Australia's Reputation Goes To The Dogs

Cordyceps

http://www.smh.com.au/world/australias-reputation-goes-to-the-dogs-20130826-2smc4.html

It's a case of the dog, the diplomat, his maid and the vet - and in downtown Taipei, it's the talk of the town.

A minor international crisis has erupted in the Taiwanese capital involving Australia's representative, Kevin Magee, his 10-year-old street mutt, Benji, and a well-meaning vet named Dr Yang.

"The whole thing is very strange," said English expat Sean McCormack, who runs an animal shelter.

"And it's certainly not doing Australia's reputation any good."

At the centre of the ruckus is Benji, an exceptionally lucky mutt rescued from the streets by Mr Magee's predecessor, Alice Cawte.

Ms Cawte kept the dog at the Australian Office, Australia's defacto embassy in Taipei. But when Ms Cawte became consul-general in Shanghai, she had to leave Benji behind.

"[Ms Cawte] was a dog lover," Mr McCormack said. "By all accounts, Magee is not." In July, Benji had a stroke and was taken to a local veterinarian, Yang Dong-sheng.

Rather than take the dog himself, however, Mr Magee sent his Filipino maid, with instructions that Benji be put down.

"Our family came to the difficult decision to have Benji humanely euthanased to save her needless indignity and suffering," Mr Magee said in a statement released on Friday.

But Dr Yang ran some tests and concluded the dog "would be OK". He told this to the maid, who he assumed was the dog's owner.

"She went away but then came back and said, 'No, the dog needs to be put down.' I said 'No! We don't need to do that!' But she insisted."

Dr Yang then took the money for euthanasing and cremating Benji but didn't go through with it. Instead, he took the dog home, where he continued to treat it at his expense. "I give the dog medicine, and the dog gets better."

So much better, in fact, that Benji soon escaped from Dr Yang's garden and was on her way home to the Australian Office when it was picked up by the dog catcher.

"We trusted the vet and were shocked to learn that Benji had been found wandering on the street," said Mr Magee, who is now suing Dr Yang for fraud.

The case has caused an uproar in Taipei, where Dr Yang is highly regarded.

"He is very compassionate, very Buddhist," Mr McCormack said. "We've rescued more than 900 animals and almost all of them were treated by Dr Yang - always at a great discount and sometimes free of charge. People cannot believe that [Mr Magee] would sue him for saving a dog's life."

As one Australian told the Herald: "Don't mention my name but this is making waves in Taiwan and not doing a great job for our reputation here."

When Benji was found, Mr Magee rang Dr Yang but the vet had no idea who he was.

"I'd only met the maid," Dr Yang said. "Then suddenly this man is calling me, saying I steal his money. He said, 'You not honour the contract!' He told me I had to publicly apologise. But I say, 'I'm not returning your money, and I am not apologising.' Then [Mr Magee] said, 'I will tell the police.' I said OK, do that."

Mr Magee did not return the Herald's calls. Nor did Ms Cawte.

A spokesperson from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade said only that "this is a personal matter between Australia's representative in Taiwan and another individual".

Meanwhile, Benji is back with Mr Magee; Mr McCormack is spearheading her release.

nw-wd-dog-20130826211152433921-620x349.jpg

Edited by sputnik

Sorry - the diplomat. He should not be suing the vet - it could have been sorted out in a decent way without all this publicity. Living in Asia I'm sure he'd be aware of the cruelty that is suffered by way too many animals and yet here is an incredible man of compassion.

I understand the law in Australia means that if an owner wants to euthanase their dog then the vet has to do it, not sure about the law in Taiwan. Morally, just because someone has the money to pay to euthanase a dog for whatever reason, doesn't make it right if the dog is healthy, able to recover with treatment and many other things I don't have time to right at the moment.

Dogs recover from strokes all the time, with tlc. It seems here that this may have been a good reason to get rid of a dog the diplomat never wanted around.

Edited by dogmad

It's certainly a lesson in getting culture issues wrong - both in terms of his dealings with the maid, and his dealings with a predominantly buddhist/taoist culture.

It should also be an lesson to expatriates on limited term postings not to take on dogs and expect them to be as well treated as you would like if you hand them onto the next person posting in. I know it's not that uncommon and does give dogs homes that they might not otherwise find. Nonetheless, maybe the practice bears reflection.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

What a horrible man (the diplomat).

You'd have to think asking for a dog to be put to death (when the problem is fixable) is like saying I no longer want this dog. If someone else wishes to take over their care, why would he care for goodness sake??

Maybe he's not used to being ignored and feels the need to prove he is more powerful?

The diplomat did not actively seek to own a dog he inherited it. Seems to me the real problem lies with the person who left the dog in the first place.

The vet had no right to take money for a procedure and then not provide it, that is fraud and a breach of trust.

He is meant to be a diplomat..... this means he is meant to know and understand the situations he is likely to encounter due to the differences in culture. It is common for dogs to transfer ownerships when people are transferred around different countries. This guy would know it is not unusual. He is just being an asshole..... Surely he should be a "diplomat" in this situation.

The Vet took the money for services - there is no mention that the Diplomat signed a release form to have the dog put down.... what if the vet had put the dog down on the advice of the maid and turned out there was a miscommunication - bet the bloody diplomat would have sued the vet for putting the dog down then.

Damm Diplomat should have got off his ass and taken the dog himself.

Yeah this diplomat sounds like an A grade a****h**** to me too. The benevolent vet said he would treat the dog and collect the euth and cremation fee as the dog may still yet be PTS. Suing for breach of contract my backside. Sounds like he's got a smartypants attitude problem from someone who had a crack at studying contract law once upon a time.

The maid paid knowing the dog was being treated so the contract then changed. Theres no way he would be a long time resident anyway, those positions only last 2 maybe 3 years before they bugger off to the middle east or somewhere else.

edit, and he should give the dog back to the vet.

Edited by DaffyDuck

So Mr Diplomat, why were you not at the super important negotiations involving the interests of a number of Australian businesses?

Well you see, I had to take the dog to the vet.

Really, don't you have staff to do that for you?

There are a few learning opportunities in this one, but I don't think it's fair to sheet home the blame to any one person. Also, arranging to have the dog put down is far kinder than what happens in many expat/posting situations. It's not just young arab guys with too much money turfing unwanted dogs into the deserts of the middle east for example. It's easy in hindsight to have all the answers, but I bet a similar scenario finds its way onto a DFAT training course at some point in the future :D

There is no harm done & the money would be a small amount not grand larceny.

Magee obviously neither loves nor wants this dog so if he was a decent person he would return the dog to the vet & say keep it. End of the matter.

Callous & stupid man. Not what we want to portray to other countries at all. Foreign affairs should have advised him to drop it to save face.