Reaction To My Dog

GSDowner

I'm asian myself, and I think its fairly accurate that it's a cultural thing that asians are scared of dogs.. As most dogs in my country (philippines) are mostly street dogs so just roam around and are free to breed which makes it easy for dogs to act wild.

Although, I love dogs to death as they're much more relateable than humans in my opinion. :laugh:

Ignore and continue walking...

Funny because most asian loves GSD but it's a fear thing. Kids are taught to be scared of dogs because of parents thinks dogs are dirty etc, and it's a vicious cycle, and they were never taught anything different as they grow older.

This is true in some situations some think dogs are things to be feared of for differing reasons.

I know a relative who is (understandably) excessively afraid of dogs because a dog had attacked her causing facial skin to be torn off when she was younger ... which then caused a chain reaction, now her children can sense the fear of their mum which teaches them that dogs are scary. Also, in they're not allowed to have dogs because of the mothers phobia of dogs. Trying to get them slowly accustomed to dogs is a challenge :o ...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live by myself and it makes me feel safer that people are scared or cautious of the way my dog looks especially when I walk or jog at night. I accept it as part and parcel of owning a dog that fits many peoples stereotype of a scary dog (largish, pointy ears, furrowed brow, looks shepherd-ish). It's not by any means the reason I have one but it is a benefit in my eyes. No one is scared or put off by my beagle, there's a reason I choose to jog with my Mal at night :)

ETA: my family is Chinese and I agree with others that it is often a cultural thing. My dad tries to act cool around dogs but he is really quite scared of them and will revert to panic mode even around my mums 11 year old Husky.

Edited by huski

I'm a bit behind. Just popping in to say I LOVE the ratties! So, so adorable.

Huski - I find comfort in walking my big, black dog around at night too. As well as having her on the deck at the front of the house during the day. Tends to stop people from thinking about coming into the yard. People who know her understand she is just a big smoocher, but she looks scary from the street.

Huski - I find comfort in walking my big, black dog around at night too. As well as having her on the deck at the front of the house during the day. Tends to stop people from thinking about coming into the yard. People who know her understand she is just a big smoocher, but she looks scary from the street.

Agree. Gus wouldn't do much to ward off an intruder but he has a big bark and will let us know when something is amiss outside.

A few weeks back we woke up to him barking in the lounge and we let him go assuming it was a cat and he'd give up pretty quick, woke up and he was asleep on the couch and there was a police car next door. They'd broken into next doors car, meanwhile mine was unlocked (oops!) in the drive and totally untouched.

Anyone who knows him knows all that will happen is you'll get mauled with love, but I don't mind onlookers not knowing any better.

Quinn's good like that too, she'll do a big loud bark if she hears something unusual in the yard and she'll jump and bark at a door or fence if a person is on the other side. She only wants to get to them to give them a bit tongue kiss in the mouth but I think it would be a bit intimidating for someone who didn't know her well. Seeing as I live alone also I'm quite happy for her to do it :)

Haha - my family's old boxer was a tongue kiss in the mouth type as well! Unfortunately for her, she was a dark brindle with a black face, and people used to do a wide circle around her in fear when we were out walking. She missed out on so many opportunities :rofl:

Our family downsized in dogs years ago, but at the biggest stage, we had Great Danes. They were pussy cats in disguise. It's unbelievable the amount of people who would cross the road just to get away from us. On the other hand, I had a terrified, hysterical woman scoop up her miniature poodle to escape my 3 month old miniature schnauzer at the park one day.

I have to agree with other posters on this page, I would like it if any of my dogs were intimidating! Jogging in the early hours of the morning Rusty looks pretty and not one bit intimidating, but I'm comforted in the fact that's he's protective when need be, and I know he's got a tough bite!

And of course biscuit, as loyal and protective he is, he's not very intimidating :laugh:

Not that I had envisaged an Asian specific fear of dogs, but 3 or 4 years ago an Asian woman freaked out in complete hysterics at the sight of my GSD at a shopping centre, she literally ran away screaming after turning a corner and being confronted by me and my dog at heel about 10/15 metres away. The dog an operable apprehension/protection trained dog on the job was in his rights to light up at the commotion, but he looked at me strangely I recall awaiting command. I was thankful my dog didn't light up and behaved himself, not sure how this poor woman would have reacted if the dog thought he should deal with her although he was well restrained and controlled.

I agree that most people are scared of Shepherdy looking dogs and the funny part is they are more scared if a GSD is muzzled........perhaps they think if the muzzle fell off the dog "would" eat them??

I get mixed reactions, I've had people scared of my smallest dog who is now 14 years old, people scared of my GSD and bigger Kelpie (more understandable though Diesel really is a big softy and now 10 years old!), and I've also had people want to come over and pat them, including children. Generally I do find that Asians are often scared of dogs, although there is this one asian kid who always comes up to pat the dogs and asks heaps of questions, she wants to get a dog herself so is very keen. She then translates to her mother.

I get mixed reactions, I've had people scared of my smallest dog who is now 14 years old, people scared of my GSD and bigger Kelpie (more understandable though Diesel really is a big softy and now 10 years old!), and I've also had people want to come over and pat them, including children. Generally I do find that Asians are often scared of dogs, although there is this one asian kid who always comes up to pat the dogs and asks heaps of questions, she wants to get a dog herself so is very keen. She then translates to her mother.

I have seen a few quite large male Kelpies in black and tan and pure black resembling working line GSD's at a quick glance.