Trying To Choose A Breed Would Love Some Help Thanks

Chloe08

Hello.

I am new to this forum although I have learned a lot about dogs from lurking for sone time. I am trying to decide on a second dog. We have a three year old cavalier. I would like a bigger dog as I have only ever had small ones. I have three kids, 6, 10 and 12. We live near parklands and have an average sized yard. I run 3 mornings a week or if not running I walk my dog 45min morning and night. Grooming is not a problem. I take my cavy to obedience weekly. I am looking at the Standard Poodle or Rough Collie. Just not sure whether this would be enough exercise for either and whether barking can be managed in the Collie. I work 2.5 days and we are home a lot. Thank you in advance.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chloe, I know all sorts of factors would need to be looked at to match with your family & lifestyle... but I want to do a little leap! :)

I've met absolutely charming Standard Poodles .... so I hope DOLers with experience with the breed can tell you further.

And also consider the Smooth Collie. Once again, I hope an 'expert' can fill you in more.

Best wishes finding what you want.

Edited by mita

I have a smooth collie and if you can include training in your schedule he'd be happy with that excercise. Collies do like their voice....I tend to keep my boy inside if I'm away ...he's happier snoozing on the couch. Left outside on his own he barks at noises.

Collies do like their voice....I tend to keep my boy inside if I'm away ...he's happier snoozing on the couch. Left outside on his own he barks at noises.

Like my Sheltie girl... who had something to say about everything. But our Sheltie boy was the opposite ... never a peep out of him.

We have had poodles for years and a standard would love that amount if exercise, they would also get a lot of enjoyment playing with your kids.

The only thing to be aware of some of them have extreemly high prey drives so if you do look at getting one make sure you discuss that with the breeder, it can become a problem living with a smaller dog.

I have Collies, I have had them for nearly 30 years. Some are barky some not but it can be managed they are smart little sods though so sometimes you have to think outside the box to do so. I have had collies that range from totally in love with the sound of their own voice to two that were almost mute, the latter two were just very quiet gentle dogs. Most will however bark in the watch dog sense. I think too with some training the amount of exercise you mention would be more than enough for a collie rough or smooth especially with a bit of training. They are intelligent dogs and like to have a job to do.

I'm only just getting to know Collie's (rough), and I have to say they are a really lovely breed of dog. Not a dog I would have ever considered (and I probably would be hesitant still, but mainly because they have soooooo much coat!). I handle one for a friend at shows. And they really are delightful!! The ones I know love everybody pretty much. The boy I show is a bit cheeky with his barking, but it is managable - like Natsu chan said you just have to think out of the box in how you are going to manage it! This little one is a bit clever for his own good sometimes! But he is delightful for me to work with and he is clever, he picks things up so fast that we do. It's definitely a dog that I would now recommend to others as I've learnt more about them, and it sounds like your household would be great for this type of dog.

Can't comment on poodles as I don't really know any!

If you like the thought of a bit bigger dog, Maybe have a look at the Lagotto Romagnolo. Not quite as big as the St.Poodle or Collie but I think an ideal dog for your situation.

Lagotto link

Edited by skyefool

Thank you for all the great advice. I hadn't thought about prey drive until now but it's something to consider given my kids have small pets too. Will also look into the lagotto as I hadn't considered this breed. I do love the rough collie personality though, they seem great with kids and other pets if raised with them.

If your kids have small pets I would stay well away from poodles, I have only had one poodle through my house that was trust worthy around small animals. I had to make the decision to rehome my rabbits, guinea pigs and chooks because even at 12 years old my mini was too obsessed with them. My standard girl was even worse she bit chunks of timber off the hutches trying to get to them.

All the Rough Collies I've met have been beeeautiful dogs, physically and temperament wise! Although STD Poodles are lovely too... I've found Collies to be slightly "softer" I guess, and more sedate, as in mire interested in hanging out with each other and their family than investigating other dogs.

I've never owned either but have a poodle x Maltese and a Sheltie so grooming wise I'd suggest a Collie would be much easier. Although you'd have less hair around the place with a Poodle!

I think exercise wise either would be ok in your situation, both are smart and active but both can chill when neccessary.

I like Lagottos (Lagotti?) too but the few I've met have seemed a bit more timid than the other breeds. I imagine they would need more grooming than a Collie, slightly less than a Poodle as the coat is a bit looser I believe.

Really, I don't think you can go wrong with choosing whichever of these breeds you like best!

You are looking for a larger dog for a regular running companion that is known to be tolerant with kids, will train well in obedience, has a low prey drive, high exercise tolerance and not a breed known for "voice". High grooming needs are also okay.

I would probably begin by looking at any of the non-working line retrievers - goldens, labs, flat coats, curly coats etc.

If you are wanting a puppy to raise with your children your way, bear in mind that too much exercise at a young age is not good for growing joints in the larger breeds.

Kudos to you for starting your research to find a dog that is just right for your household!

No matter what you get I would suggest very well supervised desensitisation to the small animals from day one. We have a lot of small animals here and my dogs have been around them from the time they walked through the front door at 8 weeks. We don't leave them unsupervised despite they fact that they are very trustworthy but at least I know that if for whatever reason one of the animals did get out it wouldn't be at risk from my dogs. It happened once where I left the aviary door open and my japanese quail flock got out, i found them lying on the grass....sunbathing, with the basset hound in the middle looking like a pig in mud looking after her little flock of quail LOL

I'm usually hesitant to suggest my own breed but if you want a real running companion, can't go past a Dalmatian! Of course, would need to be over 12 months before any serious running but my girl could run all day.

They're a dog that needs exercise or they can be destructive but my girl gets less exercise in winter and is not too bad. She has a lovely big yard to run around, and a companion to play with.

They can be great with kids, my girl finds them strange because we are a young couple with no kids and she's had minimal exposure. But I'm part of a dally group that regularly posts photos of their spots and their kids happy together. Of course, proper supervision always.

They also have some special needs with their diets (just can't eat things like certain proteins (eg Beef) and organ meats coz they get urinary stones) but it's fairly easy to manage really. Girls are better than boys in that regard.