Can Someone Help!

judy69

This is probably masticatory myositis.

The dog will need to be diagnosed by a vet who has treated this before.

The treatment is usually prednisolone.

Hey Dr Wundahoo, you could be on to something there!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masticatory_muscle_myositis

I've seen it before....... it has a classic look ! Never to be forgotten. The swollen muscles eventually begin to atrophy and then get that dreadful sunken appearance to them. If the disease is diagnosed and treated early the dog wil usually be OK but the treatment is lengthy and cant be stopped otherwise the dog will relapse pretty quickly.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Wundahoo and Purdie I gave those links to my friend who read them and then spoke to the vet. This is the last that I got from her

we are going to try everything we can for digger. Within reasonable costs of course. And both diagnoses of palsy and MMM are fair priced treatments. Will try and see how we go. Vet was happy to give us drugs for dog without taking him in again cause they know the case. Whatever we try cant hurt him. Thanks everyone for the love. We will let you know how we go with treatment .

Will keep you posted.

Whatever we try cant hurt him.

. Sorry, but that is about as wrong as can be, and more so without a diagnosis :eek:

So the vet had no idea, the owner has spoken to the vet about some suggestions made on a dog forum and the vet is going to treat on that basis? I'd be finding a new vet. Seriously, the dog needs to see a vet that has a clue and can diagnose it to more than likely be this disease BEFORE treating.

Masticatory myositis is not a rare or unusual problem so all that I can think is that the "vet" who initially saw this dog is a cattle vet, or very new graduate or has been living under a rock all his career.

For the dog's sake, it needs to be seen by a vet who knows what he is doing, understands the treatment regime and is able to adequately monitor the dog's progress. The treatment isnt particularly expensive, just prolonged.

Hi everyone,

I am posting this on behalf of a friend. She has a 7month old pup which she got from the RSPCA. I will paste what she has put on Facebook so I don't get the details wrong.

My 7mth old puppys head distorted over night. And he cant open jaw. Spent a fortune at vet and they dont know what it is. Been a week now. Xrays showed nothing so they thinking it muscular skeletal. He seems to not be in pain will euthanise him if that happens. Any ideas people

They took syringes there no infection nothing. Its like a rock. On top head and side face. They thinking it internal so we giving him asprin and antibiotics just in case and benadryl.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what it may be it will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm glad to see you are receiving help.

A quick comment on the bolded bit above. Why Benadryl?

In Australia, Benadryl, is a cough suppressant. We do not have an antihistamine here of that name to my knowledge if that is what you meant. I have read of several people giving dogs Benadryl in Australia because of advice given on forums from people in the US.

Edited by ~Anne~