Adopting A Greyhound

icebergblitz

My Lilly has the sweetest most gorgeous personality (and my husband adores her) and she is black. She is the ultimate happy dog - you only have to say her name and her tail wags - but when we go out, people either gravitate to our greyhound boy (he is blue and white - and is very relaxed and quiet) or the little iggy. Poor Lilly doesn't get the love.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Lilly has the sweetest most gorgeous personality (and my husband adores her) and she is black. She is the ultimate happy dog - you only have to say her name and her tail wags - but when we go out, people either gravitate to our greyhound boy (he is blue and white - and is very relaxed and quiet) or the little iggy. Poor Lilly doesn't get the love.

I get the same CBL. Maddie just loves people, especially kids and her little tail wags madly but people gravitate to the big blue "love sponge" Stan. The first thing they always say is " oh wow isn't he a beautiful colour" meanwhile Maddie just sticks her head under Stan like an ostrich, she doesn't get the love either :(

Alyosha I think the blacks are gorgeous too, to me they look so regal. I love a black shiny coat but I think because they go so grey in the muzzle quite young it puts people off.

Edited by stans mum

Thanks so much for that Brandiandwe! All excellent info and something I'll keep on hand when we get around to looking for our perfect pooch.

For me temperament is always number one on my list, I've worked with horses in the past and it has always been my first priority. We have no kids, no other animals (and wont be getting any more). We'll certainly give full consideration to a special needs dog if it has the right temperament and personality!

Age, sex, colour etc isn't a big deal. I mean ideally I'd LOVE a big black boofhead boy who thinks he's a lapdog at 30kgs but I'm not going to stamp my foot and say thats the only dog I'll consider...as long as the temperament is right and their personality is right then they'll have a forever home with us!

(Last night we even had the 'if we ever break up, I get the dog' conversation...she told me it was never in any doubt I'd take the dog haha)

Just been doing some reading on bloat as I've heard that greys can be susceptible. I've read about it happening with Great Danes but never heard about it until now, even when I was working with greys some years ago I never heard about or saw it, so I thought I'd try and find out some more from you guys...

I've read that feeding them on a slightly raised surface (ie bowl on top of a crate) helps, is this a done thing? And also not exercising 1 - 2 hours before or after feeding?

I'd assume GAP would inform me if the dog I was going to adopt is a speedy eater (can increase the risk of bloat, is that right?) and I obviously would take steps to slow the dog down. I'd put it on a 'questions to ask about the potential furbaby' list anyway.

Any other info would be greatly appreciated! You guys have been so helpful already, sorry about all the questions I just want to make sure I'm covering as much as I can :)

Honestly, I think the bloat risk in greyhounds is sometimes seriously overstated. A bit of common sense in management doesn't hurt though- no zoomies before or after meals, avoid cheap, crappy kibbles (which is a good idea generally) and educate yourself as to what to look for in the event it ever does happen.

I've fostered many greyhounds (and have three of my own) and have never had any bloat. I'd also second getting a greyhound from a reputable rescue like GAP Vic or GSN. There are many dodgy groups out there (some are very big and at first glance seem ethical) and it's just not worth the potential heartbreak.

I think it's also important to be very clear about what you're looking for and to communicate that to whichever group you choose. Getting the right match can be the difference between getting a dog that you can live with and getting a dog who completes your family.

Good luck and welcome to life as a crazy greyhound person :D

I mean ideally I'd LOVE a big black boofhead boy who thinks he's a lapdog at 30kgs

You might be in luck there. As noted above, many people shy away from black dogs (no idea why, I'll always have at least one), and big boys also intimidate people. So a big, black boy is a much better bet than a blue or blue brindle girl. :-)

Edited to add, on the GAP Victoria website now are big black boys:

Matt, Paddy and Adam (who are seniors, would be divine but not with you for as long, so maybe get one of those And a younger one?)

Banjo (who already has a home)

Bob

Todd

Steve

Jerry

Fireman

Taz

Diesel

Cape

William

Chow

Johnny

All of the above a black boys and were on the first two pages of available dogs.

Edited by Brandiandwe

I'll disagree with Maddy and say bloat is a real worry in greyhounds, though I too have never had one get it nor any of my German Shepherds when I had them. I do know of several show bred greyhounds that have had bloat and some have died. Any deep chested dog is at risk. Feeding out of a raised bowl used to be in, then it was out, now I think the feeling is it makes no difference. However I feed my raised only cause it's a long way down for them. I had a speed eater and used a slow go bowl for him which worked very well. No enforced exercise before or after a meal, feed them twice daily and step in if they decide, as mine often do, that a nice game right after eating is a good idea. Read up on Pannus and Thyroid problems. Both fairly common in race bred greys, easily controlled, and shouldn't put you off a dog that is suitable for you in every other way.

Show bred greyhounds do have deeper chests though. I don't think you can really compare the two types because there's so much difference in build. I'm sure some people disagree that those differences exist but one is a working dog, with build being a very minor consideration in breeding.

Here's a short video Icebergblitz to show you the different greyhound poses :laugh: As a greyhound owner you will experience these, especially the last one called in the video the "do not disturb" but commonly known as the "roach" :thumbsup: