52/2014

gapvic

I like she impala in the long grass...... it fits the upward movement of the total composition - the horns, trees, & grass :)

As for me? Well, I haven't got anything to show for the last three weeks :( , so I guess I'll have to bow out & leave you guys to it.

Don't you dare. There is still the best part of the year left. So out you go and capture the world for us to see and enjoy.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, grumpette. I will try!

Yesterday I buried my old mare that I have had for over 21 years. This is the last photo I have of her, although I took it in July. I just took a shot of her beautiful head at dusk one evening when we were enjoying some quiet time together.

14649845095_bfca79b9b0_z.jpg

Tiki - 3243 by Groenendevil on Flickr

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

LFF you have improved heaps! Keep going!

That first image is pretty amazing, love how you got the plane in there :)

That said, can you be a bit more specific about what you'd like to improve? What do you mean by clarity?

And if you'd like to take your camera off auto settings, just try it :) It's a steep learning curve, but you'll get it.

Thanks Huga! I feel like when I look at other people's photos on here they look really sharp and have strong contrast between what's in focus and background out of focus. Plus the colours often look fuller/richer/more vibrant. I do think I need to go off automatic. I got a DSLR Photography for Dummies from the library... I need to read about technical things with the camera...you know, those technical thingies :rofl:

So you would like more blurry backgrounds (compression)?

That happens a couple of ways - shooting wide open (which you need a fast lens for), focal length (longer lens, more compression) and how far the subject is from the background, if that makes sense?

What lens are you using the most?

I like she impala in the long grass...... it fits the upward movement of the total composition - the horns, trees, & grass :)

As for me? Well, I haven't got anything to show for the last three weeks :( , so I guess I'll have to bow out & leave you guys to it.

Don't you dare. There is still the best part of the year left. So out you go and capture the world for us to see and enjoy.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, grumpette. I will try!

Yesterday I buried my old mare that I have had for over 21 years. This is the last photo I have of her, although I took it in July. I just took a shot of her beautiful head at dusk one evening when we were enjoying some quiet time together.

14649845095_bfca79b9b0_z.jpg

Tiki - 3243 by Groenendevil on Flickr

Awwww. What a lovely girl. You must be feeling sad... I find it so nice to make times for photos...and the simplest outings I find often yield the most surprises.

LFF you have improved heaps! Keep going!

That first image is pretty amazing, love how you got the plane in there :)

That said, can you be a bit more specific about what you'd like to improve? What do you mean by clarity?

And if you'd like to take your camera off auto settings, just try it :) It's a steep learning curve, but you'll get it.

Thanks Huga! I feel like when I look at other people's photos on here they look really sharp and have strong contrast between what's in focus and background out of focus. Plus the colours often look fuller/richer/more vibrant. I do think I need to go off automatic. I got a DSLR Photography for Dummies from the library... I need to read about technical things with the camera...you know, those technical thingies :rofl:

I haven't seen what the photography for dummies book is like but sometimes I think an entire book can be a bit daunting. Here is a link to DPSs tips for beginners

http://digital-photography-school.com/digital-photography-tips-for-beginners/

The first two sections would be most useful I think, especially the aperture priority and shutter priority pages. They are a good way to start moving away from automatic. The camera still does some stuff for you to expose correctly (mostly :)) lots of video tutorials on that site too.

Don't worry, it can all seem confusing at first but once you start playing around with the camera it will click into place. Having said that I still get confused about the F No.s. A larger aperture has a smaller Number. Wide open is actually the smallest number. :(

I need to start getting my head around it...enter the wilderness of manual settings :)

LFF, I have only just started shooting manual.

Over the years I enthusiastically read heaps of articles but come shooting time I was never able to successfully fit the text to the occasion, so I became stuck in Aperture mode. The thing that changed it for me was the workshop by Peter Coulson. In the space of four hours I learnt more about exposure & light metering than a couple of years of reading. I highly recommend doing a workshop with a professional photographer, I'm sure there would be something on offer where you are in Sydney?

Unfortunately I don't have the time to commit to a course or a join a club, my photography interest has to be way down on my list of priorities at the moment - that's just the way life is, there are other things which must take precedence. Maybe you find yourself in the same situation? Again doing the odd workshop now & again can be useful stepping stones without overcommiting oneself.

However, in the long term, I hope to be able to devote much more time to photography and then maybe any improvement will be made at a much faster rate :) and I hope to be able to afford some new gear instead of my old outdated D80 :laugh:

ETA Thanks for the condolences & kind thoughts, guys!

Edited by trifecta

Beautiful Hazy :thumbsup: That Vet was on the news last night. They were showing a very overweight Cavvy on a water tread mill. He was 10kg overweight :eek: Looked like a great Vet practise though.

It's funny I was watching the news last night and saw that segment coming up after the break but I turned over, not knowing it was my wonderful vet! I saw it on their FB page this morning, far out that was one fat Cav :eek:

I'm so sorry for your loss, trifecta your old mare was lovely.

Harvey had a checkup a couple of weeks ago, the vet poked him in the ribs and said he was a bit porky! :o

He has to lose a kg. It's hard to tell under all his hair but I'm sure I would have noticed 10kg! Poor Cavvy, they're not that big to start with. :(

Week 34

14906456957_84fa1ba2b0_z.jpg

52-2014-34 by nzalis99, on Flickr

Week 35

14906327919_b78a3c7a87_z.jpg

52-2014-35 by nzalis99, on Flickr