Our First Ever Foster Dog - The Final Update

I remember one of the most experienced & rational rescuers told us that ONCE she lost it when her foster went. She found herself running after the car with tears flowing. So, by comparison, you did very well!

Seems that Bonnie went off happily with her new family. You said, when she met them before, she happily went to them for attention. Which she'll now get loads of!

But you will miss her ... & so does your son and Georgia who showed what a good friend she can be.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a message from them last night. Apparantly they all went for a walk together, she ate all her dinner and happily went to bed. I'm so proud of her, we did good. :)

... more than good. Have a great life, Bonnie.

I just spoke to Bonnie's new Mum and I'm pleased to let you all know within 4 days she has become one of the family. She's getting two walks a day, she's been to the beach, she's been out visiting the grandkids and met their dog and is happy doing everything. She has bought so much joy to her new family, now I have happy tears.

So it was all worth it. I'm so happy for her, she's finally got the life and family she always deserved.

They had her on a two week trial, the chances of her coming back are at a guess, nil, and thats just the way it should be. :thumbsup:

I just spoke to Bonnie's new Mum and I'm pleased to let you all know within 4 days she has become one of the family. She's getting two walks a day, she's been to the beach, she's been out visiting the grandkids and met their dog and is happy doing everything. She has bought so much joy to her new family, now I have happy tears.

So it was all worth it. I'm so happy for her, she's finally got the life and family she always deserved.

They had her on a two week trial, the chances of her coming back are at a guess, nil, and thats just the way it should be. :thumbsup:

Wonderful as it should be.

Georgia will be ok. My two Biscuit and Ming are used to having a rescue come in as one of the family and then depart.

You can see Biscuit thinking "they come and then they go" :laugh: We are still here so all is ok.

I am so glad you are getting updates that is so wonderful. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Bonnie is back. We went on holidays last week to the Gold Coast, about the middle of the week I got a text message from the new owner, simply saying, they decided they didn't want Bonnie and could they return her tomorrow. I was absolutely gutted. I was in no mood to speak to the owner, so I let the rescue contact her and they claim that she was rushing at their grandkids and they were scared she would bite them, so had to lock her outside all the time. My interpretation of that is that they expected way too much of her, way too soon. And she didn't feel safe.

Luckily a friend was looking after Georgia for me and agreed to look after Bonnie for the second half of our holiday too. Georgia was apparantly super excited to be re-united with Bonnie. Bonnie was understandly very scared and stressed out. She peed all over my friends house, probably out of stress because she's been back here since yesterday and hasn't had a single accident. But if we think there is any chance of a UTI she'll be straight to the vet, but I think thats unlikely.

The poor girl was very overwhelmed yesterday, I could see the fear in her eyes again. :( We'll never know for sure what happened in the 10 days they had her, but one thing I know for sure is that she had been pushed to breaking point. In the 6+ weeks I had her she never so much as raised a lip in agression. When she gets scared if someone new comes over, her reaction is to go to the crate where she feels safe. So I'm truly disappointed that these people did this to her, oh and as a bonus she's come back with a degree of seperation anxiety. I seem to be overcoming that fairly quickly though.

I honestly feel that Bonnie is meant to stay, because I know 100% that I have to ability to protect her and make her feel safe in this world. I don't think I can trust anyone else to do that. So time will tell, but for now we are just letting her be and not pushing her too much. She's outside with Georgia quite happily right now.

I don't think for a second that anything these people did was intentional, they just didn't know what to do, and instead of asking for help they sent her packing.

OMG - how utterly devastating from one view point, that being that Bonnie has been put through that awful experience. :(:(

The wonderful other view point being that she is back with you and that is where she will stay.

I feel gutted too, Michelleva, but in the bosom of your loving and caring family, it won't be long before she is back to being the Bonnie she was.

OMG :cry::cry::cry:

Go Georgia :thumbsup::thumbsup: You have your mate back.

OMG - how utterly devastating from one view point, that being that Bonnie has been put through that awful experience. :(:(

The wonderful other view point being that she is back with you and that is where she will stay.

I feel gutted too, Michelleva, but in the bosom of your loving and caring family, it won't be long before she is back to being the Bonnie she was.

OMG :cry::cry::cry:

Go Georgia :thumbsup::thumbsup: You have your mate back.

What makes me the saddest, is she was doing so well in the week before she left here, she was even starting to play. We're not completely back to square one, but she's definitely had a few set backs. I hope it doesn't take long for her to realise she's safe now.

It won't take long Michelleva. In the rescue and fostering business, we have all had cases where we've beaten ourselves over the head for for not being omnipotent, perfect, etc etc etc and the dog has paid for it, so don't dwell on it too much. I know you will be looking at her with melting heart . . . . . .

Bonnie will be her old self in no time. I seem to recall that she has started bossing you around :laugh: :laugh:

What she's started doing now is when I put her outside in the morning to do her business, she immediately starts barking the second I shut the door, its glass so she can still see in. Today it lasted for about 5 mins, I did my best to ignore it and then I noticed she'd wandered off and was sniffing on the grass. So its not a really bad case. She can be in a different room to me and not freak out.

A long time ago we took in a rescue cav who had been neglected by being left outside his entire life. He was about 7 when we got him and he was craving attention so badly, that we couldn't help feel sorry for him and lavished attention and love on him. Without realising it, we gave him seperation anxiety. He had to be near us 24/7 or he freaked out, I learnt a very big lesson from that experience and I don't want the same for Bonnie.

So when she has a flip out I'm trying to just let her get it out of her system and get on with my own thing. And so far it seems to be working. The dogs have been outside together all day and she's only freaked out a couple of times. So I feel I'm doing ok with her.

Life is about learning from our experiences, I'm learning and Bonnie is doing the same. :thumbsup: We are not dwelling on the past, we're living in the now and looking forward to the future.

And that doesn't mean I know everything, so if anyone has ideas to help get her past this phase, I will gladly take it.

it seems to me that you are right on track, M.

I've just re-read your post and where you said, they didn't ask for advice, just sent her packing, reminds me of an incident in my "life as a rescuer". I hadn't rehomed this particular dog, but was looking after a rescuer's business while she was on holidays and received a call from the new owners saying that the dog was escaping and they had no idea how or where he was getting up. I went over to see them and when I pulled up at the front gate, saw immediately where the dog was chewing through their half hearted attempts to barricade the gate. I started to suggest other ways to prevent the escapes, but it was obvious they wanted the dog gone. He was a very bad mix for their existing dog and one which I was surprised the rescuer had thought was okay.

So what I am suggesting is that some people think they want a dog or another dog and when it happens, the reality is very different and they don't really want the dog after all and just make up stories as to why the dog doesn't fit. Of course, the stories may be true, but the behaviour is brought on by something they are doing and they aren't prepared to address that.

In situations like that, the interests of the dog always come first :) :)