Whining Mother

Leema

This may be more my issue. :laugh:

I have a maiden bitch who has a singleton puppy delivered by c-section about 4 days ago. Everyone is doing well - her wound looks nice and she has no discharge, puppy's gaining weight and complains about nothing.

Yesterday and today, the bitch is pacing around the room and whining. I've tried:

*locking her in the whelping box, where she sits in there and whines too (but tends to the pup inbetween whining)

*sitting on the floor with her (as she's a cuddle-muffin) but she just keeps whining on your lap

*telling her off for whining! (just makes her more sad)

*taking her out for wees/poos/whatevers - quickly goes and wants to be back with puppy

*made the whelping box hotter/colder incase that was her upset (e.g. "I want to see puppy but it's too uncomfortable to be there")

*completely covering the whelping box with a sheet so it's more cave like and she can't see me anymore - no change

The whining sound is driving me mad! I don't know what she wants.

She is being a good mum - in between the whining!

Her temperature is 37.8C.

She doesn't have free access to outside, and there is no means to give her free access to outside because of the toher dogs.

He whelping box is set up in the same spot her crate has been since she was 12 weeks old. Myrtle slept in the whelping box for about a week before whelping puppies so she was used to the box. Her routine for the week prior to whelping is pretty much the same - except instead of being in the lounge on the couch with us, she's in a whelping box in the bedroom with us sitting nearby. And she gets fed twice a day now.

Her temperature is 37.8C.

She doesn't have free access to outside, and there is no means to give her free access to outside because of the toher dogs.

He whelping box is set up in the same spot her crate has been since she was 12 weeks old. Myrtle slept in the whelping box for about a week before whelping puppies so she was used to the box. Her routine for the week prior to whelping is pretty much the same - except instead of being in the lounge on the couch with us, she's in a whelping box in the bedroom with us sitting nearby. And she gets fed twice a day now.

I would say she is very uncomfortable and doesn't know what to do about it - I have heard oxytocin can settle this but I used buscopan a few times recently with a bitch with severe discomfort, especially when feeding Ring your vet

I agree with dragon woman

Probably very uncomfortable - lots of milk and one baby does not take very much.

You could try bathing her boobs with warm vinegar and water which is supposed to be good for soothing the breasts when trying to wean babies whose mother has too much milk.

She should not need too much extra food when she only has one baby to feed.

yes, definitely just feed a normal amount of food .at present .. pre pregnancy quantity , even.. .. so there isn't massive amounts of milk being produced. her boobs will settle a bit once her system realises that there is only one being emptied regularly .... I would probably not use the vinegar - pup may not enjoy the taste ;) ( I have used it with bitches who've lost pups or got mastitis )

Also, she has an incision in between her boobs, so I wouldn't want to get that wet.

Her boobs don't seem that generous... I've had a singleton before, and those boobs were full! These boobs already seem to look like they're moderating for one puppy. I'm sure they still don't feel good, though.

She seems a bit more settled now... I think if I restrict her choice (lock her in) she is more contented. If it is her surgery site that is actually hurting, then obviously moving around could be hurting it, too.

Watch her very carefully as it could be the start of eclampsia which is an emergency. It is unlikely without a large litter but anything is possible. I would be calling the vet now and going on their advice. By 4 days many bitches do not want to spend much time with their babies, apart from feeding and cleaning them so I would be wary of locking her in with the puppy.

I have heard oxytocin can settle this

I had a bitch who had two previous litters no trouble, third litter was doing what you descibe and a shot of oxytocin fixed her up

(Vet gave her Valium no good, old time breeder suggested Oxy and it worked.)

It seems to be a morning thing... pacing and whining in the morning, and gets better throughout the day. Wondering if I perhaps should feed him a midnight meal, in case her body is somehow getting depleted throughout the night or something

Trying to find Calcium Sandoz in a local vet as its has been recommended by my reproductive vet.

In the meantime feeding her powdered calcium and milk and cheese... Loves it.

Puppy still well, Myrtle still being a good mum in between being annoying.

Was going to suggest trying Calcium. A lot of the repro forums seem to recommend this for issues with a bitch who is unsettled (or even agressive) following whelping.

IF you can't find Calcium Sandoz, you can use Citracal tablets from the chemist (get the ones without added Vit D for preference). They are calcium citrate which is easily absorbed and dont need to be given with food. Recommended on a repro forum I am on (run by Myra Savant et al). I used them with my recent litter.

Finally got hands on calcium syrup last night. I made sure I got up early this morning and fed her breakfast (with calcium syrup) straight away.

This morning, she's good.

Who knows if it was pain or calcium, but seems like it's sorted, either way!