Concrete Run Floors In The Heat

cowanbree

I have recently changed a couple of my run floors over from gravel to concrete pavers because one of my dogs started eating the stones. It has worked quite well since I have done it but I am finding on hot days the run floor is not as cool as the gravel and I come home the other day to some of the dogs looking rather distressed. Half of the outside is totally roofed and the other half has shade cloth (70%) on it with 3 sides enclosed (tin fence, wooden fence and garage) which has always worked really well previously. It allows a breeze to get through and isn't totally enclosed which can build the heat up.

They have small internal runs which are out of the sun that they could go into but they are normally out lying or playing in the outside runs. They are not interested in pools and do have trampoline beds to lie on in the outside runs if they want. We don't have a lot of really hot days here and the temperature was only about 30 (which is hot for us) so I don't really want to make huge changes which may affect how well they work for the rest of the year but I am looking for ideas. Is there something you can paint on the concrete to make it not absorb heat?

Have you felt the temperature of the floor? when it is hot, the part the sun hits with get very hot and burn the dogs pads, my dog runs are also concreted, however they are full roofed with UV Resistent see through laserlite, so it allows the light through, but doesnt get hot so as to heat the ground., I also have the side of the pens fully walled with a UV Resistent tarp, which allows airflow and protection from the elements.

Not really because it's the material itself which absorbs the heat AND the problem with those materials is they store heat as well over a prolonged period. So you find heated pavers etc remain quite warm even when the weather has cooled off. The only way to get rid of the heat is to wet it with a hose that increases the heat transfer out of the material (I used to have to do that with my house)

Why don't you try some sythetic material like fake grass or rubber matting on there.

Fake grass gets extremely hot as would any other material on the ground, only way is to prevent the sun heating up the ground, by providing adequate cover to the affected areas, of course it depends on the temperature.

Years ago on an outside enclosed verandah, we used to have sea grass matting. It used to get wet from the rain but dried out pretty quick. Not sure if this is still available but it used to be good AND cheap.

Am I right in thinking the concrete paver area has shade cloth protecting it from the sun but is still getting too hot?

If so have you considered installing a misting system in that area?

That is correct. They do have shade cloth over them but it is only 70% so I have replaced it with 90% today which surely will help. Issue now is that it is pouring rain and the water is pooling on the 90% instead of passing through it like it used to. Hard to meet every requirement isn't it but it rains a lot more than it is hot here.

I know its not a run, but my patio where my dogs are has a concrete floor and I have the highest uv laserlite over the top.

The floor never gets hot, unlike the fake grass which does with ho shade.