Fire Warning For Vic

Blackdogs

I could see the lightning last night from our back door but we didnt get any rain, got a bit of a drop in temp (down to about 25) but without any breeze it didnt blow much of the hot air out of our house dispite having all the windows and doors open all night.

Today is going to be tough on Jager. My OH has been home all week to watch him but we are both at work today so Jager will be inside alone all day, i have put the fan on for him, put down the cool mat (which he doesnt use) and put out some frozen coke bottles around where he tends to sleep when we are out and in front of the fan. Plenty of water for him and the house is on lock down so is pitch black.

I cannot wait for Saturday, to of 21 here and I think i am going to just go and lay on the freezing concrete until i turn blue.

Hope everyone is staying safe and has an emergency plan in place if you are in a dry area. Dont forget to have plenty of water for youself and the pets packed.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's even too hot for the blowies today. I'm doing my weekly dog food cook up and usually the flies just about bash the doors down to come in and drive us all crazy but I haven't seen one yet. I suppose that's one good thing about the heat wave.

Hope everyone has this tab up: http://www.emergency.vic.gov.au/#now

A bit worried about the Grampians as I have friends there.

I find this really hard to read. All the symbols overlay each other and it's hard to know what's underneath. I've got friends in the Grampians, Bacchus Marsh, Bendigo, Heathcote and Rubicon. All those areas could be affected with a change in the wind, not to mention where I live in the Yarra Valley. I just wish Saturday would come soon with no loss of life or property before then.

Hope everyone has this tab up: http://www.emergency.vic.gov.au/#now

A bit worried about the Grampians as I have friends there.

I find this really hard to read. All the symbols overlay each other and it's hard to know what's underneath. I've got friends in the Grampians, Bacchus Marsh, Bendigo, Heathcote and Rubicon. All those areas could be affected with a change in the wind, not to mention where I live in the Yarra Valley. I just wish Saturday would come soon with no loss of life or property before then.

It can be pretty hard to read. Best bet is to keep an eye on the orange exclamation marks (Watch and Act), those are the ones advising people in the area what do to if there is a fire that may threaten properties.

Zoom into the area, click on the orange symbol and click view details to see the whole notice

Last I checked the temp last night it was 24 degrees, it defiantly didn't feel like 24 degrees! Its the coolest its been in a couple of days but still keeping the house locked up and air con on. I heard some thunder last night but it didn't stay for very long. There was a fire somewhere in town today but wasn't a big one.

I don't know if I am under the flight path for the helicopters or they just keep flying over to check the dandenongs. Either way it is a bit unnerving!

There's hardly any breeze here in the valley, nothing to worry about.

I have a bit of PTSD from black Saturday. I hate the sound of helicopters now.

I don't know if I am under the flight path for the helicopters or they just keep flying over to check the dandenongs. Either way it is a bit unnerving!

There's hardly any breeze here in the valley, nothing to worry about.

:(I have a bit of PTSD from black Saturday. I hate the sound of helicopters now.

I understand. Sorry you're carrying that burden around. :(

We are lucky here, it's as hot as hell but the police are everywhere to catch the firebugs. We have one who starts fires around here and we are due a catastrophic fire in the hills, it's only through their quick action and vigilance we stay safe. They literally sit at the major roads and check cars going in.

I hope you guys are ok tomorrow :(