Petition - Ldh Brisbane

http://www.change.org/en-AU/petitions/the-lost-dogs-home-stop-murdering-our-brisbane-pets-and-start-working-with-rescue-groups?share_id=hXUICbTzOF&utm_campaign=autopublish&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition

The Brisbane Lost Dogs Home has been approached by numerous rescue groups who are desperate to help the animals who end up at the Lost Dogs Home facilities in Brisbane. The Lost Dogs Home refuses to work with rescue groups and continues to kill healthy pets.

Please sign this petition to let the Lost Dogs Home know the public will no longer put up with this unnecessary killing.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I truly empathise with the intentions of this petition the first thing that sprang to my mind is ...................

wouldn't it be great if "the public will no longer put up with this unnecessary DUMPING! " :mad

Well I have signed - its just not good enough for them to take the easy way out and not make any effort to rehome these animals. Of course they shouldn't be "dumped" but the point of the petition is to get some rescue going in Brisbane as happens in other areas. I don't think people in Brisbane even know where the Pounds are located so the chances that many people would go there to adopt is remote and since the RSPCA moved right out of town it has become even harder for people to view available dogs. I hope something can be done and I support any effort to highlight the current unsatisfactory situation.

. I don't think people in Brisbane even know where the Pounds are located so the chances that many people would go there to adopt is remote and since the RSPCA moved right out of town it has become even harder for people to view available dogs.

The contract for the 2 Brisbane City Council Pounds was awarded to Lost Dogs' Home, whose administrative headquarters are in Melbourne. I don't know who else applied. Saddest thing that could've happened.

Those 2 Pounds, one north & one south, have operated for many years. But I agree with you, many Brisbane people wouldn't know where they are. The info, tho', is on the Net.

I think, when the Pounds were under BCC operation, there was some cooperation with rescue. (Our rescue cat was an ex-Brisbane Pound inmate, taken out by a UQ for their research/adoption program). Seems it's not the policy of LDH, tho',

This petition is about the Brisbane pounds run by LDH. The RSPCA here in Brisbane works with rescue groups. They just helped present an Adoption Day where 30 rescue groups took part.

It's not Melbourne & whatever history goes with it (tho' get your point, Aussie). The LDH needs to adapt to a different context & history. Brisbane rate-payers would expect that.

I just did a Search from the Brisbane Council site where they say the LDH is running their 2 Pounds. One Pound said no animals for adoption. The other a couple of cats & a few dogs.

Yet Brisbane Council, in terms of area & population covered, is one of the largest LGAs in Australia (no break-down into area councils). First one with a population over 1 million.

Edited by mita

This petition is about the Brisbane pounds run by LDH. The RSPCA here in Brisbane works with rescue groups. They just helped present an Adoption Day where 30 rescue groups took part.

It's not Melbourne & whatever history goes with it (tho' get your point, Aussie). The LDH needs to adapt to a different context & history. Brisbane rate-payers would expect that.

I just did a Search from the Brisbane Council site where they say the LDH is running their 2 Pounds. One Pound said no animals for adoption. The other a couple of cats & a few dogs.

Yet Brisbane Council, in terms of area & population covered, is one of the largest LGAs in Australia (no break-down into area councils). First one with a population over 1 million.

Well that would seem to confirm the basis for this petition. It beggars belief that there are so few put up for adoption. Providing a service to the people of Brisbane does not mean just killing off the strays and surrendered pets :mad

and while LDH are destroying strays by the thousand QLD have a booming puppy farm industry. :mad

I don't have any detailed information on what LDH is doing in Brisbane.

All I know is that some rescue groups have started a petition asking that a policy of not releasing to rescue be changed.

And current 'snap' adoption-available figures taken from their own website seem curiously small given the council area population is above 1 million.

My response will be to go to those responsible for awarding the contract... the Brisbane City Council.

I'll speak with our local councillor & also the councillor who chairs their animal management committee.

As ratepayers, we have a responsibility & a right to get information and make comment. We pay for that contract.

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/about-council/governance-strategy/councillors-wards/

Pointing out (apart from the facts above):

1. there's been history of (at least some) healthy & rehomeable animals being released to rescue from Brisbane Council pounds.

2. UQ research concluded that it could be in a Council's economic interests to focus on rehoming, as there's costs in putting healthy/rehomeable animals to sleep ... both money & human mental well-being.

3. there's viable rescue groups who have offered to contribute to that rehoming, thereby reducing those costs.

4. viability of responsible rescue groups in SE Qld has been recognized by RSPCA Qld, who now host Adoption Days including them.

5 we already have a respected role model in SE Qld. AWL Qld contractually works with both the Gold Coast & Ipswich Councils in increasing rehoming of healthy/rehomeable dogs & cats. Both are huge population areas, too.

Edited by mita

and while LDH are destroying strays by the thousand QLD have a booming puppy farm industry. :mad

All I know is that some rescue groups have started a petition asking that a policy of not releasing to rescue be changed.

And current 'snap' adoption-available figures taken from their own website seem curiously small given the council area population is above 1 million.

My response will be to go to those responsible for awarding the contract... the Brisbane City Council.

