Omega 3 Supplement Recommendations

giraffez

Is there a good omega 3 supplement or product that is recommendable for my dog. Every summer he starts to get itchy skin, winter is fine. His kibbles is already fish based and he gets sardines from the can a couple of times a week.

Edited by giraffez

Cold pressed coconut oil is good for the skin. Not Omega 3, but is Omega 6 & can be used externally or given on their food. Livamol is a good supplement for Omega 3 & is obtainable from your produce shop. My guys get a tablespoon of Livamol a day & they have great skin & hair even though they are swimming every day in the family pool, which I don't rinse out :)

Guest Maeby Fünke

I use Melrose Organic Flaxseed Oil. I buy mine at the health food shop and it's usually about $22 to $23.

http://www.melrosehealth.com.au/health_products/Heart_Joint_Skin_Arthritis/Melrose-Organic-Flaxseed-Oil-250ml.aspx

My Pug has 1/4 cup over ten days. 1/4 cup is 125ml so that's 125ml divided by 10, which is 12.5 ml.

So he has 2 and a 1/2 teaspoons a day.

Natural animal solutions have an omega oil supplement that has omega 3,6,9 in it. I've been giving it to my itchy mini since winter and he's definitely been better this spring.

It stinks of fishy goodness though - also it needs to be kept in the fridge. But one squirt in his dinner is all he gets so no fussing around...

Thanks all

Natural animal solutions have an omega oil supplement that has omega 3,6,9 in it. I've been giving it to my itchy mini since winter and he's definitely been better this spring.

It stinks of fishy goodness though - also it needs to be kept in the fridge. But one squirt in his dinner is all he gets so no fussing around...

Mackiemad, is this what you are referring to? http://www.naturalanimalsolutions.com.au/omega-oils.html Where do you get yours?

I also read that when giving omega, you should also balance it with vitamin e? Is this correct? If so, where do I get vitamin E?

My dog is currently on the fish protein kibbles. If i add these, will it be over the top?

Are the human fish oil and flax seed suitable for dogs?

I've been giving my guys flaxseed oil. Results have been great! They get 1ml per every 2kg

My link

Looks like a lot of benefits with this one. but there is a note that dogs with Pancreatitis should not be given this. My dogs have never had Pancreatitis however, the breed is prone to this. Should this be avoided?

Edited by giraffez

Thanks all

Mackiemad, is this what you are referring to? http://www.naturalanimalsolutions.com.au/omega-oils.html Where do you get yours?

I also read that when giving omega, you should also balance it with vitamin e? Is this correct? If so, where do I get vitamin E?

My dog is currently on the fish protein kibbles. If i add these, will it be over the top?

I've been giving my guys flaxseed oil. Results have been great! They get 1ml per every 2kg

My link

Looks like a lot of benefits with this one. but there is a note that dogs with Pancreatitis should not be given this. My dogs have never had Pancreatitis however, the breed is prone to this. Should this be avoided?

The Natural Animal Solutions oil blend also contains vitamin E. I've been giving one of my dogs their oil, high potency vitamin C and Digestavite and her coat has never looked better. She was on other supplements before this and is on a raw diet so her coat was pretty good to start with.

Thanks all

My link

Maybe send them an email and ask? I'd think it would be ok if your dogs do not have it but again I'd ask.

Same here. I have been using this product for a while now & my guys coats have never looked better. They are big salt water lovers so that can damage their coats

very quickly if not rinsed out asap after each swim. I find this is very easy to use, just a few squirts in their evening meal. They love the taste too. I also make

my own Barf diet which includes a fair amount of sardines/eggs which I believe also helps. A good coat comes primarily from within I believe :)

If he has a grass allergy or an allergy to his food then omega 3 won't help him because a lack of omega 3 isn't the issue. It may help relieve things a bit but isn't the cure. BTW, dogs need the right balance of omega 3, 6 and 9, not just 3 by itself. It is important to get the balance right as too much 6, for example, can actually cause inflammation. I'd get something specifically formatted for dogs . I know lots of people using the nimsl naturals and they swear by it. The maker is nice and I'm sure you can email her any questions. With pancreatitis, the warning is there because it is high in fat / that applies to all omega 3 sources though, so best to introduce slowly.

ok thank you. I don't know whether its grass allergy because it only happens during the spring/summer.

I remember reading a thread around feeding omega 3 without vitamin E. An owner was saying it caused his dog serious problems and had to be admitted to emergency. I can't find the thread any more to re read it. Anyone know which one I"m referring to.