I've Had An Anonymous Barking Complaint At The New House-sit...

westiemum

Thanks everyone for your kind suggestions and responses. Not a peep out of anyone (the westies) since I came home last night - but the schnauzers across the road are going nuts.

I wonder if the schnauzer owners across the road also got a note in their letter-box.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK - been a busy afternoon! First the vet - although I prefer not to, I've had Andy vaccinated so if I need to try doggy day care I can, easily and quickly. I've driven past the doggy day care place this afternoon - looks good and recommended by a friend who knows people who have been very happy there. The vet believes its anxiety barking connected with the move - and that makes sense. He has prescribed Xanax and recommended a pheromone collar - but said they are in short supply. He doesn't like citronella collars as he believes it can exacerbate anxiety disorders in susceptible dogs - which certainly cuts Andy out.

Does anyone know how effective they are or where you can buy them? (I'll search online but thought people might have some recommendations). I could only get a diffuser today so thats where I've started but that won't work outdoors.

The vet was very complimentary of how I'd handled the neighbours. thumbsup1.gif I'm fairly sure that I spoke to the lady who wrote the note early this afternoon. I've turned her around to the point where she is prepared to be patient and will help me find a solution thumbsup1.gif. She will let me know what times, how often and long Andy is barking and we've agreed we'll talk again in a fortnight - when her daughter washes my car!! (Anything for neighbourhood peace!). I also now understand her problem - she was trying to sleep after working a night shift as a nurse and the sound is funnelling between a couple of high two storey houses into her upstairs windows. So I certainly understand the problem.

Have bought out the pet shop of different toys laugh.gif - not really but I had no idea there were so many different types! Bought a ball thing with a maze inside that you put treats in - its a hit but he gets them out pretty quickly - any suggestions anyone please on how to make the exercise last longer?

Have got some black plastic from Bunnings to cover the lattice which is see through to the see-through gate a few metres away. The backyard at my old house was completely enclosed - they couldn't see out so I'm hoping if I replicate that it might help.

Lastly found some perfect size lamb bones to leave with all three on Monday and the mother is going to spend a couple of hours out of sight gauging the extent of the problem and 'data gathering' for me while I'm at work on Monday

Phew! No wonder I'm tired! Any thing else I should think about or I might have missed?

Thanks so much for your help everyone. thumbsup1.gif

Edited by westiemum

Thanks everyone for your kind suggestions and responses. Not a peep out of anyone (the westies) since I came home last night - but the schnauzers across the road are going nuts.

I wonder if the schnauzer owners across the road also got a note in their letter-box.

Hi Mita,

No I doubt it - they are just that bit further away for the sound to be less intense I think.

ETA although I did meet two more neighbourhood dogs this morning - I think including my guys that brings the immediate neighbourhood dogs to nine!

Edited by westiemum

If by pheromone collars the vet means the DAP collar, you can buy them online from several places and I think Justice's behaviourist (Advance Behavioural Training) sells them but not 100% certain. I know she sells the spray but that only lasts for a couple of hours before you have to re-spray. If you do a Google search on the collar or check eBay you shouldn't have too much trouble finding one. :)

Thanks Snook - the DAP pheromone collars are now called Adaptil according to my googling. I believe they last about a month - so a three pack might be worth it!.

Do these anxiety dogs ever get to the point where they cope with change? Just a thought.

I would like to think that if his anxiety settled at your old place then there is a reasonable chance that you can get there again with a bit of work.

I think you're right KC - and if not then its going to be a very long 8-10 months!

Our guys are always really barky in a new house or when a new neighbour moves in. It usually lasts about a fortnight and they get used to all the new noises etc.

I would bet that the person who complained (if it was her) will be pretty satisfied with how seriously you're taking the problem and might even feel a little petty for writing such a nasty note instead of just talking to you like a normal person :)

Our guys are always really barky in a new house or when a new neighbour moves in. It usually lasts about a fortnight and they get used to all the new noises etc.

I would bet that the person who complained (if it was her) will be pretty satisfied with how seriously you're taking the problem and might even feel a little petty for writing such a nasty note instead of just talking to you like a normal person :)

I think that's true Aussie, people who write anonymous notes are usually afraid of repercussions, or just doing it to be nasty. It's a cowardly way to make a point. They wouldn't want their name coming out.

Hi All,

Something else I've noticed this morning - Andy and Sarah are obsessed with the back left corner of the cordoned area of the courtyard - where there is ivy covered lattice up to the top of a very high back fence. I can't smell anything dead between the lattice and the back fence but that doesn't mean it's not there. And Andy gave the occasionally bark towards the gate but nothing that would upset anyone - I'll put the plastic on the fence this afternoon.

They are really serious about that corner... Thoughts anyone? smile.gif

ETA the house behind the back fence I suspect is rented - haven't been able to raise those neighbours at all so I'm guessing it might be empty... So no opportunity to check out the fence line from the other side frown.gif

Edited by westiemum

Ness you'll keep!!! rofl1.gif

There really isn't anywhere to put a trap but yes I can disturb it - but do I want given Its built-in barking control for Andy - when he's focused on that spot he's not barking! And I'm sure they can't burrow through to anywhere...

Bugger... Wish I'd realised before I bought out the toy shop yesterday!

Edited by westiemum

We have a chicken run on the other side of our fence, so there are a lot of rats and mice, my Shihtzu cross has a great time. She brings me large dead but still warm and twitching rats while I'm hanging the washing out, so proud of herself. She left me one on the back doorstep that I almost stepped on, had to do one of those flying leaps to avoid it. :