I'll speak with our local councillor & also the councillor who chairs their animal management committee.

As ratepayers, we have a responsibility & a right to get information and make comment. We pay for that contract.

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/about-council/governance-strategy/councillors-wards/

1. there's been history of (at least some) healthy & rehomeable animals being released to rescue from Brisbane Council pounds.

2. UQ research concluded that it could be in a Council's economic interests to focus on rehoming, as there's costs in putting healthy/rehomeable animals to sleep ... both money & human mental well-being.

3. there's viable rescue groups who have offered to contribute to that rehoming, thereby reducing those costs.

4. viability of responsible rescue groups in SE Qld has been recognized by RSPCA Qld, who now host Adoption Days including them.

5 we already have a respected role model in SE Qld. AWL Qld contractually works with both the Gold Coast & Ipswich Councils in increasing rehoming of healthy/rehomeable dogs & cats. Both are huge population areas, too.

I think that is a good approach Mita. I would be very interested about the performance criteria under which the contract was awarded to LDH and the method and expected outcomes that BCC uses to assess their performance. It is a pity LDH were awarded the contract above AWL.

There is a link here to LDH statistics obtained under a FOI request. I have no affiliation or involvement with this group, it just popped up in my feed and I thought you might be interested given the topic of the thread.

LDH Statistics

Interesting that the LDH rep denied the stats - even though they were obtained under an FOI request. The figures are disgraceful :mad

I thought you might be interested given the topic of the thread.

Coogie, interesting comments from variety of people at the bottom, too. Some say they've had direct experience as rescuers & one good soul actually phoned the LDH director to ask for comment on the numbers.

Pleased that some urged people to contact Brisbane City Council & their councillors, as they are responsible for awarding/reviewing the contract.

Rosetta, I agree, interesting to see the performance requirements in that contract. Like, if factors relating to saving at least some healthy rehomeable pets were actually written in. And if there was any community consultation prior to calling for tenders. BTW One of the comments claimed that the AWL Qld had also tendered but lost out to LDH. You're right AWL Qld has an excellent reputation.

Edited by mita

I thought you might be interested given the topic of the thread.

Coogie, interesting comments from variety of people at the bottom, too. Some say they've had direct experience as rescuers & one good soul actually phoned the LDH director to ask for comment on the numbers.

Pleased that some urged people to contact Brisbane City Council & their councillors, as they are responsible for awarding/reviewing the contract.

Rosetta, I agree, interesting to see the performance requirements in that contract. Like, if factors relating to saving at least some healthy rehomeable pets were actually written in. And if there was any community consultation prior to calling for tenders. BTW One of the comments claimed that the AWL Qld had also tendered but lost out to LDH. You're right AWL Qld has an excellent reputation.

Its almost like the animals are considered "vermin" that have to be exterminated. :(

There are a couple (at least) of rescues working quietly in the background to move things on. Sadly when most organisations are attacked in the media constantly they shut down and block all rescues, ethical or not. I really struggle with this one as the figures really are a disgrace but treading softly , keeping a dialogue going, and gentle persistence seems at this time to be the way to go. At least for now. Many in rescue in Brisbane are very aware of what is going on. I certainly hope things will improve and very soon.

3. there's viable rescue groups who have offered to contribute to that rehoming, thereby reducing those costs.4. viability of responsible rescue groups in SE Qld has been recognized by RSPCA Qld, who now host Adoption Days including them.

This totally shits me. Rescue groups don't have an income of rates, application fees and fines. Rescue don't have a huge physical and HR infrastructure to draw upon. They don't have numerous figure heads (councillors) to advocate on their behalf, they don't have a captive audience (rate payers and residents and pardon the pun) and pathways (newsletter and rates notices) to sharing information regularly to that audience and they certainly don't attract local media attention as easily. So why does BCC get to fob off their responsibilities to a contractor who then doesn't meet expectations so it falls down to little old rescue again? It is not good enough! Especially for a council of it's size and age. They spend millions on footbridges over rivers and questionable art work on the streets (and their own buildings). But independent rescue has to step in and offer them their precious resources so healthy, rehomeable dogs can be saved? Am I the only one who thinks this is ludicrous? I'd be interested in seeing what grants they have provided to local rescue groups this financial year. I bet the figure is awfully low.

And while I'm having a moan about the South East Qld area I'd like to say this. We have the highest population growth in the country, year in and year out. We have 10 councils. Each of those councils (I am assuming) would have animal management services and possibly one or more pounds. On top of that we have huge RSPCA and AWL facilities and they are very well known brand names. But as evidenced by the RSPCA Adopt Out, we also have at least 30 independent rescue groups operating in the area. I'd say even more as I know BFR (who have like 12,000 likers on FB) were not there. What is wrong with this picture? In anyone's terms you would think we were over serviced. Animal Management is not the responsibility of independent rescue groups yet here we all are picking up the pieces! How much money is being used inappropriately on this issue, whether it be a local authority who does not fund it adequately, a large entity who seems to be raking in the money with public sympathy but making little impact on the lives of animals in need or contractors like LDH who swallow up animals whole?

Rant over.