Howling

SkySoaringMagpie

OK, talk to me about howling. It is really giving me the irrits.

It used to be that they would only howl when OH and I arrived home, and they would respond to voice commands to knock it off. These days they are breaking into song more often, and are less responsive to voice control. It's a large pack of 10 dogs, and I don't want to push the generosity of my neighbours.

They are not baying breeds - all sighthounds. I have a couple of whingers that I didn't have 3 years ago, and I'm wondering if the whinging is triggering the howling. I do have a bitch in season at the moment, but I'm of the school of thought that they should still behave around the ladies so I'm not too inclined to let them get away with it on that basis.

They don't nuisance bark, they are all really good about barking.

Anyway. Thoughts? I'm especially interested from anyone who has knocked it on the head in a pack of 5 or more.

Sorry no help here at all but I think we need a video - I would love to see a pack of sighthounds howling :laugh:

I have a howler and I find it really cute - she throws her head back, sticks her nose in the air and goes for it - she has a huge array of howls - the most common is soft and lovely "I'm being adorable so I can't be ignored"

Where I used to live we had a greyhound family down at the bottom of the hill. Theirs were kennelled in the double garage. Every few nights they would sing at about 2am... And it was a weird, eerie (and loud!) noise. We were several blocks away and it would wake us without fail. But I didn't mind too much as it was just sort of strange and musical. But I used to wonder what their next door neighbours thought... :eek:

And when I stay with friends who have a much bigger Borzoi pack than me they usually start up howling at about 4am... They must have the world's best neighbours... :o It's loud.

Sorry, not much help... :laugh:

I too would try e collars or maybe even citronella.

Who are the main instigators? E collars, remotes and condition them back to what quiet means.

Ta. I do know who the instigators are - they are the ones with the biggest cases of FOMO when they see OH or myself or one of the other dogs out doing something that they aren't doing. It used to be I could call their names to pick them off and shut them up but the FOMO has been winning of late. I did try a "hand of god" style approach by banging on the back of the runs and that worked instantly, but I would imagine once they got over the surprise of that it would no longer work.

Have you identified any triggers SSM? Does it happen when they are in their runs or elsewhere?

Yes, it's usually a combination of barrier frustration and FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) in the runs - see response to Nek above. Once two or three start, the rest join in. I think you are both right about remote disrupters but I'm also wondering if a visual barrier might help too.

Edited to add: It's probably at worst 5 times a day when the girls are in season, but that's 4 times more than I'm really prepared to live with.

Alyosha, I am so glad mine isn't a 2am or 4am thing!

Edited by SkySoaringMagpie

I think that will be half your battle SSM - them adjusting to any interruption as they get used to it. My friends I mentioned above used to get great and instant silence if they turned on the floodlights when their Borzoi started up. But not anymore...

I think that will be half your battle SSM - them adjusting to any interruption as they get used to it. My friends I mentioned above used to get great and instant silence if they turned on the floodlights when their Borzoi started up. But not anymore...

Hrm, I might start with a radio and some visual barriers I think. Because I'd rather prevent it starting than accidentally reinforce them doing it under all sorts of circumstances :laugh: :cry: :laugh:

I don't think that is what Nek is suggesting tho', so if I can't stop them starting, I'll look into targeted "quiet" training of the instigators.

:thanks:

We switch on lights outside ... then everyone waits .... just in case we're on the way .. and often that's enough to break the mood .

I let them howl at dark if their boss isn't home ...

A whistle may help... it certainly breaks the howl pretty well immediately... whether it picks up again .. depends, I guess .

Glad I don't have near neighbours ..I quite enjoy a big group howl ;)

I wonder if you can still get those "silent" dog whistles? You know the ones that are supposed to be too high for humans to hear? I haven't heard of them for years. Anyone?

edit to add - der. I should perhaps google first... Seems there are lots around. :o

Edited by Alyosha

Is this only happening whne you have girls in season? My dogs lose control of thier brains at times like that and I can't really see any bark collars working in this instance

My sense is that it's gotten worse over time, but it's aggravated by a bitch being in at the moment, which has in turn aggravated me enough to post. :laugh:

I'd like to get on top of it when the girls aren't in, then I might have a chance of getting on top of it when they are.

OK, talk to me about howling. It is really giving me the irrits.

It used to be that they would only howl when OH and I arrived home, and they would respond to voice commands to knock it off. These days they are breaking into song more often, and are less responsive to voice control. It's a large pack of 10 dogs, and I don't want to push the generosity of my neighbours.

They are not baying breeds - all sighthounds. I have a couple of whingers that I didn't have 3 years ago, and I'm wondering if the whinging is triggering the howling. I do have a bitch in season at the moment, but I'm of the school of thought that they should still behave around the ladies so I'm not too inclined to let them get away with it on that basis.

They don't nuisance bark, they are all really good about barking.

Anyway. Thoughts? I'm especially interested from anyone who has knocked it on the head in a pack of 5 or more.

I have this and it is always worse when I have a whinger in my pack. The whinger (in my current situation it is Mike) starts whinging due to FOMO and before you know it the rest go into pack drive and the ONLY way I can stop it is to actually get right up close to them to "snap" them out of it. Previously it was Daphne and once she went to a pet home the howling was reduced astronomically. I think you need to work out who is starting it up and work on that dog.