How Do Your Girls Welcome Their Adult Daughters Back?

Diva

I have only bred one litter of Borzoi, and it only had three pups. On the weekend one of those pups, now 20 months old, came over for a visit. Neither her mum nor my other bitch had seen her for well over a year.

The reception they gave each other would best be described as raptuous. Enormous excitement and lots of affectionate face kissing amongst all three, some playing, followed by settling down to sunbake together in identical poses in my yard. After 15 minutes of delighted welcome it calmed down and it was as if she had lived there all her life.

I was surprised by how obviously joyous they all were to be reunited. I wasn't sure that would be the case after so long. It was the third time she had visited since leaving but the last time was over 12 months ago. I didn't expect any problem but I didn't expect such overwhelming displays of affection either, it was quite touching.

Next week one of the boys comes back for some dog sitting while his owner has a holiday, and it will be interesting to see how they react to him. As they haven't seen him since he first left as a baby he may be harder for them to recognise. I just wondered if this delight at seeing an adult pup was the usual thing?

Edited by Diva

The Whippets tend to be a bit more forgiving and give less of a shit about who comes and goes.

That is pretty much what I expected, polite indifference.

But it was more like a full-on family reunion, I wish I had taken some video.

Edited by Diva

My girls get very excited and Matilda checks her puppies over from head to toe when she sees them.

I find it very sweet. I have never seen an animal happier than Arwen was when she had pups, and my other bitch was over the moon to have them around, it is cute to see they still feel that way.

My Labs generally growl at daughters if they've been away for several months. It's a front. They make up to them within a few minutes.

I tend to keep a daughter from each litter. They become much devoted to one another, playing, cuddling, and grooming. I have three generations at the moment. Gran and pup are devoted to one another, as are mothers and daughters.

My girl has seen a few of her babies since they left and she just looks right through them and ignores them! Which is quite sad to see because they are also so excited to see her :(

But when she see's her mother, she's beside herself!! Go figure.

I've not had a circumstance to bring back a daughter whilst the mom was still around...but I did witness the mother of one of my manchesters.....I got Misty at 8 weeks...she hadn't seen her mother for almost 3 years.....Anna turned circles when she got a sniff of her...and grunted and talked to her, washing her etc....Misty stood there with this 'what the?' look on her face....it was as though Anna knew her daughter, but Misty didn't know her mother.....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One of my bitches I had, seemed to treat them the same as any other dog.

My main bitch welcomes them with teeth and holes in faces once they are weaned.

She doesn't like puppies....... Unless they are still suckling.laugh.gif She has work to get back to.

But all the puppies I have sold love seeing me again. They seem to remember me even after it had been months since I saw some of them.