Interesting Article About Dog Parks Worth A Read

Loreley

Have spoken with Sue Steinberg at a conference - she has conducted a large amount of research into dog parks however is not anti dog parks as such.... just that the owners often don't know what they are doing and also many of the parks are set up incorrectly. Have also visited several parks thru parts of California and there are key points to think about in the design of parks.

Parks should not have seating..... this allows owners to stop and sit often chatting/playing on their phones instead of watching and interacting with their dogs.

Parks need to be large enough and should have walking tracks inside the perimeter. This encourages owners to walk thus keeping the dogs moving around the area and reduces the ability for dogs to fixate on particular dogs.

Parks work best when there is a large dam or lake which keeps the dogs focused on playing in and out of the water and also allows the more active dogs to burn off some of their energy in the water play.

Parks should ideally have a double fence entry/exit to enable people to enter the fenced area and then allow the dogs time to sniff thru the fencing before opening the second gate to enter the area, this prevents the dogs bunching and charging dogs at the gateway.

Dog Parks are important especially in built up areas - suburban dogs need the opportunity to stretch out and play.... what is needed is well designed parks and education programs to build the skills.

There is a dog trainer in Texas who runs education days and he has sometimes 50+ dogs/families spending a couple of hours learning how to get the best out of the parks..... We do similar here (but only about 10-20 dogs) at our own private dog park... works really well and families learn how to deal with the good and bad of interacting dogs either in parks or even walking in the street.

So don't write off the benefit of dog parks..... for many it may become the only option....

I think we over analyse dogs too much. Dog park threads, training threads... they're all filled with it in my view. We've forgotten that dogs are dogs, not our children.

But then we also over analyse children too much as well. I guess therein the problem lies....

Edited by ~Anne~

I think we overanalyse dogs too much. Dog parks threads, training threads... they're all filled with it in my view. We've forgotten that dogs are dogs, not our children.

But then we also overanalyse children too much as well. I guess therein the problem lies....

I agree with you 100% Anne!

T.

I think we overanalyse dogs too much. Dog parks threads, training threads... they're all filled with it in my view. We've forgotten that dogs are dogs, not our children.

But then we also overanalyse children too much as well. I guess therein the problem lies....

I agree with you 100% Anne!

T.

Me, too. Need to have some perspective about dogs being dogs.

One sensible thing that's helped with dog parks around here, was that a separate section was made for the small dogs. So it just takes the size imbalance out of any argy bargy.

We've never had issues with dogs at our local park and there's no where to sit down so most of the owners are a lot more engaged in their dogs exercise/play. Either throwing balls or walking around the oval.

I always watch closely when new dogs are interacting with ours or vice versa and if things aren't to my liking then we just walk a bit further away. It's not hard to manage the situation as long as there is enough room.

If our dogs start playing with others then we let them for a bit while chatting to the other owner before continuing our lap around the oval.

As long as you have access to a safe park and can manage your own dogs well enough then I don't see any reason to avoid dog parks all together, the benefits the dogs get from running around in a large space far outweigh the negatives - for me anyway

And I don't see many specifically designed dog parks popping up anytime soon seeing as most of the off lead areas are also sporting grounds.

I always watch closely when new dogs are interacting with ours or vice versa and if things aren't to my liking then we just walk a bit further away. It's not hard to manage the situation as long as there is enough room.

If our dogs start playing with others then we let them for a bit while chatting to the other owner before continuing our lap around the oval.

Sensible.

I would tend to agree with the over analysing statement, but only to a certain extent; you also see a lot of under analysing which perhaps could be defined as lack of understanding or even knowledge that dogs do need to be understood.

In a lot of instances, we are dealing with people who don't know that they don't know and I think it is up to the people who work in the industry (vet, pet food suppliers, rescuers, groomers, etc etc) to step up to the plate and provide some education.

People are told that dogs are social creatures and that taking them to the dog park is the right thing to do. So off the owner goes to the dog park thinking he or she is doing the right thing and the dog is going to have a wonderful time. Generally, no thought would be given to the fact that dogs are like people: many different personalities, many different ways of interacting, some will be nice and some will be nasty. They have been led to believe that dogs will be dogs and they'll romp and play and nothing awful will happen and they'll all go home happy and exhausted.

I also think that people who have only one or two dogs rarely get to see the full spectrum of dog behaviour and so don't have the opportunity to even start to learn what they are all about. I'll never forget the time when someone who was staying with me came running into the kitchen asking me if I was going to break up the fight between two of my dogs. I could hear the dogs and they were playing. This person states that she is an accredited dog trainer :eek::eek:

'If anyone feels a need to question the validity of a thread in this forum, please hit the 'Report Post' button to let us decide. It is not your job to be the forum/rescue police (at least not here).'

