Adopting A Greyhound

icebergblitz

Hi guys!

Long time lurker, may have posted once or twice a few years ago. Just after some general advice and also to hopefully meet some new folks.

So, the story goes that my partner and I have recently had discussions about moving to regional Victoria next year (currently live in St Kilda), most likely Bendigo. The company she works for has a branch in Gisborne so it would be pretty much perfect for her. I have a hospitality background and have already fielded a few job offers up there but its a bit too early just yet. I'm a country girl from way back, my time in the city is done and she's up for a tree change so its all looking pretty good so far, looking like we even have a house lined up to move in to.

We've been discussing the possibility of getting a dog for the last couple of months. She's highly allergic to cats, but hardly bats an eyelid with dogs, so thats a plus. She hasn't been around dogs much but we've been spending a bit of time with our friends staffy lately and she's told me that's really endearing her towards getting a dog. The other night we were looking through photos and she said to me, I know you love greyhounds so why don't we look into getting one once we move?

I used to be a greyhound catcher many years ago for a South Australian based trainer so I talk about my love of the breed a LOT! One particular fawn bitch Poppy used to let me climb into her kennel bed and would lie with her head on my lap after I came home from a difficult day at high school, and it honestly made life just that bit better. She loves that story, and also the stories about me helping the same bitch during the whelping of her two litters.

Of course this is all just preliminary for now, we've still got a bit of a way to go, but she's definitely leaning towards it. We've started doing our research to make sure having a grey would fit in with our lifestyle, I've told her about them always needing to be on a leash and explained why, I've explained about the fact they have thinner skin than other dogs but have also told her how loveable they are and how they'd fit in with us because they like to lie around the house and so do we ;)

I would love to introduce her to some greys so she's more familiar and comfortable with the breed, but not sure how to go about it?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds good :)

I suggest you peruse this site ..and go from there :)

G A P , victoria

excerpt :

The Greyhound Adoption Program, or GAP, is an initiative of Greyhound Racing Victoria dedicated to finding homes for greyhounds that are no longer suitable for racing.

Greyhounds can make fantastic pets – they are quiet, lazy and gentle dogs that thrive in the family home environment. Greyhounds that have passed through our program and have been awarded a special green GAP collar, do not have to be muzzled in public.

Every dog that enters the program is thoroughly temperament tested, desexed, wormed, microchipped, and vaccinated. They then spend time with a volunteer foster carer to help them adjust from life in a kennel, to life in a pet home. Our foster carers aim to expose their charges to a variety of situations the greyhound is likely to encounter once it becomes a pet, work on basic manners and get the greyhound used to the type of routine that is normal for a family home. It is only after this that they are made available for adoption.

It is one of our main goals to change the negative image so many people have of greyhounds, and through a more positive reputation, hope to increase the public’s desire to care for these wonderful dogs after their racing careers have finished. To assist with this, GAP volunteers attend many events during the year spreading the word and dispelling common myths.

I would strongly advise against it.

I know how it starts. Just one grey, easy, loveable, gorgeous. Next thing you know you've got multiple hounds with associated impressive collar collection, coats for every climate variation. You can no longer get on the couch without a 30kg lap dog appearing, bend over without being goosed or go to the toilet without polite offers of assistance or supervision. Your bed is no longer your own.

And the worst thing of all? You accept all of the above as normal and even desirable.

No. Run away now. It's too late for the rest of us,but you can save yourself.

I know how it starts. Just one grey, easy, loveable, gorgeous. Next thing you know you've got multiple hounds with associated impressive collar collection, coats for every climate variation. You can no longer get on the couch without a 30kg lap dog appearing, bend over without being goosed or go to the toilet without polite offers of assistance or supervision. Your bed is no longer your own.

And the worst thing of all? You accept all of the above as normal and even desirable.

:rofl: yep greyhound addiction...there's no going back.

:laugh: I think thats exactly what I'm headed for!

Was just making a cuppa and thought how nice it would be to have a grey leaning against my legs like they enjoy doing. And as for fostering...I think it would be safe to say that they'd all end up as foster failures, I couldn't bear to part with any of them!! My poor wallet is having conniptions as we speak :D

Something I would say is that you should make a list of things which are non-negotiable vs desirable and be clear about which is which. I speak to people about greyhound adoption regularly, and they often say that they need or will be getting a small girl, blue or fawn (or whatever). When I ask why, they say because it will be easier. I point to my smallest girl and tell them she's the most difficult dog I own.

So, non-negotiables, for me, are personality and the needs of you and your already existing pets (if you have any). So things like:

• cat-friendly
  • small animal friendly (if you have fluffy pets)
  • small dog friendly
  • child friendly
  • non-resource guarding
  • sleep startle?
    • general temperament

Some of these might be necessary for you. Others aren't - for me, none were necessary until number three, at which point I specified low-prey drive. I already owned one high prey and one enthusiastic follower. I didn't need a third! The rest I can work with, including resource guarding and sleep startle.

