Our First Ever Foster Dog - The Final Update

Slowly, slowly Pers. I'm trying to get her to play, I can see she wants to but she's holding back. I'm not giving up, I'm on a mission. LOL

Oh and I think I can call her crate trained now. Last night I said, Bonnie, in your bed, and off she trotted into her crate. :thumbsup: No treats, no encouragment needed.

She's also getting quite good on lead now, but getting the lead on her, still freaks her out. Once we're out, she's fine. But with repetition, scary things become less scary.

I would continue to go very very slowly, Michelleva :laugh: . As you say, she has now found her voice and the great strides you and she have made haven't taken very long.

In your situation, I would be starting to put some rules into place to nip in the bud behaviours that could become a problem simply because, in the early stages, we can be so worried about upsetting the dog and/or falling back a few paces.

Bonnie is obviously an intelligent and loving dog and is learning the ropes very quickly.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Danny's Darling, Bonnie lives by the same rules as Georgia here, she has to. Its like having two kids, to have harmony they need to know where they stand. I'm just using my human mothering skills here and hoping it applies to canines too. :laugh:

Mita doesn't Georgia look smug up there, being king of the castle. Thats my girl!

Bonnie has a lot of flaky skin in her coat, it looks like bad dandruff. The skin doesn't look red or raw or anything though. I gave her a gentle brush today and it looks like snow through the coat. The fur is growing back though. I'm hoping the skin and fur will improve over the coming weeks. She's getting fed raw meat/bones, advance dry and a flaxseed capsule on her tucker each day. Does that sound alright? She was itchy earlier on and the vet gave her a cortisone injection which did help.

Today she's shown interest in playing with a ping pong ball. :thumbsup:

I have been following Bonnie's adventures. Advance gave my dogs very itchy and flaky skin, it seemed to really dry it out. I wonder if it would get better if you changed the dry food? Sardines and yoghurt are generally favourites in this house too.

Well the advance is what Georgia was on before Bonnie came, so any suggestions would be appreciated. Because I've nearly run out of it, and need to buy something else today anyway. I will definitely pick up a few tins of sardines too, thats a good idea.

I feed mine Eagle Pack but it is quite expensive, I usually get it when it's on special (around the same price as Advance). Mine did well on Nutro for a long time but my staffy started getting extra itchy (she is allergic to summer grasses) so I changed them over and she seems to be doing better, still itchy but better. I personally would avoid Blackhawk due to the number of people that have complained about skin dryness etc on it. I am probably not helping :laugh:.

Someone else has suggested Proplan sensitive... so I've got a few options. They don't eat a huge quantity of it anyway, so I don't think its a huge contributing factor. I think its a result of a crappy diet her whole life, so in time it should improve.

Bonnie has a lot of flaky skin in her coat, it looks like bad dandruff. The skin doesn't look red or raw or anything though. I gave her a gentle brush today and it looks like snow through the coat. The fur is growing back though. I'm hoping the skin and fur will improve over the coming weeks. She's getting fed raw meat/bones, advance dry and a flaxseed capsule on her tucker each day. Does that sound alright? She was itchy earlier on and the vet gave her a cortisone injection which did help.

That was like our rescue sheltie, Danny's coat, too. He was a tricolour so the flaky skin would show up in the coat. And, yes, he had that tendency to skin allergy, too. The vet told me that, as soon as he showed any sign of itching to give him some Polaramine (the human allergy stuff). To stop him scratching skin, thus irritating the skin, making it more itchy & maybe break the skin so bacteria gets in & forms a hot spot. Can't remember the dose, tho'.

Later on a vet told me to mix plenty of cooked sweet potato in with his meals. He said the rich vitamin content was good for skin complaints. To be honest, I found that Danny did better on natural foods, rather than processed dog food. It wasn't from a belief.... it just worked that way, for him.

I have sweet potato too, so I can cook some of that and see if she'll eat it. To be honest the skin looks better today than yesterday, maybe giving it a gentle brush to loosen it has helped a bit. I have tablets from the vet to give her if she starts itching it.

What she does every morning is rub her side on the kitchen chairs and she does it with this huge grin on her face, I don't think she's doing it cos she's itchy, I think she's having fun. She only does it for a minute and then doesn't do it the rest of the day. It seems like her morning ritual, funny dog.

The vet did say she could be one of those dogs who gets allergies too, I guess time will tell on that one.

Oh and she's started copying Georgia's behaviours. Like when Georgia goes nuts barking her head off at the neighbours, Bonnie stands at the back door and barks. Its almost like she thinks, if I can't beat her, maybe I should join her. LOL She never starts it, just joins in. So she's a follower.

