Diarrhoea At Nights

My 14 year old poodle x is struggling at nights with repeated diarrhoea. I am flat out looking after my mum this weekend, who has just been diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer and I have promised her a string of nice activities today and tomorrow, because they're letting her out of hospital for the day times only.

So I can't get to the vet and hoping someone here can give some advice.

Zamba normally sleeps on the floor alongside my bed. Earlier this week she started waking me up several times during the night to make repeated trips outside.

After a few nights of that, and with my Mum's shock news this week, I was exhausted. Thought maybe the bedroom was just too cold for her. Let her sleep up on the bed night before last, but still up with diarrhoea and I then locked her in the family room for the rest of the night. It's fairly warm in there, but 3 piles to clean up yesterday morning.

4 piles this morning.

I am reluctant to crate her during the night while she is having this problem, and it is very cold outside at night.

I haven't changed her diet at all. She has been on science diet active maturity for 8 years. A few weeks ago I tried her on raw, which is what I feed the other dog, but she farted a lot so I switched her back. That was over 2 weeks ago - no diarrhoea then.

She has a history of pancreatitis, and her tummy is fairly firm to touch.

Normally I would take her to the vet, but I can't get there this weekend.

Edited by Zug Zug

Me too ZZ, off food for 24hrs and then introduce small amounts of her dry food soaked in water or cooked chicken and rice if she has tolerated that in the past. Saying a prayer for your mum and hope Zamba's tummy improves

Edited by frufru

Thanks everyone - will do that. I won't feed her tonight, and will call our usual vet on Monday morning if she hasn't settled by then.

I have also set up her crate on the back verandah, with a heat pad and her favourite mattress. I don't think she's going to like that very much, but have moved Pasha's crate out there as well and hope she copes with it ok. I will leave the crate door open and hope she settles for the night.

Had a good day with Mum today and hopefully helped keep her spirits up so that's good.

Once she's better, one thing you could do is start moving her food to earlier in the day so that she has a chance to poop in daylight.

As one of my rescued dogs headed towards 18, his episodes of upset stomachs became quite regular at one point so my vet recommended one of the special diets by Hills and that certainly did improve his digestion for a few months until very close to the end.

Try adding psyllium husk to the diet to help firm it up.

Yes, I second this idea. I often add a teaspoon of psyllium husk to my dog's food to firm up his stools. My vet recommended giving him Metamucil when we were treating him for colitis. Psyllium is the active ingredient in Metamucil and is available in supermarkets (health food section). I found it better to give plain psyllium as Metamucil contains unecessary artificial sweeteners/ colours.

All the best with spending time with your mum.

My husband has it actually, so I will give it a go.

Peaceful night in her crate last night, and doing the same tonight after a small evening meal.

Thanks for your help everyone. I knew someone would know what to do.

Yes her tummy is quite sensitive these days. No bones for her anymore, sad to say.