Home To House Full Of Wee... 3rd Time This Week

westiemum

Hi DOL brains trust,

Please could you give me some advice... I've come home for over a week to wee inside. But tonight I came home really tired and almost lost it - a wee on the lounge, two wees on the floor in the lounge, two in the kitchen and one on the dog bed and floor in the bedroom - the dog bed now needs washing for the third time since Sunday. And I stepped in the one I didn't see in the kitchen. frown.gif I know its not Sarah as she was at the vet all day and came home with me.

I know its connected to the rain and cold - its rained heavily on and off here all day. But I can't keep this up - I now have another three loads of washing to do. Its been particularly bad this winter.

I suspect its Andy - he's such as woose and doesn't like the feel of grass on his paws or getting them wet. Maybe I have to desensitise him somehow and re-train him? And in the meantime, as much as I don't want to, maybe I have to coral them all in the kitchen only when I'm not here as interestingly it has never happened when I'm home.

Suggestions and advice please? Somethings got to give.frown.gif

Thanks everyone.

Edited by westiemum

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make him wear a belly band. More work for you as you will have to take it off when he goes outside and put it back on when he comes back inside, but it will help to get him back into the habit within a couple of weeks. Also it will prove whether or not he is the culprit. All my male fosters wear belly bands for the first week or two. Bitches wear britches.laugh.gif

Thanks Anne - yes I'm sure you're right - the only place I can really coral them is in the kitchen - then they still have access to the doggy door - I'll put some vet bed down.

Whats the best thing to use to clean tiles and wooden floorboards which have been wee'd on? I've been using vinegar but maybe I need something more heavy duty?

Thanks for your help. smile.gif

Make him wear a belly band. More work for you as you will have to take it off when he goes outside and put it back on when he comes back inside, but it will help to get him back into the habit within a couple of weeks. Also it will prove whether or not he is the culprit. All my male fosters wear belly bands for the first week or two. Bitches wear britches.laugh.gif

Thanks RP - that's a good idea - should have thought of that - I have a belly band collection!!!

I am not aware of the history e.g. age, etc of your dogs so this may not be appropriate, but can you put them out, lock the dog door? For a couple of weeks till they get use to going outside consistently.

Mixture of vinegar 75% and 25% water, let it soak in before washing off.

I am not aware of the history e.g. age, etc of your dogs so this may not be appropriate, but can you put them out, lock the dog door? For a couple of weeks till they get use to going outside consistently.

Mixture of vinegar 75% and 25% water, let it soak in before washing off.

Tazar thank you. smile.gif I have three westies - Mac 14, Sarah 12 and Andy 6 or 7 ish maybe? The two boys are puppy farm rescues from the notorious Freedom Kennels. Until Andy came to live with me he'd lived on concrete in a dog run pretty much his whole life. Similarly with Mac I think. So yes I could try locking the doggy door tomorrow afternoon when I have to go out for some hours. Good idea.

Yes thats a stronger vinegar mixture than I've been using.smile.gif

I've just taken Andy outside for a wee. He did two wees and a poo! Reinforced him with a small treat and belly band is back on...

Thank you everyone - feeling better after I was worried I was going to have a complete meltdown earlier tonight.

Edited by westiemum

Could he have a UTI?

I hope the belly band helps!! How frustrating

Possible Aussie but judging by the wee I doubt it. I think its more likely to be behavioural... sigh.... he's very unhappy with the belly band but I'll persevere with it until he gets the message... and I confirm he's the culprit or otherwise.

Edited by westiemum

Oh and in my experience, often other dogs will go inside after one does - kind of like free for all :(

14 years is getting on so maybe a check for UTI like Aussie3 said.

Yes 14 is a good age - but I'm suspicious its Andy the youngest westie who is the culprit. We'll see...

I've had him checked for UTIs a number of times but not for a couple of months but will check him again.

I know there have been threads on here about people who made their own indoor toilets by buying some bits and pieces from Bunnings. Would that be an option for wet days??? You could store it outside when not needed. Although I guess you wouldn't want the dogs to decide they would only toilet on that rather than go outside even on a fine day! Little tricksters!

I know there have been threads on here about people who made their own indoor toilets by buying some bits and pieces from Bunnings. Would that be an option for wet days??? You could store it outside when not needed. Although I guess you wouldn't want the dogs to decide they would only toilet on that rather than go outside even on a fine day! Little tricksters!

Thanks LG but little tricksters they are!! The thing that makes me think its behavioural for example is if it was a UTI I would expect Andy to be dribbling and weeing whether I'm home or not.

So I think some tough love here is called for. I'm going out for the afternoon tomorrow so will put the boys outside with water and vet bed on the verandah - its not supposed to rain here tomorrow (and assuming Sarah is OK I'll leave her inside after toiletting - she had a tumour of as yet undetermined type removed today). I;ll then see where to go to from there. Thanks so much everyone - really appreciated. smile.gif

Check UTI and what you're doing is great. You know what you're doing now and I totally understand your frustration! You are dealing with the most stubborn breed I've ever met!

For cleaning up I recommend Delete. I've had a couple of sample sizes in show bags and a little bit goes a long long way! Also a mate of mine was having similar problems to you and she swears by the stuff. She has a house cleaner who thinks it's the best product for pet owners and recommends it to clients. Not cheap but if the white vinegar isn't working, this will.

Check UTI and what you're doing is great. You know what you're doing now and I totally understand your frustration! You are dealing with the most stubborn breed I've ever met!

For cleaning up I recommend Delete. I've had a couple of sample sizes in show bags and a little bit goes a long long way! Also a mate of mine was having similar problems to you and she swears by the stuff. She has a house cleaner who thinks it's the best product for pet owners and recommends it to clients. Not cheap but if the white vinegar isn't working, this will.

Excellent thank you Katdogs. Yes I've had a frantic week and was so looking forward to a relatively quiet weekend and to come home to this was more than I bear - and my rational objective thinking just completely went out the wIndow after over a week of cleaning up every night after I got home!

Do you know where to get Delete? I've not heard of it before? Might Petstock have it? I could pick some up tomorrow morning if its available locally. Thanks so much.

Edited by westiemum

Sounds like a dominance issue with it being on the lounge & in the bed. Accidents would be more likely to be done on the floor.

My year old entire boy here has a dominance thing going on with my desexed bossy 8 year old

girl here & will pee in her bed sometimes. He is at that age where he wants to challenge her but doesn't dare so he does this instead. Its so annoying.

Try some Napisan for your lounge. A strong dilution in some warm water may do the trick.