Best Timing To Desex A Bitch

OSoSwift

Physically she has returned to normal as in teats are flat and not pendulous.

I was wondering if her Uterus would be more friable after a litter and if that would affect timing. If it was just between seasons I would do it in the middle.

Might do it around 2 months after she weaned her babies then.

I haven't had much luck in regard to Spey incontinence before regardless of timing so will do just about anything to avoid it that I can.

Thank you for your suggestions

Edited by OSoSwift

My vet has always said 2-3mths after a season or she has weaned her puppies is ideal as everything has had time to return to normal and it lowers the risk of incontinence.

We do the above time span but never ever had any spay incontinence issues

My vet has always said 2-3mths after a season or she has weaned her puppies is ideal as everything has had time to return to normal and it lowers the risk of incontinence.

We do the above time span but never ever had any spay incontinence issues

Must say the same, doing it this way I have never had any issues and I have spayed a lot of girls. I wonder if it is breed related

So that would make it towards the end of October early November.

I had a Rotti bitch desexed at 8 months, by 18 months she had incontinence

I had a Dobe bitch who was desexed at around 6, she was speyed around a week after a c section due to uterine infection.

And a Dobe who was 5 and desexed right in the middle of her seasons, within 18 months she had incontinence as well.

I don't know what I do that is do wrong :(

I was told to wait at least 2 months after a season so everything goes back to normal & prevent haemorrhage.

Fern had a litter June 20th and was desexed mid Nov. 2 years ago now and no sign of any incontinence. Only bitch that I ever had that developed incontinence was spayed at 6 months, had a UTI at 6 years and became incontinent after that. I've had several spayed bitches and only the one that had any problems.

i had a girl done at 9 weeks post whelp, all good!

So did I. on advice of repro vet who said it was the best time, I was dubious because bitch had had emergency caesar and raised a big litter and was looking pretty flat, she also was still discharging fairly heavily..........in hindsight it was a good move, allowed her to have it all done with and she has not looked back

Oh okay, she is 9 weeks post whelp now. She had a tough time having the babies, but after that it was all good. She was a walking jersey cow but didn't lose a heap of weight - took a lot of food but I kept her body condition up really well. Apart from doing her post baby coat change you really wouldn't know she has had babies - apart from the land sharks under your feet!

My vets are happy to do after babies are weaned and the boobs have gone back (so they don't hang down over the wound if possible) so they are happy for me to book her in anytime.

Hmmm decisions decisions.

I want it done, she is not going to have any more babies, but it's still hard to do if that makes sense...................

• 2 weeks later...

Rommi was desexed today, 11 weeks one day after her litter.

Her uterus was very friable and tore in two necessitating a larger surgical wound as they of course had to go looking for the bit left attached. She did not bleed or anything like that so all good there.

It also appears she was brewing an infection. She did show signs of an early infection after having the pups. Due to all the internals she had getting them born she was put on 5 days of clavulox just incase.

Around 8 days after they finished her discharge started increasing not decreasing, she then started eating less and getting restless and when I took her temp it was 39.5. She got put on a 10 day course of Clavulox within 48hours had picked up, was eating properly and her discharge decreased markedly.

I have noticed over the last week Lewis has been sniffing her back end quite a bit and showing more interest. No other signs of coming into season and considering she normally cycles around 7 to 8 monthly I would be very surprised if she was starting to come back in.

Her uterus had an area of thickening and encapsulated pus as well as a small amount of fluid in the uterus which may have been due to her recent litter or may have been the result of a slow infection ticking over.

Do all in all getting her desexed now and not leaving it another season turned out to be a wise move. Plus she was due to come in around Christmas. My kennels were already booked out and I have three entire males at home!!! Hair tearing territory :)

So that would make it towards the end of October early November.

I had a Rotti bitch desexed at 8 months, by 18 months she had incontinence

I had a Dobe bitch who was desexed at around 6, she was speyed around a week after a c section due to uterine infection.

And a Dobe who was 5 and desexed right in the middle of her seasons, within 18 months she had incontinence as well.

I don't know what I do that is do wrong :(

My Aussie Shepherd was spayed at 6 months and now has occasional incontinence too (she aged 2.5). I don't think you did anything wrong...I think it is a risk, that isn't particularly well known.

I ummm and ahhhed about the timing of getting my girl done...did lots of research, spoke to a lot of people and thoughtfully made a decision...but then had that happen. My Siberian was spayed at 6 months also and has never had an issue (now 7.5).

Unfortunately I think it is luck (or lack of) of the draw.