Esky Went To A Chiro

So Esky went to a Chiro earlier this week.

He's done an amazing job, she feels like a new dog.

Unfortunately I didn't make the appointment, my partner took her in for me.

One of the major things I have to work on is building up the muscles in her back end.

We're been given some stretches to do with her before any stenuous exercise.

Also perscribed more walkies and less running.

Should that walking be at my speed (slooow) or should she still be going at a decent trot?

Also been instructed to give her some supplements and feed her more protein ( meat and eggs)

What are the best proteins I should be giving her?

The chiro also reckons she hasn't developped fully (yet?) which has blown my mind slightly.

And she is also hyper flexible- my dog's a freak :laugh:

The type of protein will depend on what he problem is. My bitch had acidosis in the back end and needed muscle build up but high meat would have made it worst. I used eggs, ricotta cheese, tinned salmon and milk powder to get her back into condition.

You can look into Sprinter Gold Muscle Pro powder as well it's incredible stuff for rebuilding or building up muscle. You put the dose in with a bit of meat and water (I make a porriage consistency with it, warm) after some light exercise.

http://www.sprintergold.com/

Thanks Nek, I've already got the muscle pro in the cupboard :)

My understanding of Esky's problem is that she just doesn't have enough muscle in her back end, so that needs to be built up more. The chiro was really happy with her front, she's well muscled and strong there.

It means the dog is favouring the front end for whatever reason if there is disproportion like that. My Bordeaux had the same problem. Massage and gentle movement consistently along with supplements will help build up the rear end without causing pain.

Slow and steady, thats the best way to build muscle and regular chiro to help keep her in top top shape. Muscle is sustainable when built slowly, you find there is less required to maintain it that way. Also some soaked minute oats added to the meat can be good too during winter, make a meaty, muscle pro porridge :laugh:

Thanks Nek, I've already got the muscle pro in the cupboard :)

My understanding of Esky's problem is that she just doesn't have enough muscle in her back end, so that needs to be built up more. The chiro was really happy with her front, she's well muscled and strong there.

Gentle uphill work strengthens the back end. Think of a horse trotting up a hill and how the hindquarters are working:-) I was told to do uphill work for one of mine and it made a huge difference.

If you have a harness and will allow her to put some weight on it pulling, that will work her back half.

Walking at your pace is fine.

If you can locate a bowen therapist or canine massage person in your area, that will also help.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

When my old girl was seeing a chiro because of her degenerative myelopathy I was told to build up her hind muscles using hill work and that walking in soft sand (like beach sand) and swimming were also great.

Edited by Mim

Playing tug so the dog is using its hindquarters is also effective as is balancing on hind legs, begging, perch work etc. I do those with Zig in particular as he is very much a "front wheel drive dog" - not something I want in agility as it makes them more prone to injury. Also swimming with a life jacket on encourages him to use his hind legs.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

:laugh: Jumabaar. I would also love to be able to have access to the rehab guy Robby - his expertise and ability is out of this world. I am sure a certain BC of mine would be in better shape if we had access to somebody like him but we make do and follow his suggestions and things are kind of improving.