Petition - Ldh Brisbane

Running to the media and screaming "killer" every time a rescue doesn't get the dog/cat it wants from a pound/shelter isn't exactly the way to charm the people who run said pound/shelter though, is it?

At the end of the day, the pound is a business - and in the case of the LDH, it's a privately run business... tendered for and appointed with council approval. If you want to change things, you need to talk to council. Go to council with a plan to improve the problem as you see it - provide costings, and how to allocate funds/manpower towards what you'd like to see as a viable animal management plan. Make note of things such as space constraints, staffing levels, number of incoming and outgoing animals per annum, etc...

Be part of the solution, rather than the "problem"... it's all too easy to run to the media with sob stories, but what else are you doing to try to solve the problem? It's not as simple as just saying "hand over the animals to rescue" when you take into account the myriad other things that go into running a pound/shelter effectively.

In the meantime, ADOPT the available animals from LDH - they come desexed, vaccinated, and chipped for the price... and you are within your rights to rehome them after they are in your care, yes? Maybe if the LDH sees adoption numbers increase, they may put more of them up for adoption, ya think?

T.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Running to the media and screaming "killer" every time a rescue doesn't get the dog/cat it wants from a pound/shelter isn't exactly the way to charm the people who run said pound/shelter though, is it?

At the end of the day, the pound is a business - and in the case of the LDH, it's a privately run business... tendered for and appointed with council approval. If you want to change things, you need to talk to council. Go to council with a plan to improve the problem as you see it - provide costings, and how to allocate funds/manpower towards what you'd like to see as a viable animal management plan. Make note of things such as space constraints, staffing levels, number of incoming and outgoing animals per annum, etc...

Be part of the solution, rather than the "problem"... it's all too easy to run to the media with sob stories, but what else are you doing to try to solve the problem? It's not as simple as just saying "hand over the animals to rescue" when you take into account the myriad other things that go into running a pound/shelter effectively.

In the meantime, ADOPT the available animals from LDH - they come desexed, vaccinated, and chipped for the price... and you are within your rights to rehome them after they are in your care, yes? Maybe if the LDH sees adoption numbers increase, they may put more of them up for adoption, ya think?

T.

T - you are showing your ignorance of the problem now. Your last paragraph indicates that someone should adopt from LDH. That's the problem - you can't.

If the dog is over 2 yrs old - it's dead, if it's matted - it's dead, if it is too small - it's dead, if it's too big it's dead, if it doesn't look right - it's dead.

I've been there. I've seen around 100 dogs in there and 3 for adoption. THAT is the issue that these local rescue groups have been trying to address and you don't know the half of what has gone on. I'm beginning to find your posts a little offensive.

Edited by dogmad

LOL no worries T. You seem to be the expert on ALL things Lost Dogs Home.

Seeing as you have just taken the things I proposed previously, expanded on them and called them our idea.... I'll take that as a compliment.

And nothing wrong with utilizing the media to push your agenda and educate the public if, as I mentioned earlier, you have tried talking respectfully to council first to no avail....all good causes use it. It's worked here but I'm not giving too much away on here. Spies everywhere you know ;)

LOL no worries T. You seem to be the expert on ALL things Lost Dogs Home.

Seeing as you have just taken the things I proposed previously, expanded on them and called them our idea.... I'll take that as a compliment.

And nothing wrong with utilizing the media to push your agenda and educate the public if, as I mentioned earlier, you have tried talking respectfully to council first to no avail....all good causes use it. It's worked here but I'm not giving too much away on here. Spies everywhere you know ;)

You are so polite. I think it's time that T acknowledged that Victorian rescuers aren't totally clueless ...

Edited by dogmad

Hmmm... http://dogshome.com/pets/dogs/ ... quite a few long haired, large breed, not traditionally "pretty", and older dogs available for adoption across the LDH shelters...

So you reckon that if the dogs actually up for adoption were actually getting adopted reasonably quickly, that wouldn't inspire them to put more up for adoption? Pretty big call to make there...

You can call me ignorant all you like - if it makes you feel superior and more learned, that's fine by me.

T.

Hmmm... http://dogshome.com/pets/dogs/ ... quite a few long haired, large breed, not traditionally "pretty", and older dogs available for adoption across the LDH shelters...

So you reckon that if the dogs actually up for adoption were actually getting adopted reasonably quickly, that wouldn't inspire them to put more up for adoption? Pretty big call to make there...

You can call me ignorant all you like - if it makes you feel superior and more learned, that's fine by me.

T.

If any improvements have been made at the LDH it is due to the very hard work of the VIC rescue groups and you need to stop denigrating all that they've done. There's still a long way to go. LDH are not confined to their Melbourne shelter - as this thread indicates.