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/14291-guidelines-for-posting-in-the-rescue-forum/

Haredown Whippets tsk tsk

i agree with the observations in alpha bet's post

'If anyone feels a need to question the validity of a thread in this forum, please hit the 'Report Post' button to let us decide. It is not your job to be the forum/rescue police (at least not here).'

http://www.dolforums...e-rescue-forum/

Haredown Whippets tsk tsk

i agree with the observations in alpha bet's post

Reported as suggested. :) Although my suggestion was aimed at the link and any discussion benefitting a wider range of DOLers, some of whom never visit rescue. Positioning, not validity was the issue.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Interestingly, I didn't find that the first video in that article ("THIS is normal") was a particularly appropriate encounter either. It's the kind of behaviour I see at dog parks a lot. If your dog is the kind to attempt to put his head over another dog's neck, you definitely should be aware that one day he's going to choose the wrong dog to attempt it with. Normal dog behaviour, yes, but still something that I keep an eye on and discourage, if I want my dog to be able to meet unfamiliar canines. If it had been my dog, I would probably have moved around and encouraged the dogs to follow me on a bit of a walk to try to diffuse the tension.

Reported as suggested. :) Although my suggestion was aimed at the link and any discussion benefitting a wider range of DOLers, some of whom never visit rescue. Positioning, not validity was the issue.

that makes two of us. same reasons. :thumbsup:

i was a bit confused about that video. 'this is normal' meaning 'the kind of behaviour seen at dog parks a lot'... or 'normal behaviour'. :confused:

i think the article is guilty of over-analysis, especially since the author admits 'I don’t go to these parks with my own dogs. I forget what goes on in places like this.' maybe she should get out a bit more.

Interestingly, I didn't find that the first video in that article ("THIS is normal") was a particularly appropriate encounter either. It's the kind of behaviour I see at dog parks a lot. If your dog is the kind to attempt to put his head over another dog's neck, you definitely should be aware that one day he's going to choose the wrong dog to attempt it with. Normal dog behaviour, yes, but still something that I keep an eye on and discourage, if I want my dog to be able to meet unfamiliar canines. If it had been my dog, I would probably have moved around and encouraged the dogs to follow me on a bit of a walk to try to diffuse the tension.

Yes, the 'this is normal' video made me wonder too. Do we as dog owners have differing views on what 'normal' looks like? I know what is 'normal' behaviour for my dog, and maybe I subconciously expect similar behaviour from other dogs? I'm struggling to explain what I mean...:o

I will try to use an example: Unlike the dog in that video, my dog never barks at another dog in play. Never. And that is normal for him (and perhaps for the breed, judging by a group I regularly meet up with?). But for many dogs, like the beagle in the video, vocalisation is a normal part of play for them.

Is our perception of 'normal' or 'rude' dog behaviour in part, influenced by our experiences/ expectations of our own breed/breeds? :confused:

I think if a certain behavior consistently gets a negative response from other dogs (a variety of breeds and ages would give the best clues) then that behavior will probably get your dog into trouble eventually and should be stopped/changed, regardless of whether it is normal or not for that individual dog.....

I definitely think that different breeds have different "normal" behaviors for them! I find a lot of sheep dogs can be noisy players and a lot of gun dogs (the HPR kind) tend to like grabbing other dogs by the neck and ears and even attempt to throw them down (if no owner intervenes). I have heard some sight hound breeds who were intended to hunt large predators in packs will also do this (grab other dogs by ears and pull them down).

Some breeds are more inclined to play wrestle games and some prefer running/chasey. Some will stare and stalk (sheep dogs come to mind) and others of the same breed will find this style of play great, while other breeds will get intimidated or aggressive at this behavior. I most definitely think that "normal" for my dog is not necessarily "normal" for all dogs and regardless of normal or not, the response is generally what is important (i.e. positive or negative reaction from dogs on the receiving end of the behavior)

I hope that kind of makes sense :confused:

I think the behaviour in that first video is completely normal dog behaviour. It doesn't mean that it is appropriate behaviour, depending on the situation. The dogs in the video are just trying to work each other out. With dogs that know each other, I think they learn to cope with each other's different play and interaction styles. But in dog parks or when meeting new dogs, you have to be a lot more careful about your dog's body language and how it may be portrayed.

Edit: I have Aussie Shepherds, they can be completely rude and over the top at times so I am very careful to teach them appropriate behaviours around all dogs :)

Edited by wuffles

Re the location, sorry to be honest didn't even think about putting this in general :confused: Admin please move if you think it would be better in General.

Der just realised it had already been moved :laugh:

Edited by Loreley