Dog Show Spectator Etiquette

Brandiandwe

This Monday I am planning on heading out to a hound show being held locally. It's my first one, and I'm hoping it will be a chance to see some much coveted breeds close up, meet some for the first time and generally become better educated. Neither this in mind, I don't want to annoy people. So what behaviour is the right or wrong thing?

I've already contacted a couple o breeders and by have very kindly invited me over to introduce myself, meet their dogs and talk dogs. But what is the done thing? Are people happy to discuss their dogs with strangers?

I'm guessing avoid people before, during and immediately after their class, admire dogs from a distance, ask permission before taking photos, definitely ask permission before touching a dog, absolutely do not feed a dog anything but what am I missing? Anything I should do (besides complimenting their dog?). Anything I shouldn't do? My own dogs will be at home. All are disease free and up to date with vaccinations etc. am I over thinking this?

You have got it pretty well covered. If people look too busy to talk they are - especially anyone actively grooming or waiting at ringside with dogs to go in the ring. After judging they often need a few minutes to calm down, so best given space then too. Breeds are judged in alphabetical order so pretty easy to look at what is being judged and figure out if it is likely to be a reasonable time to approach a given breed, although some people show multiple breeds so doesn't always work. And the show scene has lots of cliques, so best not to say how great someone else's dogs are until you know they get along, :laugh:

You sound sensible and polite so I am sure you will be well received, it was a good idea to tee up a few people in advance as you have. I like NSW Hound Club, they run a good show.

Edited by Diva

I'm guessing avoid people before, during and immediately after their class, admire dogs from a distance, ask permission before taking photos, definitely ask permission before touching a dog, absolutely do not feed a dog anything but what am I missing?

All of this - you have it completely nailed!!!

Anything I should do (besides complimenting their dog?).

Do a sh*tload of this and you will be just fine!!

Keep in mind this is also a social day out for the owners whilst we all enjoy talking we also make our dogshow days a social gathering amongst friends so keep this in mind when talking with people don't over stay your welcome .

Don't over do the complimenting especially if you really don't have much clue about what your talking about .

I guess the main thing is what you want to discuss .

We generally suggest people go to shows to see the breeds,get contact details from those people they like & then phone breeders to discuss things more personal .

For me there are things we discuss at shows & things we don't so maybe let us now what questions you are hoping to ask .

We met our Joey and his breeder at a show when were there to check out some breeders and their dogs. He was up for sale to the right person/people. We didn't know that until that day tho. We obviously picked the best time to chat to the breeders. I had rung some up previously and they suggested it in the conversation to come and when the best times to have a chat with them.

Some breed clubs put on fun days for pet dog owners of their breed and for people interested in pursuing that particular breed. Its a great way for people to meet breeders (that are associated with the club)in an informal relaxed environment. We belong to a Cavalier club here in SA ;)

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

If you take children (quite a few folk do) keep them close and don't let them pat dogs without asking the handler first.

Don't walk into or through people's gazebos (dogs are usually up the back) without asking first.

You will NEVER go wrong telling someone their dog is beautiful. :)

Its a great entry at the Hound Club of NSW show - enjoy! This is the breed entry breakdown

AFGHAN HOUND

BASENJI

BASSET FAUVE DE BRETAGNE

BASSET HOUND

BEAGLE

BLOODHOUND

BORZOI

DACHSHUND (LONG HAIRED)

DACHSHUND (MINI LONG HAIRED)

DACHSHUND (SMOOTH HAIRED)

DACHSHUND (MINI SMOOTH HAIRED)

DACHSHUND (WIRE HAIRED)

DACHSHUND (MINI WIRE HAIRED)

DEERHOUND

FINNISH SPITZ

FOXHOUND

GREYHOUND

HARRIER

IRISH WOLFHOUND

PETIT BASSET GRIFFON VENDEEN

PORTUGUESE PODENGO (SMALL)

RHODESIAN RIDGEBACK

SALUKI

WHIPPET

We generally suggest people go to shows to see the breeds,get contact details from those people they like & then phone breeders to discuss things more personal .

Yes, apart from doing most of what the O/P's already sussed out, I also saw it as an opportunity to get contact details so more detailed enquiries could be made.

In my case, I was dead serious about getting my first adult (retired showdog) tibbie.

So I also promised the breeders I'd be contacting that I'd first send them a very brief summary about us, our environment for pets, & our history as pet owners.

Then when I phoned, they'd already know something about us.

I think your comment about not taking up too much of the breeders' time at the show, was spot on, too. They need the time to catch up with their fellow breeders as well as do the many little tasks that go along with a show day.

Edited by mita

Money: check! Children: non-existent.

Does anyone have any ideas about timing? I see that judging starts at 10 and obviously the classes with more entrants take longer, but the breeds I'd especially like to see are the Borzoi, deerhounds, saluki, wolfhounds, greys and whippets. The breeders are whippet breeders but dh lurves deerhounds. Mostly I want a chance to find out a little about temperament and so on, to see about the 'click' which I feel with greys and if it extends to other breeds.

The drool factor is also important. Gorgeous dogs!!!!

Important point about not imposing and being careful. I'll remember that! Thank you all so much.

Money: check! Children: non-existent.

Does anyone have any ideas about timing? I see that judging starts at 10 and obviously the classes with more entrants take longer, but the breeds I'd especially like to see are the Borzoi, deerhounds, saluki, wolfhounds, greys and whippets. The breeders are whippet breeders but dh lurves deerhounds. Mostly I want a chance to find out a little about temperament and so on, to see about the 'click' which I feel with greys and if it extends to other breeds.

The drool factor is also important. Gorgeous dogs!!!!

Important point about not imposing and being careful. I'll remember that! Thank you all so much.

Standard rate of judging is about 40 dogs an hour. You have 59 dogs before the first Borzoi so you'd expect to see them in around 1130. However factoring in potential absentees etc, I'd say 1100 would be a pretty safe time to get there. i think there's about 230 dogs in so that's nearly six hours of judging not including lunch.

If you ask for directions to where the Show Secretary is, you may be able to buy a catalogue - makes watching the dogs better IMO as you'll know who is who.

There are a couple of Foxhound breeders in Sydney, as we found out when we had one come into our rescue. Gorgeous dogs, but even more scent oriented than any Beagle I've ever met. I wouldn't want to try to raise one in suburbia unless I was highly involved in some sort of activity for it to expend it's energy on,

T.

There are a couple of Foxhound breeders in Sydney, as we found out when we had one come into our rescue. Gorgeous dogs, but even more scent oriented than any Beagle I've ever met. I wouldn't want to try to raise one in suburbia unless I was highly involved in some sort of activity for it to expend it's energy on,

T.

Big, powerful hounds too. You don't realise how big they are if you've mostly only seen pics of them with hunters on horseback!

Edited by Haredown Whippets