What's Your Recall?

Leema

Jake come, he's pretty good and I've been working on a long leash to get a quicker response. I can call him off chasing a turkey, he will stop from running to the fence to fight the neighbours dog. I think he sets me up for that though because he always gets treats for coming from a potential dog interaction. Training works both ways with us.

I say come or come here for an informal recall, it means come immediately the first time, you may get a piece of food or a pat or maybe a toss of the ball. The needs to come right to me, close enough to easily clip on a leash.

For obedience I say 'front' as in my mind, the formal recall is a position.

Hmmm, I've never thought as using "front" as a recall, but you are right... Now.. to teach them "front" :rofl:

I literally start by teaching a really good, precise front and then increase distance. You don't have to say front, but I already use come and here so ran out of words lol.

"here" is our informal recall, all I expect of that is for them to turn and head back towards me & to stick fairly close til released. "come" means come to me, with in grabbing/leashing distance. They are the only 2 recall words I use.

Eta: I use "come" for formal recalls as well and the dogs dont seem to get confused with formal or more casual.

Edited by Clover

I think we often get caught up in worrying unnecessarily about things like this when dogs can deal with this sort of thing very easily as long as we are aware of what we are doing and how it is affecting our dog and it's performance and responses to us.

I find it frustrating when I hear people say things like they can't track their dog because it does herding. Or you shouldn't teach a show dog to sit. Absolute rubbish.

Generally agree with this. :)

Dogs understand context and while I think it is important to be ultra consistent with puppies once you have the behaviour the are able to generalise pretty well.

Unless you are chasing the final .5% between you and the world champion I think that doing a variety of things with our dogs is important. Even then I think that dogs need more than one outlet.

When I call a dog it means come right to my feet unless I say stop or stay in which case you put the breaks on and stay where you are. Some of my dogs are better at this than others. Torque is amazing. She can be on the other side of a paddock filled with livestock and she hears "HERE" and she comes speeding to you. "OI" means I want you to refocus on me but not necessarily come to me.

Edited by mixeduppup

"Quinny come!"/"Saxsaxsax"/"Rileyrileyriley" are their normal 'at the park' recalls and I have my arms out wide too, it means come straight to me and be close enough that I can easily get hold of your collar. It has turned into come to me and sit in front as close as you can (because usually all three will come when I call any of them so they have to find a spot next to the others).

"Come on" means follow in the direction I'm going because we're moving somewhere, usually I want them away from something that's going on nearby or am heading to the gate coz it's time to go.

"This way" means keep an eye on me and head in my general direction but keep sniffing/playing etc if you want.

I didn't really teach the last two, they've just evolved as part of our general communication.