Pet Protector Disc

leopuppy04

Just thought I would ask on here - has anyone heard of this before and/ or used them?

www.petprotector.org/?ID=13442

http://www.petprotectoraustralia.com/flea-and-tick-discs-2

I have also heard it works on paralysis ticks etc.

To a degree it makes 'sense' but I'm just not certain on it's effectiveness.....

Any information would be most appreciated :)

Did I miss something on the website?

Can't see where it says exactly HOW it works?

VAgue reference to nanotechnology.

Note nanotech isn't 100% safe

Health and environmental concerns

Researchers have found that when rats breathed in nanoparticles, the particles settled in the brain and lungs, which led to significant increases in biomarkers for inflammation and stress response[61] and that nanoparticles induce skin aging through oxidative stress in hairless mice.[62][63]

A two-year study at UCLA's School of Public Health found lab mice consuming nano-titanium dioxide showed DNA and chromosome damage to a degree "linked to all the big killers of man, namely cancer, heart disease, neurological disease and aging".[64]

A major study published more recently in Nature Nanotechnology suggests some forms of carbon nanotubes – a poster child for the “nanotechnology revolution” – could be as harmful as asbestos if inhaled in sufficient quantities. Anthony Seaton of the Institute of Occupational Medicine in Edinburgh, Scotland, who contributed to the article on carbon nanotubes said "We know that some of them probably have the potential to cause mesothelioma. So those sorts of materials need to be handled very carefully."[65] In the absence of specific regulation forthcoming from governments, Paull and Lyons (2008) have called for an exclusion of engineered nanoparticles in food.[66] A newspaper article reports that workers in a paint factory developed serious lung disease and nanoparticles were found in their lungs.[67]

Extremely small fibers, so called nanofibers, can be as harmful for the lungs as asbestos is. This scientists warn for in the publication "Toxicology Sciences" after experiments with mice. Nanofibers are used in several areas and in different products, in everything from aircraft wings to tennis rackets. In experiments the scientists have seen how mice breathed nanofibers of silver. Fibers larger than 5 micrometerwere capsuled in the lungs where they caused inflammations[68][69] (a precursor for cancer[70] like mesothelioma).[68]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanotechnology

Someone i came across on fb says he swears by them for his Staffy dogs . He's from here in Australia. . I'm bit cynical about how effective they would be . I hate all the chemical crap we (in general) have been putting into our dogs at the best of time with flea/tick treatments frown.gif but people are making this out to be a scam to just make money so who knows frown.gif

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

Researchers have found that when rats breathed in nanoparticles, the particles settled in the brain and lungs, which led to significant increases in biomarkers for inflammation and stress response[61] and that nanoparticles induce skin aging through oxidative stress in hairless mice.[62][63]

A two-year study at UCLA's School of Public Health found lab mice consuming nano-titanium dioxide showed DNA and chromosome damage to a degree "linked to all the big killers of man, namely cancer, heart disease, neurological disease and aging".[64]

A major study published more recently in Nature Nanotechnology suggests some forms of carbon nanotubes – a poster child for the “nanotechnology revolution” – could be as harmful as asbestos if inhaled in sufficient quantities. Anthony Seaton of the Institute of Occupational Medicine in Edinburgh, Scotland, who contributed to the article on carbon nanotubes said "We know that some of them probably have the potential to cause mesothelioma. So those sorts of materials need to be handled very carefully."[65] In the absence of specific regulation forthcoming from governments, Paull and Lyons (2008) have called for an exclusion of engineered nanoparticles in food.[66] A newspaper article reports that workers in a paint factory developed serious lung disease and nanoparticles were found in their lungs.[67]

Extremely small fibers, so called nanofibers, can be as harmful for the lungs as asbestos is. This scientists warn for in the publication "Toxicology Sciences" after experiments with mice. Nanofibers are used in several areas and in different products, in everything from aircraft wings to tennis rackets. In experiments the scientists have seen how mice breathed nanofibers of silver. Fibers larger than 5 micrometerwere capsuled in the lungs where they caused inflammations[68][69] (a precursor for cancer[70] like mesothelioma).[68]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanotechnology

I think you are wrong there & I stand to be corrected....but from what I have read, they work on creating a magnetic field around your dog & the ultrasonic ones like Skudos work on ultrasonic . I am not sure if I would like my dog to be constantly exposed to a magnetic field.

Lol, I've heard of that mysterious magnetic field before. Do a google search on "Shoo Tag", I assume the principle is the same. Basically you get the same effect -- which is none, apart from the placebo -- from hanging an old credit card off your dog's collar... Be a much cheaper option for sure. :p

A major study published more recently in Nature Nanotechnology suggests some forms of carbon nanotubes – a poster child for the "nanotechnology revolution" – could be as harmful as asbestos if inhaled in sufficient quantities. Anthony Seaton of the Institute of Occupational Medicine in Edinburgh, Scotland, who contributed to the article on carbon nanotubes said "We know that some of them probably have the potential to cause mesothelioma. So those sorts of materials need to be handled very carefully."[65] In the absence of specific regulation forthcoming from governments, Paull and Lyons (2008) have called for an exclusion of engineered nanoparticles in food.[66] A newspaper article reports that workers in a paint factory developed serious lung disease and nanoparticles were found in their lungs.[67]

http://en.wikipedia..../Nanotechnology

I think you are wrong there & I stand to be corrected....but from what I have read, they work on creating a magnetic field around your dog & the ultrasonic ones like Skudos work on ultrasonic . I am not sure if I would like my dog to be constantly exposed to a magnetic field.

Which bit is wrong?

I can't see where it says how the disc works? (happy to be corrected) smile.gif

If it's "Nanotechnology", then nanotech is relatively new, so how can long-term effects be known?

Lol, I've heard of that mysterious magnetic field before. Do a google search on "Shoo Tag", I assume the principle is the same. Basically you get the same effect -- which is none, apart from the placebo -- from hanging an old credit card off your dog's collar... Be a much cheaper option for sure. :p

So long as they don't find out what your PIN is... :laugh:

From my experience.. fleas do not seem to care about the 'magnetic protective shield' that these tags claim to produce. I don't know how these companies can get away with selling these products, there is no peer reviewed scientific literature that they work and they cause terrible harm when used on a poor dog I saw with flea allergy dermatitis yet owner thought he was protected by his tag.

• 4 weeks later...

Glad I read this, all the reviews I can find have been really good, was going to get it as we HATE spot ons with kids around and all the chemicals for my poor pup..

Can you come back in here & let us know how it is going :) I've never tried the disc because the instructions say not to use any other chemicals & I'm not prepared to put my kids in danger by going 100% disc so if you are going 100% disc it would be great to know how successful you find it.

Not nanotechnology, in the pure sense.

If the nano machines could cross air from the disc to the dog, they would also cross from dog to dog to cat to person and fairly shortly the whole world and thus the manufacturers would have put themselves out of business. laugh.gif Alternatively if non-selfreplicating they would quickly stop working as they spread too thinly which would be perceived as "wearing out".

If you are not fond of putting chemicals on your dog, use a nit comb daily. That is impractical with many coat types unfortunately.frown.gif