Older Dogs & Hearing (& Getting Scared)

MadWoofter

Fleming loves to be outside when I'm home during the day, and curls up under his favourite bushes. He always wants to come in of an evening though, and as soon as the sun starts setting he's at the back door wanting to come in.

I've noticed recently that there are a few occasions where he really doesn't want to come in, and displays behaviour he normally shows when he's scared. I've now realised that on those occasions there will always be a thunderstorm a few hours later.

Neither of my dogs have been concerned by thunder storms in the past. Is it possible that his hearing is changing with age (he's about 11)? And is there much I can do? He's not petrified, and doesn't shake or dribble like some dogs do, but is showing definite signs of anxiety. Once I get him inside (food usually does the trick) he will get as close as he can but still be under the coffee table.

Is it worth getting a thunder shirt? Are they good for all anxieties? Fleming, while a million times improved since I first got him, still has a number of anxieties, most of which I know the trigger of. If I get one and put it on him when he shows this anxious behaviour will it calm him down then, or will it be too late (and the behaviour has set in). Is he even bad enough to need one?

Any suggestions gratefully accepted :)

Fleming doesn't seem excessively distressed once he's inside. Just being a bit wary... like getting under the coffee table. That's the level that my brave little tibbie girl gets to, when there's a terrible thunder storm going on. She'll settle close against my feet. The older girl is deaf as a post, so has no worries.

About his getting a bit scared a few hours before the storm.... do dogs pick up factors like air pressure changes, different smell in the air? Little dog next door, really is scared of storms & carries on desperate to be picked up the whole time. She picks up that a storm is coming ... but it'll be about an hour before when she starts seriously fretting.

Edited by mita

I didn't have a lot of experience with storm phobic dogs ---- and along comes Myrtie. In the past the only reason I've had to shut the dogs in when there have been storms is to keep them dry and stop them running out into hail :eek: .

Different story with Myrtie. Dogs sense the storm from the changes in electrical currents ( explanation :o:o ) a long time before we are aware of an impending storm.

My saviour - at least Myrtie's saviour - has been Valium; as she is a tiny dog she gets just 1/4 tablet. Doesn't take long for her to be okay again even is the storm is still raging.

I haven't noticed any side affects from the valium.

do dogs pick up factors like air pressure changes, different smell in the air?

I'm guessing they must do. It can be literally hours later that it finally hits which is when I then go "aha, that's why Flemo was hiding in the bushes". I know I can sometimes feel or smell when a storm is coming - and dogs are a lot more sensitive than us.

I wonder what distance they can hear to? I doubt it's hearing with Fleming when the thunder is so much later.

Strange dogs :D

MW, my Belgian is storm phobic, moreso than Fleming, but she is happiest down the back of the lounge which is a favourite spot for her as she feels safe with her back against the wall. I tried a thundershirt a few years ago but without success, in fact she seemed to get very hot in it & I was worried about her overheating.

At 11, Fleming's hearing may be starting to become compromised. Maybe he can sense the storm & the change in pressure but is confused because he cannot rely on his aural capacity to confirm what he is sensing?

The thundershirt is touted as having a high success rate, I have read 80%, but you do need to do some preparatory training. Unfortunately, the only way to find out if a thundershirt will work is to try one. :)

Shame I no longer have mine, I lent it to a colleague & it was never returned, otherwise I would have sent it to you.

Thanks trifecta :)

I don't think a thundershirt will solve anything, and he really is OK once he's inside and 'safe'. I'll just keep an eye on him and if he starts getting really distressed have a chat to the vet about valium or some sort of a sedative.

Yep definitely can come on with age. Our old dobe x pointer was the most bomb proof dog I've ever net, very rare that anything would worry her, around 13 she became noise phobic especially with thunderstorms and fireworks.

I have a dog here that is the same but he's only 4 we use Xanax if there's fire works or big storms.

Zeddy is currently sitting under the computer desk sniffing the air - there's something coming methinks... she's a pretty good barometer actually... lol!

If we get a really nasty storm, Zeddy feels safest in the bathroom with the door shut and the light off - she settles really well in there, whereas if I leave her out, she keeps trying to get into my lap (and at 30kgs, that's not going to happen).

She's not the type to freak out and try to get out of the yard if there's a storm - in fact, the yard is the last place you'll find her if there's a storm... she has access to the kitchen when I'm not home, so she's usually fine when I get back - and she has Pickles to help keep her safe from the nasty bangs and flashes.

Zeddy is 14, and she learned her storm and fireworks phobia from a dog we looked after once... grrr! Zeddy's anxiety levels regarding storms has increased with age too - she is now 14...

T.

.. she's a pretty good barometer actually... lol!

Our cat, Jeremy, was the best serious rain predictor

If there was rain around.... & it was dead set to turn into days of pouring rain, Jeremy would sit on top of the fridge and stay there.

If it was going to be a few showers for a day, he wouldn't.

He was better than the weather bureau. Friends who used to go out fishing on the bay... would ask when it started to rain, 'Is Jeremy on the fridge?'.

I don't know how the animals do these things. Jeremy was famous for not being too bright ... like he was so awkward, he'll fall out of trees.

I agree that dogs become different as they age. My elderly tibbie girl, who used to go into a Buddhist calm zone when the vet did anything, like injection or trim nails.... now screams like a banshee.