Don't Know How Useful Petplan Would Be Since...

...I can't find a single vet in my area who accepts direct payments from them. :banghead: The entire reason I'm looking into insurance for Maya is of course because I'm worried about raising large sums of money... let's say something over $2000... in case of emergency. I mean yes, it's beyond great if after 6 (or 6+) weeks you get your money back, but if you don't have it in the first place... what then?

I know from reading threads here too that Petplan can take forever to pay up, but that they're the only company who cover 100% of vet bills, not just up to 80%. I'm just not sure if it's really going to help me out in an emergency situation or not. I'd hate to let money get in the way of the best care for my girl, but... if she got hit by a car tomorrow and her recovery costs were $7000, I don't have that. I probably couldn't even beg half of that from family/friends, honestly.

Does anyone have experience with vets doing direct payments with Petplan? Is this something that only happens with capital city big vets? I gather most people just do the claim as normal - how do people go raising large sums in a short amount of time?

On the fence... :shrug::flame:

What about a credit card that has a decent no interest period, so you don't use it except for an emergency? Then you whack the cost on there, and pay it off when you get the refund from the insurer.

I think a lot of vets don't like accepting payment from the insurer because if they deny the claim, they have to hassle around with getting paid. Whereas that shouldn't be their problem, they should be focusing on being vets, not being account chasers.

Yes, I can't raise big funds quickly so I pay via a credit card if it's a large invoice.

I then deposit the Petplan cheque into the credit card account once I get paid out. I haven't had to hesitate in treating my dog. Things did get to a stage where we were calling the credit card debt 'The Monster' as it had gotten large and scary though.... :eek:

Edited: The thing to bear in mind with this system is that not all invoices are necessarily covered by Petplan if you have any exclusions etc. on your policy. So you need to be able to cover the 'gap' if that's the case.

Edited by trinabean

What about a credit card that has a decent no interest period, so you don't use it except for an emergency? Then you whack the cost on there, and pay it off when you get the refund from the insurer.

I think a lot of vets don't like accepting payment from the insurer because if they deny the claim, they have to hassle around with getting paid. Whereas that shouldn't be their problem, they should be focusing on being vets, not being account chasers.

Agree with this.

...I can't find a single vet in my area who accepts direct payments from them. :banghead: The entire reason I'm looking into insurance for Maya is of course because I'm worried about raising large sums of money... let's say something over $2000... in case of emergency. I mean yes, it's beyond great if after 6 (or 6+) weeks you get your money back, but if you don't have it in the first place... what then?

I know from reading threads here too that Petplan can take forever to pay up, but that they're the only company who cover 100% of vet bills, not just up to 80%. I'm just not sure if it's really going to help me out in an emergency situation or not. I'd hate to let money get in the way of the best care for my girl, but... if she got hit by a car tomorrow and her recovery costs were $7000, I don't have that. I probably couldn't even beg half of that from family/friends, honestly.

Does anyone have experience with vets doing direct payments with Petplan? Is this something that only happens with capital city big vets? I gather most people just do the claim as normal - how do people go raising large sums in a short amount of time?

On the fence... :shrug::flame:

So you either dont get her insured and you have to pay for any treatments

OR

you do get her insured and you have to pay for any treatments but then you get the money back less the excess.

I dont know of any clinics that are paid directly by petplan, and in an emergency that would be the least of my worries. Same with big bills, if I am going to have a big one I want it to be done by the best person possible which was the rational behind me getting insurance.

Edited by Jumabaar

I have a credit card precisely for this reason - and it went from a very small balance to almost maxed out in three days at the end of June paying for Mac's emergency surgery eek1.gif and that's what it's for and I'd do it again in a heart beat - even though its now of the 'monster' variety of debt.

Just hoping there are no more vet emergencies until I've paid some of it off. smile.gif

Sometimes companies like 'vet pay' offer 4-6 weeks interest free for this very reason!

Most emergency vets have this sort of credit line available so if you had insurance I don't see why you wouldn't be approved. You'd just be out of pocket for the start-up fee.

Our clinic will accept payment from the insurance company by negotiation and inly with a pre-approval letter. But our procedures aren't generally emergencies so clients have time to organise it. Most of our clients pay then claim it back though.

My neighbour had to pay $4500 on her dog, she organised GE interest free with nothing to pay for 6 months through her vet and paid it off 8 weeks later when her payment came through from insurance. For this reason we have always kept our GE and Certegy accounts active.

To me it's a no-brainer. If the bill is $4000 I'm going to pay it whether I have pet insurance or not. So better off having the insurance and whack the bill on my credit card, then get the money back a few weeks later.

there is a reason I don't have pet insurance lol. everyone always says "just pop it on your credit card"....I dunno who all these folks are with such high credit limits, but my limit is $1000 and I was lucky to get that much given every single other cc company gave me an outright "forget it".

apply for credit cards, see what you can get, but I suggest a savings account for emergencies as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been going to my vet for years and have both my dog and cat covered by PetPlan, recently my cat has needed quite a lot of treatment and it is ongoing at present I asked my vet if I could get them paid directly by Petplan and it wasn't a problem. I have had a statement from PetPlan letting me know what they didn't cover and a cheque was promptly sent to my vet. I guess you need to have a vet that knows and trusts you to pay the difference.