Other things you might want to think about:

• high-energy vs low-energy
  • special needs - pre-existing injuries or medical conditions such as pannus, arthritis, broken hock, having given birth, amputation etc (these dogs can be fantastic, but may need more medical care first off, though there are no guarantees that you won't get an accident prone dog anyhow)
  • sex - this shouldn't be a non-negotiable unless, for instance, you have a bitch who only gets along with dogs or whatever - we specified our third as male because we already had two girls and didn't want to risk upsetting that balance

The negotiables and things you need to remain open about are:

• sex
  • colour
  • raced vs unraced

It is amazing how many people seem to reverse the importance of these lists. Temperament is number one. But what a perfect temperament is in one person is not right for another. Think carefully about what you want there! But don't go in wanting a small female who never raced, of about 2 years old, who is fawn or blue with a white chest and three white paws, weighing no more than 27 kgs, with a delicate face, ears that both stand erect. Because your perfect dog might be the 39kg black male with a roman nose who is a dreamboat to walk, who snuggles well and who raced 100 times so prefers a life of leisure. Don't be fooled by first impressions - the greys tend to blossom slowly. The one that took longest to come out of her shell has been my most rewarding dog.

I couldn't agree more Brandiandwe. When I used to foster, my favourite (not that I had favourites of course...! :o) was a plain black boy. He was in woeful skinny condition when he arrived, with ulcered sores from the wet concrete in the pound. He certainly was not the prettiest...

He was also the most aloof greyhound I had met. For most of his two week quarantine he didn't even make eye contact with me. I might as well have been on a different planet. He would even walk on a lead or be patted - but not really acknowledge anyone. I would take his food into the run and put it down, then just sit awhile - just being in his company. He would eat and go and lie on his bed and sleep.

On day 10 I opened the gate and he launched into my arms and nearly knocked me over. He was the most devoted and loving dog of all of my fosters. Absolutely lovely.

They are all individuals and I have had low to high energy ones. One girl ran all day like a kelpie with a squeaky toy in her mouth - waiting for someone to throw it. Completely tireless! Some you couldn't get off their beds!

Some that were not remotely small dog or cat safe, and some that were. One beautiful black and white boy who went to live with two elderly disabled pugs and was such a gentleman.

But yes, people can easily be swayed by colour etc. Personality means so much more.

I couldn't agree more Brandiandwe. When I used to foster, my favourite (not that I had favourites of course...! :o) was a plain black boy. He was in woeful skinny condition when he arrived, with ulcered sores from the wet concrete in the pound. He certainly was not the prettiest...

He was also the most aloof greyhound I had met. For most of his two week quarantine he didn't even make eye contact with me. I might as well have been on a different planet. He would even walk on a lead or be patted - but not really acknowledge anyone. I would take his food into the run and put it down, then just sit awhile - just being in his company. He would eat and go and lie on his bed and sleep.

On day 10 I opened the gate and he launched into my arms and nearly knocked me over. He was the most devoted and loving dog of all of my fosters. Absolutely lovely.

They are all individuals and I have had low to high energy ones. One girl ran all day like a kelpie with a squeaky toy in her mouth - waiting for someone to throw it. Completely tireless! Some you couldn't get off their beds!

Some that were not remotely small dog or cat safe, and some that were. One beautiful black and white boy who went to live with two elderly disabled pugs and was such a gentleman.

But yes, people can easily be swayed by colour etc. Personality means so much more.

Paige was the same. For three weeks she was like a zombie except when she saw another dog. Then, from a distance of about 250 metres she would fixate, froth at the mouth and give out that blood chilling whine. Then we'd get her home and, nothing. I spent time after every walk sitting in the garage with her, stroking her and telling her she was beautiful. But nothing. Then, the night I was ready to give up, I just sat there, looking at her and thought 'I can't do this.'. She looked back at me, came over and climbed up onto the couch beside me like she had the weight of the world on her shoulders - she looked like an old dog. She curled up beside me, rested her head on me, and I felt her sigh and relax. And realised that for three weeks she had only just been keeping it together, but that she'd finally decided to trust me. It took her 4 more months before she'd do that with DH, and 12 months before she'd approach him for cuddles when he was standing up, 18 months before she'd come when he called. She is my heart dog in a way that the others can never be. And I am her whole world.

The truly weird thing is that I know her trainer, who has stayed in touch and loves getting updates. I think PK was just a very quiet dog in the kennels who was no trouble. She also loves routine, and is easy to handle in every way. But with us, her real personality came out. She is now the dog who will race through the house with a pair of dirty undies on her head when we've got company. :laugh:

The minimum requirement for any reputable greyhound rescue is it MUST be small dog friendly that's why I recommended GAP.

Black greyhounds are always the last to be adopted sadly. I did some greyhound cat testing at our local RSPCA on Saturday and out of the three of them the plain little black boy was not only cat friendly but bunnies, chooks you name it. When he spotted the goat that just about made him dig himself a hole and hide! Yet this gorgeous boy has been there for months :(

If I didn't have the beady eyed assasin, the butter wouldn't melt in my mouth Maddie, that boy would be on my lounge right now.

Edited by stans mum