Fire Warning For Vic

Blackdogs

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm dreading today and tomorrow. My house is still hot, yesterday it got to 34.5 inside my house so I expect it will be hotter today. I spent all day sitting inside with the radio on listening for emergency warnings and checking the website and then going outside looking for smoke. It's going to be so much worse today because everything's been baking in the sun for the last 2 days.

I hope they dont cut the power off. I dont have air con, just a fan so I cannot really keep cool anyway. I also dont have a mobile phone and my land line wont work if the power's cut, so if they do the emergency fire warning I wont get it.

If they cut the power all I can do is load the dogs into the car and start driving with the aircon on. I have a full tank, I should get 1000ks with that. :laugh:

Do you have a wind up or battery radio? We are also likely to lose power in a fire situation and mobile reception goes down the toilet on a windy day. I bought a cheap generator which is a life saver and a not so cheap fire pump which I'm hoping we never get our money's worth out of.

Also have a radio scanner which picks up all the CFA chatter. It's permanently on charge at this time of year.

It really cooled down here last night (comparatively) although we didn't get much rain. It was cool enough to do some training with Em this morning - she's got a bad case of cabin fever and is so much happier after a couple of drills.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

My little puppy Neko went crazy last night and the night before, probably from being shut up in the house for most of the time. She felt very hot and was growly and bitey so I picked her up and sprayed her tummy and chest with my cool water, then sat her on my lap with her back against my tummy and we sat in front of the fan. I held her little arms out so she was much like the lemurs who sun themselves and she seemed to love it. She didn't resist at all and it definitely cooled her down.