New To Vet Bed

valleygirl

Hi

I have just received my first vet bed after reading some of your posts as to how good they were. Last and this was my first litter I used towels old flannel sheets and a few trees worth of newspaper.

Do you put anything on top of the bed as it looks quite thick and I wondered if the puppies when first born would have trouble with all the fluff. //////////also do you wash before use.

Hi

I have just received my first vet bed after reading some of your posts as to how good they were. Last and this was my first litter I used towels old flannel sheets and a few trees worth of newspaper.

Do you put anything on top of the bed as it looks quite thick and I wondered if the puppies when first born would have trouble with all the fluff. //////////also do you wash before use.

Wash it many times before use...................even then it can still shed fluff, as is happening here right now..................for first ten days or so I put old white sheets over it to avoid puppies inhaling fluff, plus I can see any discharges..................after that sheet gets wet when puppies start urinating for themselves so sheet gets cold and stops vet bed from doing its job..............that's when I ditch the sheets......might add that fluff is PITA getting caught on edges of Velcro ID collars I'm using..........had to get a pin to clean one

Wash before use yes. I never had a fluff problem though.

As for hoping there is lots of sun - 1 of the great things with vetbed is how quickly it dries. Even with my winter litter I was not having a problem getting it dry.

I washed mine and put it in the dryer so that reduced any fluff issues.

I did find that the green backed stuff was quite hard and yes it does soften in time, but it takes quite a few washes and due to the size I found it a bit painful to wash/dry. The rubber backed was much easier to get into the washer dryer as it was far more pliable

• 2 weeks later...

I've used the velcro collars before from birth as I needed it for ID. I found that with my breed they rubbed a little too much on the shoulders so I switched to rick-rack for these last litters until they were 3 weeks old at which time they went on to little Rogz puppy collars in the same colours as the rick-rack (or as similar as I could get). Worked fabulously and will do the same again next time.

If you have small puppies or puppies with little necks cut the velcro collars so they are narrow, Also don't wrap them round and around and around as it ends up like a neck brace.

I use them from newborn - Great Danes

I used them last time from about 3 weeks as that was when I finally found out where to get them, and had no issues. The pups are all well over 1kg now at one week so not little but all very similar so I would like to take notice of whos who to determine temperament etc. Just was a little unsure if they were too young. If you happily use them on dane puppies from birth I imagine it should be ok.

thankyou again everyone for sharing. :D