Prescription Medication Online

Human medications from pharmacies are subsidised as well remember so the price is a lot lower. Take away the subsidy and you would fall over if you knew how much some common medications actually cost.

Then why do pharmacies have separate prices on the same product for PBS ("only available to customers with a current Medicare card") and private prescriptions ("Prescriptions not subsidised under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme")?

Then why do pharmacies have separate prices on the same product for PBS ("only available to customers with a current Medicare card") and private prescriptions ("Prescriptions not subsidised under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme")?

The answer is in your question.

There are two prices for the SAME product. My dog doesn't have a medicare card so if I buy medicine at the chemist using a veterinary prescription, I'm paying the full price, which is counter to the argument that the chemist is cheaper than the vet because the medicine they sell is subsidized by the PBS. Prescription lines have a subsidized and non-subsidize price.

Edited by Mum to Emma

There are two prices for the SAME product. My dog doesn't have a medicare card so if I buy medicine at the chemist using a veterinary prescription, I'm paying the full price, which is counter to the argument that the chemist is cheaper than the vet because the medicine they sell is subsidized by the PBS. Prescription lines have a subsidized and non-subsidize price.

If you are buying your dog's medication on script at the chemist paying the full (non subsidised price) it is still cheaper than buying the medication from the vet, though I take your point about meds being cheaper when PBS subsidised.

I imagine the person stating the meds were cheaper being PBS subsidised was alluding to the script being in the name of the dog's owner rather than the dog.

I've never ordered prescription vet meds online, but I'm pretty happy with my vet because they don't charge me the dispensing fee for one of Kayla's ongoing medications. It usually costs $60 for 20 days supply but I pay $45 without the dispensing fee, so a decent saving. Looking at the same product online, it's slightly cheaper again taking into account postage. But in my case I'm happy to continue buying it from my vet.

Depends on the product though and how often you need to buy it.

Thank you for the continual interest and views.

The website I was thinking about buying from is based in Australia and therefore should not have problems with customs. But I will certainly check with them about expiry date.

Rather in shock over the vet buying medication and turning it around for a quick mark-up. Obviously I live a sheltered life and shock easily. lol

Am I allowed to post the name of the Australian website that I was thinking about buying from under the forum rules? Just thought other people might be interested...

I'm interested as I buy quite a few prescription medications for my dog, including Cortavance. I had no luck in finding 'Baytril' (enrofloxacin) online through Australian websites, that was pretty expensive too.

We regularly write scripts for our patients. A lot of the meds we use are human drugs, so it is cheaper for owners to buy from a chemist. The scripts are made in the animal's name so no PBS. But it is still cheaper than buying from us. In many cases, it is even cheaper than if they were buying wholesale from our supplier! We give enough repeats to cover them until their next visit, and only charge a script fee if they lose their script and we have to write a new one. Some meds are animal only and obviously in those cases, a script is not possible.

Thank you for the continual interest and views.

The website I was thinking about buying from is based in Australia and therefore should not have problems with customs. But I will certainly check with them about expiry date.

Rather in shock over the vet buying medication and turning it around for a quick mark-up. Obviously I live a sheltered life and shock easily. lol

Am I allowed to post the name of the Australian website that I was thinking about buying from under the forum rules? Just thought other people might be interested...

I'm interested as I buy quite a few prescription medications for my dog, including Cortavance. I had no luck in finding 'Baytril' (enrofloxacin) online through Australian websites, that was pretty expensive too.

I don't know of any spray-on cortisone for humans that is the same as cortavance.

Apex Laboratories make enrofloxacin at a heavily reduced price but it is not flavoured, and since Baytril is super expensive and clinics have to keep two different strengths of it on shelf at all times, they may or may not be open to also stocking the generic version.

We used to order it for a large breed dog but he was on it indefinitely and the owner was happy to buy it by the bottle. That's also an issue though, if your dog only requires a few weeks of it, then prescribing laws state the registered vet can only sell you the amount that is required for the current problem. :)

Oh thanks for that information Staff'n'Toller.

Ok so Cortavance is a bit of a stand-alone product then. I will just keep getting it from the dermatologist vet in that case.

We don't need Baytril at the moment (when we last used it i recall it being about $800 for 8 weeks supply).

If Bruno needs to go on it again though I will ask the vet about the generic Apex laboratories version.

Thanks so much! :)

I have looked at the site before and it is massively expensive - one 250 clavulox tablet is $1.68 and one pred 20mg tablet is $17.79 :eek: , hopefully I am reading it wrong but I have priced meds there before. Try and get a script and go to the human chemist.

Their Optimmune is $25 cheaper than I pay at the vet, I have just asked them if its a genuine brand or generic.

Also I am getting one tube free for every 3 I buy at the vet atm, so its making it cheaper, but not sure how long that offer will last.