I have told the rescue that we won't be adopting her. When she's ready, she will find her own family. I love her, but I think Georgia is more than enough dog for us right now. I'm slowly breaking the news to the kids, I don't think they'll believe it till she goes though. There will be tears, but thats ok, maybe down the track we can foster another needy soul. :)

OMG, OMG, OMG, I'm so excited.. Today I saw something big change in Bonnie, its like the light switched on in her world and she's figured out that life can in fact be fun.

It started tonight when I was going to take the dogs for a walk. I was standing at the door and called her with the leash in my hand AND she ran to me! That has never happened, each day she's gone for a walk I've had to chase her to get the lead on her. And then we went to a park with a big open grassy area and let both dogs off their leads. They both ran around with us. And when I called her she came charging at me with a HUGE grin on her face.

I can't explain how much joy that bought me.

Its taken less than 3 weeks to go from a dog who would shrink into the ground if you put your hand near her to a dog that comes to me willingly. Now I really know she's going to be ok and have a good life. It actually made me tear up, but then I am a huge sook. LOL

I just had to tell someone, and I knew you guys would get it.

I just realised today that it was Georgia's 4th Birthday yesterday... oops.

So as I usually take a birthday pic every year, I thought I better get one. So I had a treat in one hand, camera in the other, and look who photo-bombed the birthday girl. :rofl:

post-22362-0-66347000-1388140639_thumb.jpg

Tonight Georgia has been trying to get Bonnie to play with her, she was definitely interested but still holding back. Its kind of like one step forward, two back, but steadily going in the right direction I think. She seems to be scared when we have different people come over who she hasn't met and will bark in fear for a while, then settles down. But if they come back a second time she remembers and is fine with them.

Oh and she has a new nickname 2IC (second in charge).. Georgia pees, Bonnie pees, Georgia has a drink, Bonnie has a drink, Georgia walks on the grass, Bonnie walks on the grass, you get the gist.. :laugh: she's a big copycat. I guess thats how she's learning from a more confident dog. What I notice is that she walks in circles quite a bit, when she's unsure or scared. I don't know if its something I can get her past or if she will always do it. I feel its coming from anxiety. Hopefully the less anxious she gets, the amount of circling will decrease.

What I notice is that she walks in circles quite a bit, when she's unsure or scared. I don't know if its something I can get her past or if she will always do it. I feel its coming from anxiety. Hopefully the less anxious she gets, the amount of circling will decrease.

Danny our rescue sheltie used to do that. It gradually decreased. Then, the only time he'd do it, would drive the cat mad.

He had a strong work ethic inside his sweet personality. He'd try to do 'working sheepdog' with the cat. Puss didn't have a clue exactly what he wanted her to do.... so she'd just sit & meow at him. Danny didn't have a clue either ... so he'd go around in a few circles to fill up the uncertainty space.

Georgia should get a Teacher of the Year Award. :)

Georgia should get a Teacher of the Year Award. :)

ha ha, she's not just teaching her good habits, she's teaching her all her best sheltie tricks and Bonnie just follows along. :laugh:

Yesterday the dogs and I went to visit our friends with the black lab, this time we went to their house and Bonnie was scared in the beginning and did her woo-hooing, just think a cross between a bark and a howl.. but after a while she went off investingating their backyard and looked pretty happy to be there.

Today I thought I'd walk Bonnie on her own and see how she went, she went fantastically well, in fact she walks better on her own than with Georgia. She had a nice trot going on a loose lead, right next to me. She had her biggest smile on and all looked good in her world. We stopped at two parks where there were lots of kids and adults and she approached several of them without me saying a word. She got lots of praise from me, I'm starting to think it won't take that long to get her to the point of being ready for adoption.

A lady at the park said she doesn't walk, she prances.. ha ha, thats because she knows she's a lady!

I'm happy to hear that Danny's circling decreased over time, I suspect that will happen with her too. She doesn't pace at all anymore, but its been replaced with the circling, not all day, just at times of excitement and fear mainly.

Bonnie is improving in confidence every day. She's even learnt to bark at the neighbours, Georgia sure is a great teacher.

I'm so proud of her, I've been trying to teach her to sit for her dinner, but the excitement level was so high, she virtually would do cartwheels every night, but I've persisted and today she sat before I even asked her to. She's so smart, I really think she will excel at obedience and maybe even agility down the track.

She is officially up for adoption, feel free to spread the word. I know the perfect family is out there for her. I'll be sad to see her go, but I know in my heart I'm doing the right thing for her and my family.

http://www.petrescue.com.au/listings/267384#

She is really beautiful. You have every right to feel proud of her and of yourself :thumbsup:

(Just make sure you stock up on the Kleenex :laugh: :laugh: )

Don't worry the tears started welling up when I knew the ad was live. But it will be ok, we will survive, tears and all.