within seven days of arrival.

Mr Filmer told The Witness council complied with state government guidelines in its provisions for the animals.

And he said he was “deeply disturbed” at animal blogs labeling the council as “pet killers” when they were meeting their legal requirements.

However, Ms Ryan insisted council was not meeting a requirement of the NSW Companion Animals Act which stated pounds should seek alternative placement for companion animals before they were killed.

Mr Filmer quoted a sub clause to the act which stated councils should only do so if “practical”.

“I’m happy to look at re-homing for the small percentage that may fit re-homing ability subject to time, budget and the work constraints of my ranger,” he said.

Mr Filmer said while he was open to placing a list of the available animals on the council website, they were not keen to use social media or conduct a marketing campaign, as suggested by Ms Ryan.

At Cootamundra Council, compliance officer Glen McAtear said an animal rescue volunteer implemented program – including a Facebook page and website - had led to them only euthanising dangerous dogs.

“If we get a dog that is suitable for re-homing, it will be re-homed,” he said.

Mr McAtear said he had just nominated the volunteer for an award in light of her efforts.

Lisa Wright of Maggie’s Rescue - which received all the cats and eight of the dogs Ms Ryan transported from Young – said they’d all been re-homed apart from one pregnant dog living with her.

The dogs included a Chihuahua she said went ‘viral’ on social media and a Pomeranian X Factor host Luke Jacobs’ sister adopted.

“People are beating past our door to adopt them, so why put these dogs down?” Ms Wright said.

* The Young Witness has also offered to run a Pet of the Week section in the paper free of charge in an effort to re-home the impounded dogs.

Already had my say elsewhere but I will point out that I am so glad the media in that town is highlighting this (maybe only so they could mention a reality TV star but still).

Hopefully the councilors listen to the people of the community and tell that shire employee to keep his prejudices to his own time.

There are too many LG officers like that one.frown.gif

Edited cos my fingers sometimes do not connect to my brain.embarrass.gif

Edited by RuralPug

I'm really crossing my fingers that something wonderful comes from all this. I understand that Young pound does have its hands tied and I understand that people just really want to help. let's hope they meet a good compromise :)

Edited by mixeduppup

mixeduppup, is the Cootamundra volunteer that they are talking about you? :)

I was trying to keep it a secret lol

MUP - you have worked damned hard - revel in the accolades girlfriend, you deserve them!

Actually a lot of the area pounds down that way have a great rescue network working tirelessly in the background to help get dogs out of those pounds and into rescue/homes. Without great people like MUP, ninahartland, Rhonda & Marshall, et al, that area's impounded animals would effectively have no future.

You all need kudos for your great work.

T.

MUP, you are a kind/courageous lady. Hope you will succeed with your mission. Noticed our local ESC not displaying photos of dogs at Moruya pound on their FB page anymore. :( I posted the newspaper article on my FB page, maybe more people will do same?

Edited by gwp4me

It may seem like bad news, but the fact that this has made it into the local paper is SUCH a great thing. It's a really good article - I hope it all gets resolved.

And yes, well done MUP for all your hard work at Cootamundra :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

He said spending $100 to $200 on vaccinations to prevent parvovirus was pointless when most of the animals would be destroyed within seven days of arrival.

I hope that's a miss quote, otherwise than have no idea about the CAA and the minimum holding periods for a dog.

As always, there's another side to the story. Some groups do, in fact, have access to rescue from Young Pound, including BFPR. However, the Council is going through the process of putting protocols in place (which of course takes a great deal of time) to ensure that the groups to which they release dogs have liability insurance, 16d exemption, procedures to evaluate temperaments, vetwork and rehouse appropriately, etc.

They want to avoid the fiascos that result from certain types of groups who aren't responsible (Pound Rounds, cough cough).

Unfortunately, those of you who've worked long and hard to establish relationships with pounds know how difficult it can be and how too much pressure and negative media can backfire by creating resentment towards those responsible! It has in this case and I won't say any more on a public forum, but email me if you need to.

Janey

Funnily enough, pounds CAN be selective with which rescues they will deal with - there is no law that says come one come all with regards to who can take animals. A 16D is all that is required by some pounds, and others take a stricter approach to avoid animals becoming "bungee" pets bouncing from pound to rescue to home to pound again and again.

I know 1 pound that has a very short list of who in rescue they will deal with, and who they absolutely won't... and it works very well to get the right dogs to the right rescues, and then to the right homes.

Establishing a relationship with the pounds you want to deal with is VERY important. Making judgements and public statements about how things are run is NOT a good start to working with any pound IMHO. You work WITH them, and by THEIR rules if you wish to continue sourcing animals from them... it's not rocket science - but it does involve a certain level of tact and diplomacy on the part of the rescue (and their "agents").

I reckon the reason that some are more successful in their dealings with their pounds of choice than others is completely due to the above. MUP has displayed this admirably - and is well deserving of the accolades she has received - maybe some others could learn from her?

T.