Puppy Enquiry Replies

Missymoo

I direct people to my web page for info ask them to research the breed and if interested fill in a Puppy Questionaire, if people cant be bothered doing these basics, then they sure as hell are not having one of my dogs! It sifts the wheat from the chaff I have found .

Does anyone else get really sick of replying with lots of information and never hearing back at all...

One of my pet peeve..a simple, thank you for your time would be lovely... :o

Nah, gets easier after the first 20 years :rofl:

I copy and paste a standard reply - says where I am, how much the pups are, any other relevant information. I ask them to contact me if they are interested. That gets rid of the ones who only want to look at photos, or other breeders who like to know stuff.

I don't have a website, or a puppy questionaire

There are always going to be tyre kickers. That's how it is.

Edited to say - because I forgot before

I also think a lot of would be buyers are scared to jump in, because they have heard bad things about breeders, so they skate around the edge for a while. Others are thinking, thinking.

Having a standard letter which you don't have to type every single time helps too.

Edited by Jed

No.

If they are really interested they will reply.

Sometimes I give lots of info about the breed to people who aren't buying a pup from me.

One person emailed about 5 times asking questions who had recently got a pup from interstate. When I said why not ask the breeder they said they did & breeder didn't respond helpfully. Mostly was about grooming & training for it. One to ask about leaving pup alone.

Didn't mind as at least they were bothered about it & cared & its all for the good of the dog & the breed in the end.

Not really.

The only one that ever really got to me was a woman who emailed, then called and did everything right until I got another email from her saying she didn't want to wait for a puppy so she got one from a pet store. She also added that she will continue to contact me with questions about how to raise the puppy..... :mad

I haven't replied to her since.

I have received some thank you from people and it's always come as a pleasant surprise

I just received a great email this am, with house photos and a great filled in questionnaire, if you love a breed and want to promote the good aspects I don't think you can ever waste time, a bit will sink in .

Great food for thought! Thanks :)

I think I just invest too much time into each email maybe? Anyway, I am just going to send a standard one now copy n pasted, but with lots of information :)

:thumbsup:

I did get weary of it last time I had a litter Missymoo - until someone pointed out the standard reply thing could be done. I think I was investing so much time and energy into each reply, when I was so busy and physically tired, that the one email then disappear-ers became annoying.

I don't think a generic first reply would be any less courteous and informative.

After doing the rescue I've always found that a phone call is the best way to suss out the new home and explain about the breed so when I get emails from people I ask them to call me to discuss the breed and its suitability for them and then if they don't ring I haven't invested the energy for no purpose. If they do ring I normally get a very good feel for whether or not they're suitable and whether or not they're truly interested.

Most enquiries I get are 'local' so I just arrange to meet up in a neutral place (e.g park or dog show) to suss the person out and answer any queries. If they are happy to meet up and no red flags come up after meeting and seeing how they interact with the dogs we progress with further enquiries from there.

The 'standard reply' really is the way to go. I have a fairly lengthy one that I cut and paste (and adjust as necessary if they say or ask anything specific) and attach a copy of a questionnaire. It doesn't 'look' that generic when you read it but it does make life easier. It covers the basics of the breed good and bad (if you have been researching the breed you will know that....), my breeding plans, basics about a puppy (cost and what that includes - I generally give detalis for a pet puppy on limited register, what that means, and what is 'included' vacc, microchip etc etc etc), information about my waiting list and the attached questionnaire, and inviting them to get in touch with me to talk further etc etc. Sending out a standard reply is fairly easy and quick which is good as only a small number do tend to come back to you. But those that do come back you know are at least a bit more serious and you can then start a more serious vetting process with them and invest more time in them with meetings, phonecalls, more specific emails etc etc