Help Needed Desperately :(

Darien

I need some advise here as I am getting quite desperate. 5 weeks ago I bought a beautiful 6.5 year old Cocker Spaniel from a breeder, she is an ex show dog and has been living in kennels, they were good ones though. I just can't seem to be able to toilet train her and believe you me, I have tried everything the books etc tell you to do. For example putting her out after feed and allowing access to outside at all times, apart from the night time. I have shown her where she needs to go and praised her when she does do it on the grass outside. She has been outside all day today and when I just let her in, she went into the bathroom and peed on the bathmat!!! She peed on the inside doormat this morning....sigh. I have tried the enzyme sprays to eliminate the smell, even removed the main mat she was using......brand new one too!!

Please help me before I go insane!!! I also have issues with her constantly needing to be with me, that is a another work in progress

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Clover

Crate train her, and treat her like a puppy. If you cant watch her have her crated, continue taking her out often, and praise like hell when she gets it. It must be hard for her to understand the big change in her life, and only 5 weeks in is not a lot of time to settle. She will get it eventually :).

Crate train her, and treat her like a puppy. If you cant watch her have her crated, continue taking her out often, and praise like hell when she gets it. It must be hard for her to understand the big change in her life, and only 5 weeks in is not a lot of time to settle. She will get it eventually :).

This ^^^ is what I would be trying - crate training and treating her like a puppy :thumbsup:

How will crate training help? I am not a great believer in crating dogs, but if you can explain HOW it would work, I will try anything. Even when we are watching her she will either urinate of do a poo until take her outside and stay with her until she finishes it out there and then gets lots of praise (the neighbours must think I'm mad :) )

She is such a sweetheart and her and Kiska, my Border Collie, are getting along well.

Guest Clover

How will crate training help? I am not a great believer in crating dogs, but if you can explain HOW it would work, I will try anything. Even when we are watching her she will either urinate of do a poo until take her outside and stay with her until she finishes it out there and then gets lots of praise (the neighbours must think I'm mad :) )

She is such a sweetheart and her and Kiska, my Border Collie, are getting along well.

Most dogs won't toilet where they sleep. If she is having accidents in the house and right in front of you then she has no idea that it is the wrong thing to do (especially coming from a kennel environment it is not that surprising). If you are against crate training then restricting access to most of the house might be the way to go.

My understanding of how crate training works is that the dog doesn't like to dirty on its bedding so will hold on. Has worked very well for me BUT I've also known of some kennel dogs who will toilet on their bedding and I think they would be much harder.

My understanding of how crate training works is that the dog doesn't like to dirty on its bedding so will hold on. Has worked very well for me BUT I've also known of some kennel dogs who will toilet on their bedding and I think they would be much harder.

Have you asked the breeder you got her from if she does this? I would also ask the breeder if they used a toilet command. If she'd been shown I think most showies do. I would keep her confined to a single room if you can't watch her & go back to basics. Outside after eating, sleeping, playing & every couple of hours in between.

She may also be used to being crated at shows etc.

Your BC's gorgeous by the way, if that's Kiska in your avatar.

I'm happy to help - I've housetrained 14 year old dogs who have never been allowed inside, ex breeder/ing dogs and ex puppy farm dogs as well as plenty of dogs from pounds etc.

It isn't going to be quick and easy unfortunately but I have offered to speak with Darien and we can go from there. :thumbsup:

Edited by dogmad

Have you asked the breeder you got her from if she does this? I would also ask the breeder if they used a toilet command. If she'd been shown I think most showies do. I would keep her confined to a single room if you can't watch her & go back to basics. Outside after eating, sleeping, playing & every couple of hours in between.

The breeder just advised the basic training, like taking her outside etc. Which is exactly what I have been doing....she knows she shouldn't do it inside, she can't be that silly :) She hasn't been shown for quite a few years which is why they wanted to find a good home for her. She is such a sweetie, I'll try and put a photo up of her.

No that isn't Kiska, that is my very first BC that I bought back in 1985, she was my first show and breeding bitch :)

I'm happy to help - I've housetrained 14 year old dogs who have never been allowed inside, ex breeder/ing dogs and ex puppy farm dogs as well as plenty of dogs from pounds etc.

It isn't going to be quick and easy unfortunately but I have offered to speak with Darien and we can go from there. :thumbsup:

she knows she shouldn't do it inside, she can't be that silly :)

No, she isn't silly ..but why would she know not to toilet where she does? if she 'knew' she wouldn't do it . She's a dog used to being in kennels ..and probably toileting under a roof ...when you gotta go, you go ;) She is also probably used to toileting when people are present .... and in her little doggy brain ..mats feel to her like a toilet spot ....

It will take a lot of learning for you both .. good for you in asking dogmad for help :)

Have you had her checked for urinary tract infections etc ?

The breeder just advised the basic training, like taking her outside etc. Which is exactly what I have been doing....she knows she shouldn't do it inside, she can't be that silly :) She hasn't been shown for quite a few years which is why they wanted to find a good home for her. She is such a sweetie, I'll try and put a photo up of her.

No that isn't Kiska, that is my very first BC that I bought back in 1985, she was my first show and breeding bitch :)

If she knew not to do it inside, she wouldn't be doing it inside.

You need to teach her the correct way, dogs don't arrive pre-programed with knowledge.

Guest Clover

What minimal said. Dogs don't know right from wrong they have to be taught. Don't set her up for accidents.

I personally wouldn't recommend confining her to one room - to her it would just be the equivalent of a kennel and she'll crap and pee everywhere.

I've got some suggestions for Darien. She definitely will not understand housetraining as a concept because dogs that live in kennels have to learn to toilet in the confines of where they live.

This presents a huge challenge for anyone taking them on but it certainly isn't insurmountable, it does require heaps of patient and quite a bit of time generally.

I personally wouldn't recommend confining her to one room - to her it would just be the equivalent of a kennel and she'll crap and pee everywhere.

I've got some suggestions for Darien. She definitely will not understand housetraining as a concept because dogs that live in kennels have to learn to toilet in the confines of where they live.

This presents a huge challenge for anyone taking them on but it certainly isn't insurmountable, it does require heaps of patient and quite a bit of time generally.

Thank you for your suggestions and will start the regime today :) Will call you tonight.

Also thank you everyone else for helping, I feel guilty as I haven't been here for years and yet you still took the time to advise :thumbsup:

I know this is late, and you have received some great advice - but you mention that she particularly seems attracted to mats as a toileting spot. Maybe you could remove them for the time being while she learns the basics so as not to confuse her. Your breeder may have used puppy pads in the kennel and this might be why she is using mats as her new indoor toilet.

My pup used to do this too and I had to train him out of it.

Good luck with the training. I am sure that she will get the hang of it eventually if you are persistent and patient with her.