Animal Naturopath Recommendations?

Red Fox

Looking for recommendations for a good Animal Naturopath or Holistic Vet experienced in treating Inflammatory Bowel Disease.

SA based would be ideal but I would be just as happy with a phone consult proving they can offer a personalised and ongoing service.

I would prefer someone with a veterinary background if possible, or that is open minded towards using a combination of natural and conventional treatments if needed.

Thanks

Elaine Cebuliak at Animal Wellness clinic here in Brisbane is wonderful. I don't know if she is experienced in that specific disease, but i am am sure she probably has dealt with it. She is extremely knowledgable.

She is a naturopath and holistic vet, but is still also uses conventional medicine.

She may be available for a phone consult, but you would obviously have to book in :)

Elaine Cebuliak at Animal Wellness clinic here in Brisbane is wonderful. I don't know if she is experienced in that specific disease, but i am am sure she probably has dealt with it. She is extremely knowledgable.

She is a naturopath and holistic vet, but is still also uses conventional medicine.

She may be available for a phone consult, but you would obviously have to book in :)

Do you have a link? Or contact details

*eta, is this the one http://www.animalwellness.com.au/about_our-clinic.php ?

There's someone in WA I used years ago ... used them for aged cats .

and there's McDowell Herbal in bathurst . They are always happy to speak by phone ..and I have used their treatments along with prescribed ones. I have used them with cats, dogs, horses and humans :)

that's all I know of, sorry.

Thanks Perse

Edited by RidgieMal

+1 for McDowell, or All Natural Vet Care in Russell Lea (NSW) do phone consults as well.

That's who I have used on several occasions.

I had an Italian Greyhound with IBD for 9 years, it was a hard path - took a year to diagnose and meds were very challenging for some years.

Initially he was put on Cortisone and Hills Ultra ZD diet - I was told that was all he could eat and he hated it. As he'd been a cruelty case, including starvation, it was very difficult. IGs are also food obsessed.

Anyhow, after 2 years of struggling with Cortisone (which turned him into a monster), a new vet tried some old drugs and he finally ended up on Salazapyrin (spelling might be wrong), 3 times a day. He was pretty good on this unless when we were out walking he picked up people's discarded food before I could get to it first.

If he did manage to do that he'd often end up on a drip for a week ....

As for food, over the years I read internet forums and discovered vegetables (esp sweet potato) would add a bit of variety. About once a week i'd add something like tuna to his dinner as that was a different protein and he was good with this.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the links. I will have a read of them over the next few days.

Maybe contact erny? She has a lot of experience with this.

Yes, I was thinking today that she would be one to talk to.

Dogmad, I will PM you tomorrow if you don't mind. I have a few questions that you may be able to help with. smile.gif

Thanks for all the links. I will have a read of them over the next few days.

Maybe contact erny? She has a lot of experience with this.

Yes, I was thinking today that she would be one to talk to.

Dogmad, I will PM you tomorrow if you don't mind. I have a few questions that you may be able to help with. smile.gif

No worries, I'd be happy to help. I remember how devastated and scared I was with the diagnosis so I really feel for you. :)