Fire Warning For Vic

Blackdogs

Please do introduce yourself to your neighbours and maybe work out a plan. Our little group of neighbours has a plan of what we would do and where we would go which even includes some neighbours bringing their boats in case things get worse and we need to evacuate across water. You'd be surprised how happy many neighbours are to help out once they know you and your pets. If you live on a larger property maybe make up a little code to hang on your gate like a coloured ribbon that lets them know you have evacuated yourself and your animals, if the ribbon is not there they know to call up your dogs if they have time to do it before they have to leave.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's 38.6 outside and 32.2 in the coolest part of my house. I'm sitting here with a spray bottle of chilled water that I douse myself with and then sit in front of the fan. I dont have aircon. My poor chicken wants to come in the house, she's standing out there with her wings drooping and panting. She's got plenty of water and shade so please dont tell me I'm mistreating her. I've been giving her chilled fresh corn to eat too. She liked that.

Phew! HOT! Damn HOT!!

Edited by Kirislin

hellish night, I didn't sleep much, my bedroom was close to 30C all night. It's still almost 28C inside so it didn't cool much and wont take much to heat up again. :( My funny little whippet Feather jumped off my bed to wriggle under the doona I'd kicked onto the floor and Neko squirmed her way under the bed sheet that I slept on top of.

It's so dry here now, I'm dreading the next few days of scorching heat, very reminscent of the lead up to Black Saturday.

Stay safe Kirislin.

Unfortunately the forest areas that were affected by the black Saturday fires have barely been touched since and are now filled with dead wood.

Luckily the CFA seem to be on their toes, the 14 hectare fire in kangaroo ground yesterday afternoon was attended by 5 water bombers. It's still 'Not yet under control' but doesn't seem to be moving quickly. Hopefully it's under control before the winds pick up :crossfingers:

hellish night, I didn't sleep much, my bedroom was close to 30C all night. It's still almost 28C inside so it didn't cool much and wont take much to heat up again. :( My funny little whippet Feather jumped off my bed to wriggle under the doona I'd kicked onto the floor and Neko squirmed her way under the bed sheet that I slept on top of.

It's so dry here now, I'm dreading the next few days of scorching heat, very reminscent of the lead up to Black Saturday.

I didn't sleep at all and I feel like crap today. Didnt drop below 28 all night.

Hate summer in this country with a passion.

I didn't sleep at all and I feel like crap today. Didnt drop below 28 all night.

Hate summer in this country with a passion.

I only got a few hours sleep as well but for some reason I'm surrounded by people who have ducted aircon so I'm not getting much sympathy at work :p

When it comes to weather this hot I would move back to WA in a heart beat to have the reliable fremantle doctor come through every afternoon

Stay hydrated. When our air-con went on the blink one awful day ... I used the frozen veggie packs from the freezer as cooling pads & in front of the fan. Also put t-shirts in plastic bags in the freezer, for a bit.

Stay safe Kirislin.

Unfortunately the forest areas that were affected by the black Saturday fires have barely been touched since and are now filled with dead wood.

Luckily the CFA seem to be on their toes, the 14 hectare fire in kangaroo ground yesterday afternoon was attended by 5 water bombers. It's still 'Not yet under control' but doesn't seem to be moving quickly. Hopefully it's under control before the winds pick up :crossfingers:

The fire is contained and they are currently extinguishing hot spots within the containment lines. :thumbsup:

Issued For: Kangaroo Ground, North Warrandyte

Fire Origin: KANGAROO GROUND

Incident Name: KANGAROO GROUND - KOOS RD

Issued: 15/01/14 12:14 PM

This an updated Advice message is being issued by Country Fire Authority for Kangaroo Ground, North Warrandyte.

Firefighters have stopped the spread of fire in the Kangaroo Ground Koos Road area and fire activity has subsided.

The fire is now contained and crews will continue to work on extinguishing hot spots within the containment lines.

Dawson Road is open to local traffic only.

There is currently no threat to communities, but you should continue to stay informed and monitor conditions.

Smoke may be visible from nearby communities and roads.

The next update is expected by 15/01/14 6:00 PM or as the situation changes.

I've just stuck my t shirt under the tap and put it back on. :laugh: I wont win any wet t shirt competititions though.

I am still in my tank top and shorts PJs and only recently came inside from playing under the sprinkler with the dogs.

42.2 degrees outside and 31.3 degrees inside. Hot. Damn hot :eek:

A Watch and Act notice has now been issued for Panton Hill due to changing winds...

Issued For: Panton Hill

Fire Origin: 2KM NORTH KANGAROO GROUND

Incident Name: KANGAROO GROUND - KOOS RD

Issued: 15/01/14 2:42 PM

This is a Watch and Act message issued by Country Fire Authority for Panton Hill.

A southwest wind change is now impacting the fire area. There is potential for the fire to jump control lines and move towards the Panton Hill area. CFA advises residents and the public in the Panton Hill area to take shelter and continue to stay informed. To be on the road at this time is not the safest option.

Those wishing to return to the Panton Hill area are advised to go to family or friends, away from the fire area. If this is not possible, the Eltham Relief centre is now open at Eltham Community Centre, 801 Main Road, Eltham.

Please be advised that residents are currnetly not under any threat. Continue to monitor conditions as the situation may change at any time.

If driving, slow down and turn on your headlights; smoke will make it difficult to see.

Dawson Road is open to local traffic only.

The next update is expected by 15/01/14 6:30 PM or as the situation changes.

I'm getting advice after advice here re new fires within 20km. Nothing near us thankfully and pretty much all under contro and were on the coast so were not worried. It was 40 deg earlier and now were in the middle of a hectic thunderstorm. WTF?! The lightning is concerning :(