Wanting To Show My Akita

Crablord

I want to enter my Akita in shows but unfortunately he came with limited breed papers, of which I've not signed yet.

How can I get main pedigree papers? Obviously it's something I'd discuss with the breeder.

I'm asking for breeders advice

Whether or not you have signed the papers, the pup is on the register as being limit already because the papers are limit papers. The only way to reverse this is with the breeder's agreement. So I agree with the others, you will have to talk to the breeder. Did you express an interest in showing when you bought the pup?

Like the others said, you need to go back to your breeder and tell them you want to show your dog.

I've had a dog moved from limit to main after speaking with the breeder, so it's possible they will say yes but at the same time they could have put the pup on limit for a good reason.

You might be able to have your dog put on the neuter mains and show them that way.

Like the others said, you need to go back to your breeder and tell them you want to show your dog.

I've had a dog moved from limit to main after speaking with the breeder, so it's possible they will say yes but at the same time they could have put the pup on limit for a good reason.

You might be able to have your dog put on the neuter mains and show them that way.

Just to clarify above info more... to have a dog registered as a Neuter, it still has to go on Mains Register first, there is only one Mains Register, not a separate Mains for Neuter. So still via the breeder. The adjustment to Mains Neuter comes once mains has been achieved, via additional application, but perhaps they can be done at the same time??

However, if Bjelkier means that the breeder may be more likely to allow the dog to be shown as a neuter than an entire and if so she may allow the upgrade to Mains, then yes that is possible.

That said, the criteria/Breed Standard for showing a dog is the same for a neuter as it is for an entire, except for the testicles on the males.

Edited by dyzney

Just to clarify above info more... to have a dog registered as a Neuter, it still has to go on Mains Register first, there is only one Mains Register, not a separate Mains for Neuter. So still via the breeder. The adjustment to Mains Neuter comes once mains has been achieved, via additional application, but perhaps they can be done at the same time??

However, if Bjelkier means that the breeder may be more likely to allow the dog to be shown as a neuter than an entire and if so she may allow the upgrade to Mains, then yes that is possible.

That said, the criteria/Breed Standard for showing a dog is the same for a neuter as it is for an entire, except for the testicles on the males.

Yes that's what I was getting at ;)

Two things how old is the dog ? It must be transfered over before 24 months to ransfer it requires your signiture and the breeders the forms are avalible dor your states canine body

And second is your dog show quality ? Does it meet the breed standard how does it match up to current showing akitas ?

IMO Akitas are quite a competitive breed to show. A good Akita is a sight like no other, and my gosh can they move!!! :love: But if you didn't specify your desire to show when you first got your pup then it's highly likely you received a "pet only" pup - absolutely nothing wrong with him in terms of being a dog, but he may not have the ideal conformation for showing.

I've spoken to the breeder. Main reason that he's limited is because she does not want me to breed him with others, I guess taking her buisness.

I expressed my desire to show him and the breeder has asked to see all sides of the dog and a movement vid, I think is reasonable.

He's 5 months old today actually. He stand 55cm and is 26kg.

Sometimes a breeder doesn't want a particular dog bred for good reasons not because they don't want you to muscle in on their business. Unfortunately for Akitas they are starting to show up in pounds and rescue groups and there are a few backyard breeders cropping up hence maybe the desire to not want your particular dog bred.

Also which type of Akita do you own?

--Lhok

I've spoken to the breeder. Main reason that he's limited is because she does not want me to breed him with others, I guess taking her buisness.

I expressed my desire to show him and the breeder has asked to see all sides of the dog and a movement vid, I think is reasonable.

you can offer to sign a non breeding contract which basically means if you do breed the pups cant be registered so no registered breeder will breed with him

or you can neuter and show in neuter classes

Out of curiosity, if males are sterilised with a vasectomy and have the appearance of being entire: which class do they go in?

I guess it's the same as regular desexed animal ie neuter? How do the judges know the difference?

Edited by Powerlegs

That sounds promising - if he is up to standard perhaps ask her to mentor you.

Head on over to the akita thread and show us some pics too!

Edited by dwynwen

Out of curiosity, if males are sterilised with a vasectomy and have the appearance of being entire: which class do they go in?

I guess it's the same as regular desexed animal ie neuter? How do the judges know the difference?

1. It is agaimst the rules to show a surgically altered dog

2 an honest exhibiter would tell them and omly enter as appropriate. Judges cant tell if a bitch is altered either.

It is not about muscling into her business, it is not a business to an ethical breeder.

They want to try and stop people producing puppies for profit without thought for soundness of mind or body, or those who will sell an Akita to the first person to turn up with the cash.

If your breeder does decide your pup is of quality and upgrades him then that is quite an honour that she trusts you to do the right thing- honour that. The dog world is a small one.

If your pup does get upgraded I hope you enjoy showing him