From what you "know", LOL you know nothing!

From what I know they used to work with rescue but some rescue nutters ruined it and so now they don't.

ETA: to clarify I was talking about north melbourne. I know nothing about Brisbane.

How bloody rude.

You don't know anything about me or what and who I know and for the record I'm not sticking up for them or any other shelters.

No wonder people dislike the rescue forums :laugh:

Edited by Aussie3

That was pretty polite actually ;) I think the rudeness began with your statement "rescue nutters"

There were very decent obliging rescuers that used to deal with the Lost Dogs Home, not nutters.

From what you "know", LOL you know nothing!

From what I know they used to work with rescue but some rescue nutters ruined it and so now they don't.

ETA: to clarify I was talking about north melbourne. I know nothing about Brisbane.

How bloody rude.

You don't know anything about me or what and who I know and for the record I'm not sticking up for them or any other shelters.

No wonder people dislike the rescue forums :laugh:

Edited by Guardienne

People clearly have some very different experiences with LDH and like any rescue group or organisation often the most positive stuff happens between actual people talking and negotiating and not at the organisational level. So it is feasible to have different experiences. Can we please not beat up on each other's experiences just because they are different? We all know it achieves nothing for the animals.

No-one on this thread so far is disputing the stats currently available are concerning for Brisbane and at present that is the location that is under scrutiny. Some useful lobbying information has been provided and I hope those that care enough and have the capacity at present push for clarity and change (if/where needed).

The dogs would be horrified that we were hating on each other like this.

PS I just need to add that I really can't work out where you are coming from Guardienne? Are you pro or con LDH because you keep coming across to me as for both sides and it is a little confusing. I'd feel better if I knew where you were located and what position you were coming from, ie whether your personal experiences were positive or negative with LDH. You have put up some great suggestions too.

Edited by Little Gifts

:laugh: oh dear. Yeah, so I have to reply to this.

Not once did I say I am anti rescue, if you knew anything about me you'd know this couldn't be further from the truth.

Not once did I say all rescuers are nutters, I was referring to one example only. Are you saying there are no people in rescue who don't do things properly?

I made a throw away comment, I could have said overzealous, would that have been more acceptable?

Let's just say that's what I meant.

On with the discussion...

Guardienne seems to have a thing for LDH - pops up in every thread about them... definitely "con" LG...

And dogmad - I have not denigrated ANY Victorian rescues that have managed to build any form of working relationship with the LDH in Victoria - more power to them I say!

I'm happy to denigrate any rescues that cause any steps backwards with regards to rescue having any kind of working relationship with LDH in any state...

Seriously woman - you should know me a bit better than that by now... *grin*

T.

Little gifts not sure where the confusion comes from - my apologies. I have offered suggestions on how to deal with councils as we have had to in Victoria and sorry I got sidetracked defending the great rescuers in Victoria who used to deal with the Lost Dogs Home that both T and Aussie 3 have labelled as overzealous or nutters. My apologies but wanted to set the record straight that the LDH did not shut their doors to rescuers in Victoria because of nutters or overzealous rescuers. There were good, decent honest people who have gone on to be awarded Victorian organization of the year others heading Dog Rescue Association Victoria etc. Rescuers that have gone on to have great relationships with other councils, pounds and shelters.

Anyhoo, hope my suggestions are useful. They have worked in some area's here. But unfortunately in Victoria there are 16 or so councils that contract to the lost dogs home, it's not quite as straight forward. But you are in a position where you have just once council to convince, if you can get your community behind it, you may just be able to do it :) Especially if you can build a good report with your council and not go in with guns blazing :)

Edited by Guardienne

Little Gifts, a bit off topic but I want to agree with your posts. Rescue should be the third arm of animal welfare not used by shelters to lower their kill rates. There will always be appropriate cases to go to rescue, or community fostercare networks as called in Victoria, but the super pounds should not be able to use that as a way to avoid their responsiblity to act as a shelter, that is a rehoming and rehabilitating institution. People do not donate money to them to offload their responsibilities - if they choose to do that they should pay all vetwork and ensuing costs.

Well regardless of issues with Victorian LDH and various other issues with rescue down there I am interested in the situation in the Brisbane pounds. I can at least encourage those I know in Brisbane to enquire through their local Councillor about what the Contract with LDH specified - if anything - regarding expectations around rehoming etc.

Thanks Guardienne! I think because your location doesn't show up I couldn't work out how you fitted into the whole picture. Knowing your experiences are Vic based helps me understand your perspective!

And thank you VicDRG - third arm rather than the picker up of pieces across the board - YES! There is a place and purpose for all of us at present.