Dog Desexing, Bleeding Stitches?

Our Whippet just turned a year old, so we had him desexed on Tuesday. They had to go looking in his abdomen as one of his testicles were retained. He has a lot of stitches, and tonight they started bleeding. He seems his usual self, just a bit more tired than normal and less bouncy. He wears a cone on his head whenever we can't watch him 100%, in case he pulls his stitches out.

Anyway, is it normal for them to bleed at all? I've never had a dog before him, so a bit worried!

Thanks in advance :)

How much are they bleeding? is it coming from where the suture goes into the skin or is it seeping from the incision site? Any swelling, bruising or heat around the surgical site or abdomen?

Edited by mixeduppup

If he is less bouncy than he was and is bleeding I would go to the vet. That's just me - probably overly cautious, but I would rather be sure everything is ok right away. At the very least is there an emergency vet nearby you can call? If there is some infection or other problem it could deteriorate quite quickly. Hope it resolves quickly and he is on the road to recovery very soon.

2ed2qhe.jpg

Bad photo, but you get the idea..

I think it may be because he constantly moves around.. Yesterday he was jumping around like normal, and he just doesn't like to stay still when he has energy. But when his energy is gone, he sleeps and curls up. Typical whippet!

Edited by LamborghiniMurphy

She may have bumped or it, chewed it or it could be irritated. Keep an eye on it and if it starts to swell, your dog seems unusually quiet or the blood increases then don't wait til tomorrow. If you are at all concerned it's better to be safe than sorry.

ETA: After seeing pic, call your vet.

Edited by mixeduppup

I'd be speaking to a vet tonight if it looks like that and still has blood/fluid oozing. If it's all dry then maybe it could wait til morning, but that's a lot of blood/fluid from a neuter suture line.

There's a lot of stitches because they had to go exploring for his other testicle which never descended. I think it has stopped bleeding now, I'm too frightened to move him and look, because he's happily asleep!!

post-42959-137536294751_thumb.jpg

This was my poor boy (Italian Greyhound) who got desexed beginning of this year :(

Might be because of the thin-skinned, sensitive sighthounds? I've never seen that after castration though. Poor fella :(

Edited by mixeduppup

Holy cow IggyLover! What happened there???

To the OP, my girl's wound oozed a bit of blood/serous stuff for a few days after surgery and she was fine. But that looks like proper blood so I'd call the vet.

Dante just continued bleeding and they were unsure why. Tested negative for blood disorders and poisoning. They still don't know why he bled so badly. Good news is he is all healed and recovered quickly!

Hope your little one is ok x

I would get it looked at. A little oozing is normal if they are a bit too active, but that is a fair amount. Also he MUST be kept quiet, do not let him jump around like normal.

Fingers crossed he is okay but please do not leave it and keep him well confined, especially until you know what is going on. He has had major abdominal surgery.