Sick Dogs Rescued From Fire At Brisbane Vet

Boronia

http://www.abc.net.a...ane-vet/5000628

Sick dogs rescued from fire at Brisbane vet

By Andree Withey Updated 10 minutes ago

5000654-3x2-700x467.jpg Photo: One of three dogs that was rescued from the fire (ABC News: Eddie Norbido) Map: Sunnybank 4109 Three sick dogs have been rescued from a burning veterinary clinic on Brisbane's southside, with one carried to safety on a stretcher.

The fire started just before dawn in a strip of shops on Station Road at Sunnybank and destroyed a newsagency, veterinary clinic and hairdressing salon.

Ian Moore from Queensland Fire and Rescue says six firefighters in breathing apparatus rescued sick animals from the vet clinic.

"Happy to report we did save three dogs from the fire," he said.

"They were actually withdrawn from the premises allowed to recuperate before being handed over to the vet staff where they're receiving further care."

The vet has taken the sick animals to his other practice where they will be cared for.

Firefighters contained the blaze and stopped it spreading to another seven businesses.

Passerby Gurrie Singh says it was very dramatic with a lot of smoke.

"Firefighters have been struggling a lot to control the fire. It was so bad, so bad," he said.

The cause of the fire is yet to be determined.

Guest Wildthing

Unfortunately, it is common practice to leave animals unattended overnight at vet clinics. That is why I do not usually leave any animals at the vets overnight. Some vets will go in during the night and check on patients if they think it is needed. Those dogs were very lucky to survive. Great job by the firefighters.

A little more info: http://au.news.yahoo...ed-in-qld-fire/

A Brisbane veterinarian says he was overcome with relief when he learnt firefighters had rescued three sick dogs from his clinic as it burst into flames.

One of the dogs, a 40kg Rottweiler, was carried on a stretcher from the burning building in Sunnybank, in Brisbane's south-west, about 3.40am on Saturday.

"Once I got there and found out the animals were ok there was a feeling of relief," Sunnybank Veterinary clinic owner Terry Martin told AAP.

"When I was driving in and saw the fire I thought they wouldn't have survived.

"The firefighters did a fantastic job. I'm very, very pleased they got the animals out safe and well."

The three sick dogs were the only animals in the building at the time of the blaze, Dr Martin said.

The fire engulfed a vacant shop, formerly a newsagency, and had spread to the veterinary clinic and a nearby hair salon by the time firefighters arrived.

Eleven fire crews battled the blaze which took 45 minutes to get under control, the Department of Community Safety said.

It is common practice for animals to stay overnight without anyone there, unless they require close or frequent monitoring/checks.

When my dog had her TPLO they usually keep them for the night, I asked to bring her home. One vet had a dig at me but I said well I am not your average pet owner having been a vet nurse for 15 years and having worked at that clinic but not with that vet. I can have her crated by my bed, hear her if she needs to get up or is in a lot of pain, bleeds etc. If she stays here she is in a cage over night with no-one to monitor her and she knows no-one is nearby so she will be less likely to settle. I am not going to panic and call you for no reason.

The vet couldn't argue with that.

The above is the reason I do not leave my dogs locked in my house when I am not here unless they have to be crated for a medical reason.

I feel sorry for the poor owners knowing just how close it came when theya re obviously already going to be under duress

Edited by OSoSwift

I won't leave mine inside without access to the doggy door either. As for leaving at the vets overnight - I wouldn't do it. I would much rather bring the dog home and return it in the morning or admit it to a 24 hour hospital where possible. It has to be better than being left alone when they are not well with no one to attend them if in distress. :(

Sometimes you don't have a choice but to leave them at the vet unattended overnight. We don't have 24hr vets and if your dog needs to be on a drip, well you are out of options.

You can ask for them to be transferred to a 24 hour vet hospital though if there is one in your area - they are attended at night.

Any Vets I have worked for have always had staff popping in and out during the night. Some animals require the quiet and undisturbed rest that they may not receive at home, there can be many reasons why a hospital stay is better than home, and not all areas have access to a 24hr clinic.

Many years ago I worked as a vet nurse and worked as the after hours primary carer for the clinic. I lived rent free above the clinic in order to watch over the animals during the night and on public holidays etc.

Every other clinic I worked in left the animals unattended during the evening. Usually from around 9pm till 6.30am or thereabouts.

Edited by ~Anne~