Do Dry Shampoos Really Work?

kelpiecuddles

I bath the girls once every two to three weeks, basically just when they start to get smelly so sometimes it's longer. Sometimes I notice them starting to smell but might not be able to get a chance to bath them for a few days so wondering whether there are any brush through type shampoos that are actually decent? I'd just ignore it if they were outside dogs but as they sleep in the loungeroom i really notice it.

I've never bothered with the dry shampoos (because I can't help but think they'd just leave more crap in the coat to wash out) but I do use a "between baths" product. It's the Plush Puppy Wonder Wash and it seems to do a fairly decent job of not just covering smells but stretching out time between washes. All three of my dogs are mostly white so it's also handy for doing the necks and other areas that yellow from oxidisation of oils in the coat (or wee stains >.>)

Only problem I had with it was that a little goes a really long way. It can be hard to judge how much you've sprayed on a certain area until you go to towel it out and it feels soaked.

Some people use potato flour, but I havn't used it myself. Last time I used PP Wonder wash, I think I may have used too much as she just looked dirtier & had a bit of a blue tinge. I find if my dogs swim in fresh water, they will get a smell, but if they then have a swim in the family pool directly after, they don't smell. My guess is the chlorine in the pool (it is a salt water one) kills off the bacteria. I don't rinse it out as I have untreated tank water. This is an everyday ritual & they don't itch & have lovely coats :)

Edited by sheena

Just get a flannel & give them a warm wash over .

I have never had success with dry shampoo

Which is what I do. I wring the flannel a bit first & give a good rub thro' down to the skin. I put a tiny drop of highly concentrated Nil-Odor in the warm water, for a lovely fresh smell. I also sometimes put a little Fido's Free-Itch Concentrate in the water (it's a product you leave in).

I use potato flour on the show dogs BUT its washed out asap ,i wouldn't be using it just because.

Talc is the same ,the only time i would use it outside of showing is for coated breeds who may have had an accident on there pants & its great for brushing it out.

Also does anyone have a good tip for the orangey stains in the loose skin on her neck? I've been using a white shampoo and it certainly helps but isn't getting it anywhere as nice as I would like. They are just stains from skin oils, nothing nasty

Edited by kelpiecuddles