Kentucky Woman Devoured

SkySoaringMagpie

I don't know what's so surprising, the thought has crossed my mind.

Consequently, I haven't missed one feed in over eight years. :D

Joking about this is very bad taste

So is Monte Python.

Huh?

Humor, as a response to disgust, is a natural response. Think Dead Parrot. It's as stupid to slight people for making jokes in 'bad taste' as it is to make fun of someone for blushing.

So if my friend got eaten by her dogs and someone cracked a joke about it then that would be OK? Just because people do it doesn't mean others can't be offended by it. The point is moot anyway as he said he wasn't being funny.

How do you know he was joking? His dogs probably would eat him if he died and they got hungry.

I was confused by the huge grinning face and it came off as a joke. He said he wasn't so I believe that. Last thing I'm saying on the subject. :)

Edited by mixeduppup

So is Monte Python.

Huh?

Humor, as a response to disgust, is a natural response. Think Dead Parrot. It's as stupid to slight people for making jokes in 'bad taste' as it is to make fun of someone for blushing.

So if my friend got eaten by her dogs and someone cracked a joke about it then that would be OK? Just because people do it doesn't mean others can't be offended by it. The point is moot anyway as he said he wasn't being funny.

How do you know he was joking? His dogs probably would eat him if he died and they got hungry.

I was confused bu the huge grinning face and it came off as a joke. He said he wasn't so I believe that. Last thing I'm saying on the subject. :)

For single persons that don't have a lot of family etc it is a very real fear that you will die and no one will notice for ages. Sometimes laughing about that is a defense mechanism.

ETA: It appears this woman has had a long history of hoarding and abuse. I m not entirely certain that I hope she was dead when they decided to dine on her...

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/serial-dog-hoarder-patricia-ritz-eaten-starving-wolf-dogs-faced-animal-cruelty-charges

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/25/patricia-ritz-animal-abuser-eaten-dogs_n_3991508.html

There were also a lot of puppies and pregnant bitches slowly starving to death at this place and some dead animals were also found. Karma maybe?

ETA 2: I just cannot understand why people like this are not monitored. Would it not be cheaper to stop them from acquiring all these animals than to clean up after the shit hit the fan? Unbelievable!

Interesting backstory, thanks for digging that up. I'm guessing if she had a distorted perception of reality about her hoarding it's no surprise she misjudged being ill and alone in a pack of over 50 hybrids.

Re monitoring, the difficulty is the needle in a haystack thing. There is someone in my breed in the US who is being monitored, and another in the UK - but if they take an overnight bus somewhere and set up with a different name in a far flung location it can be hard to track them. One thing tho', a decent conviction with a ban on owning animals or owning more than a small handful of animals should help to stop them once they are found starting over again.

Yes, animal hoarding is notoriously difficult to stop. Top notch research from the US Hoarding of Animals Research Consortium, says recidivism approaches 100%.

They set out the characteristics & behaviours of the main types of animal hoarders. And it's clear that what would stop regular folk, in their tracks, would be water off a duck's back for hoarders.

This report is worth reading... even just for that.

http://vet.tufts.edu/hoarding/pubs/AngellReport.pdf

Edited by mita

One of my old students brought over her wolf/dog hybrid about 8 years ago and I remember her telling me how difficult it was and she had to build an enclosure. She said the temperaments were incredibly difficult, the photo made it look like a belgian shepherd cross

Into Australia? Wonder how as I seem to remember from my reading of import rules that wolf hybrids were not permitted to be imported.

So is Monte Python.

Huh?

I was confused bu the huge grinning face and it came off as a joke. He said he wasn't so I believe that. Last thing I'm saying on the subject. :)

For single persons that don't have a lot of family etc it is a very real fear that you will die and no one will notice for ages. Sometimes laughing about that is a defense mechanism.

I will admit I couldn't help thinking about Bridget Jones' Diary and the 'Eaten by Alsatians' scene!!

I always used to joke that if I fell over, Albert would eat me. Tralee, you wouldn't last as long with bigger dogs. :laugh:

And there are some cases of deceased owners in Aus being partly eaten by their dogs, particularly those confined to the house. None of the dogs were wolf hybrids. None of these cases were ever splashed all over the paper - but it was in Aus and the circumstances were different; and perhaps we have more discretion here.

No one will ever know if this lady died first, I guess but it was probable, given her health, but who knows?

Edited by Jed

So is Monte Python.

Huh?

I will admit I couldn't help thinking about Bridget Jones' Diary and the 'Eaten by Alsatians' scene!!

What comes to mind for me is interviews with people who suffer distress: families of suicides, people with horrible disfiguring injuries or diseases, etc., and the almost universal comment that the most awful part is people looking away, pretending nothing is wrong, and leaving them lonely in depressing silence. By in large, I think frank bad taste, so long as it isn't cruel, is healthier than polite silence.

I also don't understand the shock-horror aspect here. I actually want to be processed and fed to my dogs when I die, but apparently that's illegal :shrug:

Realistically, once a person dies, their body is a potential food source for their potentially starving pets. How is that any worse than being worm food?

He's spent too much time watching Bridget Jones and thought he'd borrow the funny

I suddenly realized that unless some thing changed soon...

I was going to live a life where my major relationship... was with a bottle of wine... and I'd finally die fat and alone...and be found three weeks later, half-eaten by wild dogs.

Jokes aside, people must be really naïve to think that there own pooch wouldn't consume them as a means of survival.

One of my old students brought over her wolf/dog hybrid about 8 years ago and I remember her telling me how difficult it was and she had to build an enclosure. She said the temperaments were incredibly difficult, the photo made it look like a belgian shepherd cross

Into Australia? Wonder how as I seem to remember from my reading of import rules that wolf hybrids were not permitted to be imported.

That is what I thought but he was definitely a hybrid, it was so long ago and the details are fuzzy but there were heaps of conditions put on her she said it was a nightmare to do

He's spent too much time watching Bridget Jones and thought he'd borrow the funny

I suddenly realized that unless some thing changed soon...

I was going to live a life where my major relationship... was with a bottle of wine... and I'd finally die fat and alone...and be found three weeks later, half-eaten by wild dogs.

Jokes aside, people must be really naïve to think that there own pooch wouldn't consume them as a means of survival.

It actually happens more than we realize, if someone dies alone and they have a dog in the house with them, chances are the person will get chewed on when the dog gets hungry. Not unlike when a bunch of humans survive a plane crash in the middle of no where, eventually someone gets eaten, it's not just dogs that get peckish.